xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SwampDog

Connection Problems And High Ping Playing Battlefield 2

Anyone know of a solution to the connection problems, lag issues and high ping that I have only recently started having while playing BF2?My system is only 2 weeks old... AMD 4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, SoundBlaster Audigy 4, EVGA 7900GS and to be honest the game play sucks. Constant disconnects, sound hanging up like a stuck record, just prior to entering a game online.The first time I try to join my regular server I get "there's a problem with your connection" and kicks me.I try again and get in this time, then my ping goes crazy, sometimes up to 900 and then I get kicked for high ping.It seems to have started after the 1.4 patch. Is anyone having a similar problem? I'm really looking for some help solving this mystery.I read an archived post on this site from 1 year ago, from a guy who was having the exact problem. I never did find out if he found a solution.My main computer has a modem from Verizon. I have DSL and also a router on it. My second computer is wired into the router with a CAT 5e cable. I'm getting the high ping on both computers but the initial disconnect that I described is only happening on my newest computer as well as the audio getting stuck, in a loop, prior to entering the game.Also game play is jerky. I think I've got that pretty well worked out by toning down the video settings but I was told when I got the new computer that the 7900 GS would work just fine on the higher settings. I guess not. Anyway if someone could offer me suggestions, I'd sure like to get this thing fixed. Thanks

It could be the fact that you have two connections working on the same router thus driving it crazy , do this disconnect one of them and work off that see what happens.

Well, I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 Pentium M 1.86 1gb ram and a 128mb ati x300 video card and my ping is around ~80 (Playing from Turkey wireless broadband)The game itself, is very buggy so expect some sort of lag, no matter what you system is.I would also suggest doing: Ctrl + Alt + Del then going to processes and then ending a few of them. You'll learn not to end some important ones like explorer.exe because you need those for your computer to function. That always helps me a lot. Turn off anything you can afford to and maybe the lag stuff might be fixed.You could also try totalbf2.com they have a huge forum about bugs in the game and solutions. Then there is always waiting for a new patch and downloading that so that might also help.You could also try setting the video quality to Low and see if its a computer or internet problem...Hope that helps.

There are many ways to reduce your lag, one of them is mentioned in the above post (By adjusting your graphics and sound settings so that the computer isn't putting as much effort into ensuring that these are of a better standard than they actually need to be.However, it is not just the game settings that are causing this high ping. Nowadays, many internet players, maybe from different countries, have faster connections than others. If the majority of the players on the server have a faster connection than you, then you will experience lag (They will be making the speed of the game quicker).Also, when joining a server, on the browser list, it is a good idea/good practice to check the ping of the server (Shown as latency on the server list). The lower this number is, the better the speed/quality it will be on your computer.You will never have top notch quality when playing over the internet as many people come and go, different events within the game happen (which cause the game to freeze for a very small amount of time whilst the server updates).Even I receive the high ping / there is a problem with your connection message. It becomes quite annoying at times, but the only real way to get rid of it is to have a faster connection and check for the latency on the server list. Software and hardware firewalls are also responsible for quite a few slow-downs on the game. However, these are required in order to ensure that your computer remains stable and virus free.Hope you find these tips helpful :blink:

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

Well i dont think that your system performance would affect so much your internet performance. For fix the jerky gameplay, you need to tweak your video card to work better on performance than in quality.I dont know what can cause your high ping, but i may have an idea. I play Unreal Tournament 2004, which is very similar to BF2, and i've been having ping issues for long time. Sometimes, your ISP is what causes those lag problems, even if your ISP gives you a fast speed, they may have experiencing issues with their network. That happened to me a while ago.Also, sometimes, you would just be having Lag Spikes, that is when you lost the connection to the server for a bit, but that is caused by the Server you are playing in. Or other, like i said about the issues with the ISP's, you have network slowdowns, like, in my game, sometimes im playing with 80 ping and suddenly my ping goes up to 500, and it stays like that for 10 seconds or so, and then goes back to normal.Generally, these ping and packetloss problems are always cause by Wireless connections, but if you say your router is wired to your PC's, there would not be any problem.Try testing your Net speed in some pages like http://www.bandwidthplace.com/, and see how much speed you are getting, it must be a little bit lower than what your ISP says, like about 200kbps less, but not so much, if you get a real lower number, then is your ISP fault.

to lower ping and reduce lag get adware remover by lavasoft and get rid of your adware then there is a program out there called (end it all) this stops the programs running in the background kinda like control alt delete but it does a better job it stops the ones you cant see running. then finally shut down your firewall only during game play-scott

Well I have a hp pavillion dv9500, with 4gb ram, geforce 8600gs, intel duo T7500 to.20 ghz, also my connection from speedtest.net got me 10000 kbs download and 7000 kbs upload with a ping of 28, yet whenever I try to join a server on bf2 my ping is through the roof, anyone got a solution because I am stuck. I've even lowered my video settings and everything (even though I think my hardware should handle it). I do have vista, which I think could be the problem, but I still don't have a solution. Any help would be great!-UBu_BU

Thank you to the people who left the above suggestions for reducing @!*@!! PING in battlefield 2142 cause it was driving me mad!!I configured my graphics settings for radeon ATI 1550X to setting that delivered high performance rather than high quality and also hit cnt alt del n terminated about 10 processes that were not needed.-be careful not to terminate any with SYSTEM as the user cause you may do damage.My ping is now always below 30, it was an average 700 b4 even reaching over 1000!!-Dan (bazoker) Bf2142

High Ping Rate of 200 (Avg)

Yeah, I'm having that same damn problem. Right when I get an award, or our team is about to win in Battlefield 2, it kicks me off saying I have an Avg high Ping rate of around 200. That's bull****. I paid good money for this game; EA Sports needs to figure something out QUICK...

Sincerely,

-Justin

Solution for Vista

As far as vista goes.. Set it to run as an administrator.

Right click / properties / compatibility / and it's at the bottom.

I get the high ping often too. And I have no idea what it's from.

In fact.. That's why I'm on here. I see it kicking people for that

Reason often while I'm playing. I think a lot of it has to do with.

The game servers. As was mentioned earlier. I've even favorited Ones that I havn't been kicked from so that I have a handful to go

Back to that I know for sure will keep me in. There's nothing

More annoying than being kicked with a high score.

You can have the best computer and still have high ping

If you live out in the country then there is a good chance you will be to far away from the server and that results in high ping. If live close or in a big city then your ping should be low...

-reply by James

Just a Reply

I have the same problem with the racing ping but what I have found, maybe it was just a coincidence. I lost my connection with a server, I had a score of about 29, banged out of it. Joined the same server after clearing some things, like running Windows Cleanup, Disk Cleanup and Deleting History in Internet Option. Anyway, I joined the same server, was forced to the other team and still retained my previous score of 29.

Couldn't believe it was possible but its good to see it has that advantage.

-reply by Ben Green

Geforce 8600GS

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I was wondering if you had any gaming issues in general with this video card. BF2 is the only game I play and I'm looking into a new PC and I wanted to know how well the video card worked for you. Thanks, you can reach me at stevenberry54@gmail.Com.

Thanks!!

-reply by Steven

high lag

My ping goes from 80 to 1500 with in seconds and its stopping me play my pr(project reality) on bf2.

Its on a wireless connection, so I believe thats my issue, ive try repatching, reinstalling.

The game.

Punkbuster is up to date.

Anyhelp be appreciated

-question by l.T downsy

I enter a low ping server of about 60 ping and when i get in my ping jumps up way high

I just had recently rebooted my computer, I used to have windows xp professional on there when I got a virus trying to rip a cd into my computer. That caused my bf2 servers to load so slow that I to wait 10 to 15 minutes to actually get into one server, but my ping was always fine and under about 70. I recently rebooted my computer using the windows xp home addition and everything worked it took out the virus and now I load my bf2 servers in less than a minute, but now whenever I get into a server that has a low ping, when I join my ping instantly goes up past 500 then it will go down back to about 70-100 then a few seconds later it will jump back up to over 500. It jumps up and down constantly from a low ping to a really high ping within seconds. Its really starting to piss me off because I didnt have a ping issue before I rebooted it when I had the virus in my computer. If anyone with info can help It would be highly appreciated..Thanx art.