xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tractor

Bomb Threat Costume

I can't seem to find the story now but.In norway a team of 25 bomb experts had to rush to the scene of a colleage sunday morning. Apparently a student had dressed up as a suicide bomber for halloween and accidently left a prop on a car outside. The prop was a box with wires sticking out. The student called polive after he saw it on the news and told them. He was arrested but no changes are filed. I think it is weird he dressed as a suicide bomber. And why did the police take a cardboard box so seriously?

I am from the UK and when I was a student there was lot of IRA activity going on in London at the time..

We had a Hallooween party one year and some students came dressed as IRA terrorists and had ski masks on etc..also they had been to the local Army+Navy store (in the uk we have stores that sell old army equipment and clothes.lol one day I bought an air raid siren...great fun for your neighbours..lol thats another story..) and they bought these anti tank shell cases..they are like long tubes of reinforced cardboard for holding anti tank shell but they are painted in army colours and have army code numbers etc painted on the sides..

They were standing outside the party with these on thier shoulders shouting in at the party that they were going to blow up the party!! we all had a great laugh looking out the windows at these guys...untill the whole of Londons police arrived in the street and shut it off and tried to work out what was going on...

Boy were the police p***** all the guys got arrested and all charged with wasting police time and the ones that had the anti tank covers were all charged with carrying an offensive weapon ;() this means they actually got criminal records for a prank...

Also in the UK last year there was a Muslim demonstration on the streets of London about the cartoons in the Danish newspapers...one idiot turned up dressed as a suicide bomber with a bomb strapped to his stomach...

He was out of prison on parole for being convicted of dealing drugs so the police arrested him and then sent him back to prison...

Read the news here from the BBC from last year...The best news site in the world

So guys rememeber these stories before you dress up as a terrorist or hold fake weapons or bombs..

The police are SOO paranoid about these things at the moment so its really not a wise thing to do..

Marky;)

Wow, that is stupid, I mean it may have seemed fun at the time, but didn't he think what would happen if the police saw him, or a member of the public phoned the police to say there was a suicide bomber. Police will jump at anything :blink:

How can they expect not for the police to come is what I want to know? Things have to be taken seriously these days because of all the terrorist attacks that have occurred. They don't know who people really are and Halloween makes things worse. You never know who is behind a mask or whatever. If I saw a cardboard box with wires I don't know what's really inside there so I'll treat it as a bomb and stay away. Even if it is a joke they could just be saying that or whatever.

I was thinking who would dress up as a bomber? Thats like dressing up like saddam. Or dressing up as a killer and leaving a gun. Or a lot of other things. I think that some people make stupid choices. I think they should be taught a lesson and get like ahh $1000 fine. And maybe never go to halloween partys again.

I had a good laugh reading this thread. I don't find it that strange that someone would dress up like a suicide bomber, isn't the point to scare people... but the police taking that kids props for real... I think it is true what they say about the police... that they are really stupid. I can tell you that in my country you could leave whole bags with TNT in the subway or in the street and no one will notice.And besides who would put a bomb at a Halloween party? I'm pretty sure Bush was there dressed as Bin Laden... :blink:

They say that hindsight is 20/20. Granted, it was Halloween - but I dont think it was the old fashioned bomb with a black ball and fuse. And the thing is, the person responsible for dealing with the threat of real bombs can't afford the luxury of assuming that a potential bomb is a fake - they have to take each case with as much care as the last. There is little room for error, because the stakes are so high.

I can tell you that in my country you could leave whole bags with TNT in the subway or in the street and no one will notice.

Somehow I dont think that it makes it ok. But if where you live is completely desensitized to potential dangers like that, then you have bigger problems. I would consider emigrating to somewhere safer... :blink:

I agree that it wasn't a smart thing to do considering the controversy at the moment, but I'll admit I'm not surprised - I had actually thought of it myself (not that I would ever do such a thing), and it's very amusing to hear that someone gave it a try, although once again, it wasn't the brightest choice for now.

well a while back, someone in the US got shot like 9 times for taking a bite off of a pear, and then throwing it. police thought it was a grenade. imagine how messed up you could get for wearing something that even moderately made you look like a terrorist

Unfortunately, this proves that terrorists are successful in what they are trying to do, instill fear in to the general population. Given the current state of mind of most authorities in basically any country, this was a REALLY stupid thing to do. Not only that, it obviously has waste the already strained resources of the police, diverting them actual crimes therefore putting other people at risk. Of course the police took the 'threat' seriously. Halloween is perfect cover for someone trying to get away planting a real bomb. For the sake of the community, the police must treat every threat as real.Clearly no thought at all went in to this little prank, those responsible should be sent a bill for the time wasted by the police, then they might think a little bit more before doing something like this again.

Avalon,I think they probably got a big leachure and a few fines. Since they evacuated the school and the school was out they probably got fined by the school maybe even kicked out. This was no thing to joke about but i don't even know why somone would dressup like that for halloween. Im sure he didn't go trick or treating since he is too old and probably went to a party or dance. I think the people there could have thought he was a real bomber.

That was really dumb, I dont think anyone would find something like that funny from whats going around the world with terrorism. Of course the police are going to get upset, because they take things like that really seriously and when they find out it was nothing, well what do you think they will do?

And why did the police take a cardboard box so seriously?

Let me tell you a story from my military service; a few years ago we on foot patrol in a remote area of our area of operations where the point (leader of the patrol) sighted a small object on the ground with the same size as a Yougoslavian PMA mine. It was rather dark and rainy and being on soft ground with vegetation we halted, called EOD for backup and waited. We stood there in the freezing rain for about three hours until the area was cleared and it turned out to be a box of smokeless tobacco someone had thrown away.

Why did we stop and wait for three hours? It was an unknown object, we could not clearly see what it was, and the lifes of the squad members was at risk. The same applies in the civilian life, any unaccounted for object in the street, railway stations, bus stops and so on has to be dealt with with the greatest care as it is your life that is at risk.

Any Londoner who experienced the frequent IRA bombings in the 1970s and 1980s will tell the same thing - that is why the police took the cardboard box so seriously.

I think the suicide bomber haloween costume was silly and not appropriate considering the change in the western community since 9/11, Lebanon - Israel conflict and Iraq.