xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deathzero

Trojan /spyware Protection---best---low Resource Util. PROTECTION LOW RECURSES UTIL .

My eyes have been completely opened to all this spyware/Trojan junk... :) I'm behind a hardware firewall in my Router----running Windows firewall----using the very latest Nortons AV.... I seem very secure against "viruses" :) But this spyware/trojan thing..... :P Oh my! :P Just had a horrible experience with Aurora/ShopNav/BetterInternet because one of my son's friends violated our rules and downloaded and ran some junk. 5 hours later and a windows reformat and all is well again----but I could kill the kid. I am an overclocker/enthusiast/gamer/motherboard tester and I HATE running tons of Apps in the background. I like fast, snappy machines and ones that CPU utilization is not being eaten up by background apps.... So----having said all that.... What would be a good application to use to keep this stuff (trojans)off my computers----one that ran in the background----was the least intrusive to my operations and used the least amount of resources. I don't mind paying for good products so it doesn't have to be free..... Suggestions welcome......

I like fast, snappy machines and ones that CPU utilization is not being eaten up by background apps....

Everybody likes to have these features in his computer.I don't consider Norton as a good antivirus as it eats a lot of resources, a better option would be Avast, McAfee or AVG.
The danger of viruses, trojans, spywares is from internet so you should run these products only when you are online and put them off while offline.
And for findng and killing spys and trojans I use and recommend "Xoft Spy". After you have closed you internet connection just run these application for 3-4 minutes, all the spys and trojans will be caught.

I'm not sure of the antispyware softwares that you have to pay for, but I think that Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal does everything for me. It scans pretty decently and I always use every once and a while. Try it out if you want at download.com You can also check out other spyware software to download and buy at download.com too. Hoped this helped, good luck.

I like avg, its free and has never given me any problems. I have been spyware and virus free for almost a year now. I run the spybot search and destroy about twice a month and it hasnt had any problems either. Its all browsing the internet wisely, if it wasnt for that kid you probably would have any problems. I have heard that Norton antivirus is pretty heavy for the machine.

I just use AVG to scann for viruses once a month, as I am not really that bothered viruses. If I downloaded more stuff that I wasn't sure about, or went to dodgey sites, I probebly would run it more. I also run Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware SE every months.I don't like Norton as it is very very bloated.

The best tools for you would be:

DiamondCS TDS3 - Trojan Defence Suite 3 (The best of them all!, but it was discontinued, be one more to ask for it.)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

DiamondCS Process Guard

This tool is the best, it blocks rootkits, spyware, and protect your computer from dll files used by trojans.

DiamondCS Port Explorer

Free online trojan scanner

http://www.windowsecurity.com/pages/trojanscan.html

This is what it says, try it, and use it regurlaly.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)