xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Gspace (gmail Space)

Firefox has a plugin called G-mail Space (GSpace) that takes your 2GB of storage and allows you to use it for other files like music, pictures, programs and what not. It works really like an FTP system although you don't have a URL just enter your Gmail name and password and you can store files. You can then use those files to send in an email or to transfer computers by going on GSpace on another computer, logging in and downloading the file. If you have multiple accounts that doubles your space although you can't combine them. You can access the files from Firefox. To download go here, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Oh... My...... Merciful... Heavens...Is there a size limit to what you can upload into the GSpace?Even with a size limit, this is going to make my life SO much easier... I'm currently using library computers, which require reinstalling software, which at the moment requires cds.2GB of stuff to save and not have to lug around and a system even I can understand... o_O

Wow. Sweet, only with Firefox. I'm just wondering... could other people download these files, or are they YOU only? It could come in really handy if other people could download them. I guess I'll just go take a look....

I think there's already a topic about this, somewhere. Anywho, others cannot download the files, unless you provide them with username and password. All the extension does is sends yourself an email with the uploaded file attached to it. You can do the same thing manually. And i think the size limit is 10mbs. Could have changed, though.

Pretty sure I read this on a topic somewhere, but it acts like a internet USB drive, which is too similar to a ftp server if not the same. But then again there have been other types of dedicated storage sites in the past, and also particular popular picture/video ones such as photobucket and so forth

Friends I am using a software "GMail Drive shell extension" for this purpose.

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual drive in the Windows Explorer, allowing you to use your Google GMail account as a storage medium.

It allows you to do basic file manipulation, such as copy and delete of files inside the GMail account. Because it is a Shell Extension, the interface you work in is Windows Explorer itself.

GMail Drive appears as a virtual drive under your My Computer folder in Windows Explorer.
You can:
Navigate between files and folders using the familiar Explorer folder view.

Do basic file manipulations, such as create folders and delete files.
Use copy and paste as you would normally do in Explorer to copy files around.
Use drag'n'drop to quickly move files between folders.
Show information about volumes and files using the Properties dialogs.

How It Works

GMail Drive works by directly manipulating emails inside your Google GMail account.

When you copy a file to the GMail Drive folder, it internally creates and sends an e-mail to your account. The file content is sent as an e-amail attachment.
When the Shell Extension needs to display a directory listing of your GMail account, it submits a GMail search query using the sparsely documented GMail Protocol API. It searches for all e-mails starting with the word "
GMAILFS". From the returned search result, it builds a directory structure, which is displayed in the Shell Extension.

Because all GMail Drive files appear as regular e-mails in your Google GMail account, you may want to set up a GMail filter that automatically moves all e-mails containing "GMAILFS" to the archived folder. This way, GMail Drive files won't clutter up your GMail account.

A typical GMail File looks like this inside your GMail account:

GMAILFS: /folder/filename.txt [123;n;1]

You can find the actual file content inside each mail as an e-mail attachment.

The file size is limited to 10 Mb because this is the attachment size limit Google imposes on all mails. Since the filename must be available on the message subject line, the full filename length is limited to 40 characters.

Here is da Download Link:
http://www.viksoe.dk/gmail/

I have read about converting gmail space into storage medium before but am unsure what the maximum file size could be. Until now what I have come to know is that the max upload is 10 mb which could be inadequate sometimes. I guess if there could be way of increasing the upload size it would be great.

the problem, as stated above too, is that your uploaded files cannot be accessed and downloaded by other people... however, you can go to box.net - it is a great filesharing service with a nice-looking interface (no, I`ve got no connection to the owner of the site- I just like it :lol: )

for fire fox users there is an extension ..This extension allows you to use your Gmail Space (2 GB) for file storage.It acts as a remote machine. You can transfer files between your hard drive and gmail.This is similar to "Gmail Drive" on windows platform. Your gmail accoun t looks like a FTP host and you can upload and download your files.After you in stall, you get an option called "GSpace" in your "tools" menu clicking on which opens the window for transfer of folders/files.Works great for photos and music files less than 14MB.Gmail File Space (aka Gspace) is a Firefox extension that adds an FTP-style interface to your Gmail account, allowing you to use it like a hard drive or server of sorts.Reminiscent of previously-mentioned Gmail Drive and gDisk, Gspace is another cool Firefox extension to take advantage of the now over 2.5GB of storage offered by Gmail. You can upload both files or entire folders.The downside - Gspace is still limited to Google's 10MB attachment limit, and you can't upload .exe files, etc. Of course, you can fool Gmail by changing the file extensions.As always, keep in mind that what you're doing may violate Gmail's ToS, so you may want to register a seperate dummy account.

f you have heard of GMail Drive, then you will find GSpace very similar to that. GSpace extension allows users to use the 2GB allocated GMail Space for file storage, treating the GMail server as though it is a remote FTP server. What?s impressive here is that, it is capable of uploading files that are greater than 10MB in size!After installation, there will be an option ?GSpace? appearing in the Tools menu, which you can click on to open a window to transfer your folder or file. Given your GMail account username and password, you will be able to sign in and log on to the remote host. The remote view should indicate ?gs:/? in the textbox, and will be empty since there are no files uploaded yet.New Features * ? Added Cut/Copy/Paste/Rename Options to the remote (gmail) file system * ? Added SendTo option which enables you to send files to your friends * ? Added ?Image Panel? using which you can see the ?images? directly without downloading * ? Improved the interface by adding file properties, etc * ? Improved the stability.In GSpace, there is a button called ?Filter? which filters the filees based on the filesize, when enabled, it only shows files that are less than 10MB in size, as according to the maximum attachment size in GMail. All other buttons are pretty straightforward, as the tooltips will describe the functions of each buttons.

Firefox has a plugin called G-mail Space (GSpace) that takes your 2GB of storage and allows you to use it for other files like music, pictures, programs and what not. It works really like an FTP system although you don't have a URL just enter your Gmail name and password and you can store files. You can then use those files to send in an email or to transfer computers by going on GSpace on another computer, logging in and downloading the file. If you have multiple accounts that doubles your space although you can't combine them. You can access the files from Firefox. To download go here, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Try DriveHQ.com, it blows away GDrive.
Automatic online backup;
Real enterprise-class FTP and SMTP hosting;
Folder Synchronization;
Group Sharing with read or read-write access, etc...

so mean once we use GMAILFS we are violating their rules? who made gmail? gmailfs is not a gmail software ryte? omg i am using my very love gmail account for uploading files now should i delete my files there? and made another account? man once i use gmailfs am i already hacking gmail account? need more clarification pls reply thank you.