xisto Community
husker

No More Private Schools

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that don't like private schools. If kids have more money and the parents are willing to pay it, they can get a better education and more personal help. It seems unfair to the kids that cannot afford to pay the money to go to a private school, yet they need to be. This is an example of when money does buy power. So here's what I think we need to do. Get rid of private schools and turn them into regular schools. Would it really hurt those kids in the private schools to go to a public school? I thought about this for colleges too, making them all cheaper and the same price, but I figured that wouldn't be fair to the professors that know more than the others. But, something does need to be done about that too. It's really not fair that people with more money can produce more successful kids. For example, I have a friend in a private school. He has about 20 people in his class compared to the 600 in mine. One of his reasons he went was because everyone that goes to that school makes the basketball team. It's not fair that I will have to work hard to make my basketball team (if I do make it) when he is automatically on his team. Don't get me wrong, I am really good friends with him and I do respect his school, I just don't like the idea of a private school. And it's not just private schools, but any schools that require extra money to get into. Anyone else feel like this?

Edited by husker (see edit history)

well, i have not ever thought of it like this. but i never really understood private schools. Aren't they just a place where the rich kids get to go? I have never been very fond of rich kids, because all of the ones that I have met played all nice and what not around their parents and were total jerks around other kids, but I agree, private schools are just a better path for kids with rich parents to get a better education compared to kids like us who have 600+ students in there class.

Ok, I understand where you're argument's coming from and I agree with you in that context, but you have to realize that other cases exist. Take for example Catholic schools. Some people feel that education is not complete without God in them, but not everyone feels that way. If all schools were public, these people would probably be either rallying to allow prayer in school or reinstate private schools because they feel that their rights have been taken away.And colleges (I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, I'm heading to college next year and won't know where I'm getting the money from) come in different sizes and specializations. I'm sure it costs more to keep open the Harvard Library System (4th largest in the world) than say one at the University of Florida. Plus some colleges are just bigger than others and therefore require more maintenance. Besides paying for those Nobel laureate professors, there's also the prestige factor associated with colleges and price. Strangely enough, some people think that college quality is directly proportional to tuition costs. If Harvard were to say reduce their tuition cost to $3,000 a year, there goes that elitism traditionally associated with Harvard.I mean, it's a nice idea to reduce the power of private education in Western culture, but there are too many factors against it.Plus, about that basketball team: If anyone can get into it, doesn't it mean that yours will be better because you have to work for it? Sometimes public is better. :blink:

I go to a private school, and I disagree with what you guys are saying about it being for "rich kids". The majority of kids in my school aren't "rich", including me. Private schools are just an alternative to public schooling. The public schools in some areas are just so~ messed up, that nobody with a choice would go there. That's why private schools are made: to provide a better education than you could get for free from the government, and also to provide a choice.

Edited by Shunkan Idou (see edit history)

I would have to disagree with you. I would like to start of by saying that I graduated from a private school myself. You also have to keep in mind that life isn't fair and that if you have more money, you simply do get more advantages. In private schools, you usually just join the athletic teams immediately because they don't have enough people (and the fact that they payed to get into the school).

I would also like to argue with someone that says, "Private schools are just for stuck-up rich kids". Trust me, some kids aren't all that "rich". Some of them are actually in the middle class and their parents work very hard for them to get into a private school. Getting rid of private schools won't just solve the problem for "unfairness". If someone is richer than you, they have a bigger houses, cars, etc; it's a fact which nobody can argue with.

When I went to a private school, I was already ahead of almost everybody else in a public school. When I took the SAT it proved that just proved I was ahead (almost scoring a perfect score). And so I would like to ask you a question -- why would you want to get rid of private schools? Just so everybody could be equal? Wouldn't that be a slightly leaned on the "communist" side?

Basketball team? Kid if you really want to be on the team then you should work for it. There isn't much statisfaction from making the team automatically then If you were to make it based on your skills. Also, how good do you think this team is going to be if everybody makes it? When I was in High School, there wasn't any automatic spots, I had to work hard just to make the frosh team, but eventually got better.I do kind of see where you are coming from, but there are still very successful people that come out of public school.

I would have to disagree with you. I would like to start of by saying that I graduated from a private school myself. You also have to keep in mind that life isn't fair and that if you have more money, you simply do get more advantages. In private schools, you usually just join the athletic teams immediately because they don't have enough people (and the fact that they payed to get into the school).

I would also like to argue with someone that says, "Private schools are just for stuck-up rich kids". Trust me, some kids aren't all that "rich". Some of them are actually in the middle class and their parents work very hard for them to get into a private school. Getting rid of private schools won't just solve the problem for "unfairness". If someone is richer than you, they have a bigger houses, cars, etc; it's a fact which nobody can argue with.

When I went to a private school, I was already ahead of almost everybody else in a public school. When I took the SAT it proved that just proved I was ahead (almost scoring a perfect score). And so I would like to ask you a question -- why would you want to get rid of private schools? Just so everybody could be equal? Wouldn't that be a slightly leaned on the "communist" side?

Hmm? Are you disagreeing with me, or with the majority of the posters in this topic. I pretty much said what you said except in a "softer" way, to avoid flaming. Edited by Shunkan Idou (see edit history)

You know I sort of feel the same way but you know I think it's more of the fact that they have to pay more for the resources that they have private school. If you are willing to pay more for extra teaching and more expensive technology so be it. Although the idea might not seem more egalitarian. I am not really sure what to say, I could really lean either way.

Plus, about that basketball team: If anyone can get into it, doesn't it mean that yours will be better because you have to work for it? Sometimes public is better. :blink:

Yes, but they usually only play other private schools, so it doesn't seem to matter anyway. They will still play people with about their same talent.

Private schools are just an alternative to public schooling. The public schools in some areas are just so~ messed up, that nobody with a choice would go there. That's why private schools are made: to provide a better education than you could get for free from the government, and also to provide a choice.

I think it's bad that someone would choose a private school over a public just because the public school seems to be a mess. It a situation people will have to deal with later on in life. Everyone will have to walk into an uncomfortable place at some point, so why not learn to deal with it while your young? Also, people get a better education because they pay for it. Now I do understand that some people aren't rich that go to there, but they can't be poor either. I think it's unfair to those in the lower class (this isn't my family's financial situation. If it was I wouldn't be on a computer) It's cruel to give some people a choice and other's not based off their money. And regarding Osknockout comment about religious schools, I think they are fine, as long as the people there are in it for the education and religion. I think if the private schools disappeared except for religious ones, then everyone could still share their talents without using money to get a higher education. It gives everyone a fair chance to be great at something. Don't get me wrong, I like the education the private schools offer and the kids that come out go on to do great things usually. I don't think the kids at private schools are "stuck up" either, they are just like everyone else except with a few differences. But please don't tell me that kids at private schools are just as rich as kids at public schools. If that was the case, everyone would be at a private schools. So money does plays at least a little bit of a factor in the case of private schools.

Why do you think America is doing SO horrible in school. Worse then third world countries. The reason... they really just don't care about schooling. What they care about is $$$. I am not talking about George Bush either. I'm talking about the teachers. They could have the schools like in Europe. In Europe what they do is every school is open to each and every child. If it's 2 hrs away they can still go. This is a great idea because this makes schools that are doing bad shut down or get better teachers. If a teacher is doing bad they WANT to get rid of them so that kids don't leave. If kids leave they lose money. Instead in America teachers just want money without actually having to do anything. You should all look up the process of getting a teacher fired. It's nearly impossible. They actually have had child molesting teachers teach because of the process the teachers created. The entire American school system is a pile of **** and it's true. Everyone here knows it. You have to have money to get good schooling. What irony. In America, pursuit of happiness only comes with money. Oh well American schools will never change. If they do it wont be in my life time. I just feel sorry for the pore kids that will have to go through the public school system.One last thing... I went to a Catholic School for about 3 1/2 years. I HATED it. I can totally understand if you want God in your schooling. It's your belief, but just the actual school was horrible. They had a new principle every year and new teachers. Sometimes i would come home and cry because they would give me over 3-4 hrs of homework to do. I was like 9 at the time. My parents finally pulled me out because they thought the school was a joke. Now i also understand not all Catholic or private schools are like this, but this has been my experience."so i got banned and play this" i see your new, but try to type words out. It just makes you look lazy is all. I'm not trying to be mean, but Trap 17 tries to keep the forums neat and tidy.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

no matter what you do, not everyone is going to be 'equal'take out the private schools, ok.so know you have all the 'rich kids' that youre so worried about coming into the public school system. do you think that their parents, who were so concerned about their schooling, would let them be just like any of the other kids? of course not.i transferred from a private school to a public school recently (believe me, im not rich, but i collect social security since my mom died, thats what paid for my school) and even in the public school no one was equal.even in a small public school, there are different groups of people, so you can never be truly 'equal'for instance, the AP Biology 2 class, which was of course all the smartest seniors, had the option of going to South Carolina to help out with the recovery of animals that were harmed by poachers (alligators, crocs, whatever they have in SC)but of course, only the rich kids could afford it. the government doesnt pay for stuff like that :blink:

no matter what you do, not everyone is going to be 'equal' ... Do you think that their parents, who were so concerned about their schooling, would let them be just like any of the other kids? of course not.

I totally agree. I'm from a private high school but went to a public university. For one, government owned institutions often suffer from budget cuts, as I have witnessed in my college years. We'd have wobbly chairs, broken fans, stuffy classrooms and a very limited number of personnel to clean up the place. Still, that didn't stop me (or my parents) from enrolling me into the "best" university in the country. (I use the term "best" loosely, out of respect for other rival institutions) I mean, why equate a high cost with high quality?

True, private schools have more resources but that's the crucial part where the difference lies. I've found out, from a fellow Computer Science student in a rival private institution, that their lessons cater mainly to programs that run on medium to high-end computers. She confided that she finds her classes focued more on the commercial value of the programs they'd be making. We, on the other hand, had to do with scarce resources. We're not taught much on high-level languages but we do know how they work. Heck, we even marvelled at the beauty of Assembly at one time or another!

This is not to say do away with private schools "coz public schools are all that dang good anyway". Au contraire, my point is that the difference called "resources" are very crucial for the progress of the society. A quote from the movie, The Ant Bully: "It is these differences that make us strong as a colony." If everyone only knew high-level languages, we'd have operating systems that run even slower than they already do right now. If everyone worked on low-level languages, we'd undoubtedly have faster applications but we'd also have horribly longer development time for even just one module!

So private schools are not all that bad. It's certainly a great convenience to have one's own books, not to have to share desks with anyone else, not to have to scrabble along with everyone else in the cafeteria line and study in a pretty sheltered bubble. I should know, I've been in both kinda schools :blink:

So just chill :wacko:

Going to the original post, I have my personal feelings on the matter where I wouldn't agree with you on. I've been in both kinds of schools as well, and I personally prefer the private schools.Many people put their children into private schools because they're supposed to be better environments than public schools, not necessarily because they offer better eduation. In the case of my private school, and others like mine, they have Bible classes and the like and various religious activities. The school isn't there just for better eduacation in everyone elses eyes, but that our eduation is based off of Chrisitianity.And it's not just those who have parents with more money attending these schools. Me and my family, from all areas around, probably rank just on the poverty level. Sure, we have a decent house that we live in, and a car that hasn't lost all it's nuts and bolts yet, but in terms of our attending the school we go to, we're barely making ends meet with the normal bills, so us kids are thankful for the work program our school makes mandatory. There is a purpose for private schools, and even if we're talking about the non-religious affiliation schools, they're there for more than just one reason. You mentioned taxes, I don't see what the problem is for you. We all have to pay taxes, which means we're who don't go to public school are paying for your buses that make us late to school and many other things the government provides for you, all of which we don't use.Also, it's not that we're trying to be separated from the rest of the world. I have friends who aren't in private school who are doing just fine in public schools. If you're going on the better eduation, I don't see what's so wrong with parents wanting the best for their children.I think I'm going to stop my rambling and just say that it sounds like you are a student who wouldn't be able to afford some private schools and so you're complaining. If you really want to attend one, you'll find a way. Me and my family are. Maybe I don't know exactly what's got you upset, but I don't think you've really thought it all out. There are reasons behind having private schools, but they aren't to make those in public schools feel inferior. Personally, if anything, I would be pushing myself to break that idea that those who go to private school are better and do better in life than those in public. Break the mold if you think it's really the case. It's really just a state of mind in my opinion. There's many people who've gone through public schools that are doing fantastic in the rest of their lives. They didn't all go to Harvard and Princton or anything.

Edited by Teri Luketic (see edit history)

Its not about the quality of the education, Its about the ability of the student to learn. If you are rich and enrolled in a private school, but you have a poor IQ you still wont learn. If you are not that rich and enrolled in a public school but you have a quite high IQ, you can stil pwn the kids at your level enrolled in a private school. Its a matter of self studying. I'm enrolled in a private school when I'm in high-school but I got all my knowledge about math, science and technology, Computers from the internet. I just like the school because of good facilities. In college, its different, alot of students want to enroll in a state college or university not just because its cheap but because of the reputation. State colleges are built before I am born but private school are just new(some are old). Most public or government universities here in our country is much beautiful than the private ones.