xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

:( I love your sig, btw rovertos!I think I can say I'm a gamer, but I don't let it consume my whole existance. It's true, once I start in on a game, I can play easily for 3 hours without noticing where the time has gone! But that happens very rarely cuz I'm so bloody busy. Mostly, like somebody already said, it's just somethin to do at like 2am when there's nothin else that needs to get done.

it's just somethin to do at like 2am when there's nothin else that needs to get done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed many people say that, they say it's OK to play games very late in the night because there is nothing that needs to be done then... Well, what about the following morning lads? If you wake up at 15:00 there's not much you can do with the rest of your day, is there?

I agree, and disagree with most of ya'll, and I'm about to make an excellent example here.I play video games alot during spare time, hence time that I'm not doing the things that are important to life, such as flirting, eating, giving my little sister money for lunch, etc. In other words, I'm not supposed to be doing anything during that time period, and that's assuming that the things I stated important to life, are already done. Including studying for tomorrow's test, then reading the mind-crushingly dull book assigned for language, etc. Also assuming I've finished calling my girl for the - 4th time that day. If that's done. Then I do my hair (believe me, I may be a guy, but this takes time) then I sit down and wait for the phone to ring so I can remember to not answer it. After the preceeding things are done, I listen to music and think, "since my life-important duties are finished which of the following should I participate in?"1- Cut the grass, (once you do it monday, it's completely unnecessary to repeat) 2- Take my "significant other" shopping, (My wallet doesn't like her very much)3- Go meet up with some friends, (Kinda pointless since I just spent the day with them)4- Play video games, (Why the hell not? Nothing else to do..)So I plug in my Ps2 and throw in the disc for Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas. This is easily the most contraversial game on the market these days, seeing as the main components of the game are:1- Shooting2- Killing (See: Shooting)3- Drugs4- Sex Many parents seem to find this a irresponsible game, but I rest my case saying that wouldn't you rather have your kid shooting/killing (see item # 2) in a video game, rather than walking outside your door with your .9mm? or a M4? Exactly. So Henceforth I can release anger, stress, and enjoy myself, while straying away from realistic illegal activity. That's why I find video games enjoyable, and a essential part of a person's physique.Tha Blk Panda

To the Topic Starter. (The one with the melon cat.)No, you are being prejuidice towards video games. Only online games are a waste of time if they are not a role-playing game. Hell, it's like creating your own story. This hack and slash crap is bull.Excuse me, but I do believe talking with people who can't spell the word "you" properly need to..*Random newb runs in*RU MY FRIEND?!??!?!??!?!?Fire the beams Dr. Spock!*noob sizzles to a crisp*Anyway, like I was saying, I simply detest people who can't type in plain english on a game. I just want to fire the beams!.. wait.. Oh dammit.Now single player roleplaying games are perfectly fine, as long as they have a deep, deep story. I read Stephen King books, and I still find Star Ocean (One, two and three) to have a deep story.Then there's Lunar Silver Star Story. I don't need a reason.Dot hack just rules.Final Fantasy... is alright.FPS aren't a waste either, they help test reflexes. :(RTS... probably has a purpose......GTA: San Andreas teaches you Gangsters can makeout.

Ok here is the thing, you can say that playing video games is a waste of time, but how come so many people are still doing it? The reasons are different for every person. Some people even play games to pass time as they got nothing to do or they did not care....Other may just play games for fun. My point is that wasting time is not the matter, but how they use it for. If it is just for a refreshment, it is okay, if it is a lifestyle it still okay, but if it is your love and life, that is ackward...

To the Topic Starter. (The one with the melon cat.)

No, you are being prejuidice towards video games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't think I'm being prejudiced towards video games. Prejudice means "An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts". I do have knowledge of the facts, since I have been playing games myself and consequently - not beforehand - formed the opinion that playing video games is a waste of time indeed.

No, I don't think I'm being prejudiced towards video games. Prejudice means "An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts". I do have knowledge of the facts, since I have been playing games myself and consequently - not beforehand - formed the opinion that playing video games is a waste of time indeed.

Incorrect my friend, that's like saying every person is bad. You can't say all video games are a waste of time if you have not played them all. You can, however, say there are certain ons that are a waste of tme.

You are joking right? Movies and books are any less time-consuming and more a valid way to spend time than Games?Why?Because its made up purely of text? It invokes imagination?Because 16 cars get blown up within the opening 15 minutes?Games are nothing less and noting more than a book or a movie except that they allow us to REALLY escape and they require skill too. Very little time in life is actually spent escaping zombies, surviving an earthquake laden city or secreting your way into Soviet territory and thats how people get to go have fun.People have lives but if they want to spend their recreation time playing a game instead of sitting on a corner in a hoodie looking like a moron in the cold, then power to them.There are far worse ways to spend your time than enjoying a great story or having to use your skills.

This Question did bug me a lot and wanted to add this.. After reading this, may be you will think again before calling games a peice of ****

[/br][br]In The Face magazine (December 1992, page 46),[/br][br]Dr Margaret Shotton, author of Computer Addiction?, is quoted as saying, ?Apart from increasing your manual dexterity and hand to eye coordination, video games speed up your neural pathways.? This, the writer says, allows knowledge to travel around quicker, thus speeding up judgements and decisions, possibly leading to a higher IQ. Margaret Shotton, like David Deutsch, believes that parents who disapprove of their children playing computer games are mistaken, but David Deutsch is sceptical about the neural pathways theory. Perhaps surprisingly, he doubts that computer games improve hand-eye coordination.[/br][br]Life improves one's hand-eye coordination. One spends one's whole life picking things up and doing fine finger movements, which one does in video games as well, but video games, if they are well designed, tend to use skills which people already have. If they go too far beyond what people already have, they tend to be less attractive as video games. They are then more like playing the piano, which requires a new kind of physical skill. Video games do not really impart a new kind of physical skill; what they impart is the fundamental mental skill, of understanding a complex and autonomous world.[/br]

I have to agree to everything about the waste of time, and i don't care for violence....But what else am i going to do with my free time :D and what are games for if they don't have some action "halo2=thebest"I personally tried quiting a old game...but something always brings me back to it, but this is life and i'm living it the way i want to.

games are cool,games were made for to have fun not to make ppl who hate violence and who are gay to get pissed,everyone plays games from 7 yr kids to 78 yr old grannies lol,im not jokin games are not a waste of time when u are bored and have time to waste,they build in some action within you and make you a different person,if sumone is scared and ***** they snap outta it and feel better when they play a game,since they kno they just kicked a alien or zombies a$s lol