xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DarkPsycho

What Is An Amino Acid?

Ok here is an example:

H	  |NH2 - C - COOH	  |	  R
or
H	   H	   OH	  \	 |	 /	N - C - C  /	 |	 \\H	   R	   O
Ok the C is what is called the central carbon. The NH2 is called the amino group, which is a nitrogen atom and 2 hydrogen atoms. The COOH is the carboxyl group, which is made up of a carbon, two oxygens, and a hydrogen atom. The most important part is the R group, or the variable group. What that is determines the type of amino acid it is.
Amino acids attach to eachother through peptide bonds. The reaction between the acids is called a condensation reaction, where one water molecule is taken from the two acids. One hydrogen from the NH2 of one acid and an O and H from the COOH of the other one. Here is what it looks like afterward:
H	   H	   H   H	   OH  \	 |	   |   |	 /	N - C - C - N - C - C  /	 |   ||	  |	 \\H	   R	O	  R	   O

Amino acids in long chains form proteins. I would go into further detail, but I don't know that much more on the subject.

I wrote a report on amino acids in 7th grade. The amino acid structure is described by RNA in cells. I believe there are 23 amino acids that humans have. I wish I could find that report.

I believe there are 20 different types of amino acids. 3+ amino acids make up a polypeptide, and polypeptides make up protein from what I understand in my bio class.

Primary Structure: A string of Amino AcidsSecondary Structure: Interactions in side chains (R groups) cause folding and coiling (Alpha Helix and Beta Sheet)Tertiary Structure: The overall 3-D structure of the Protein.Quaternary Structure: Two or more poly-peptide subunits.atleast from what i've learned...and wow, 7th grade...makes me feel dumb. I just learned this and I'm a freshman in high school :)

There are actually 22 known amino acids. Although I am not sure about this number but I think only 20 are found in our bodies. I remember learning about them in biology last year. (bad memories) They help build cells as well and antibodies to fight off viruses and bacteria. They do a lot more than that actually separately but they help make up our DNA and RNA as well.

Well, I never really took a liking into Biology when I was studying Science at school. I found it confusing, the teachers weren't very nice and I found the subject pretty dull.I knew that there were things called Amino acids, although I have to admit, my knowledge isn't very good on the subject and I know no more than what they're called.Thanks to this topic though, I now know a little more about Amino acids etc. I just wished I had studied Biology for longer than I did, now I'm older I can see how useful Biology can be in later life and how interesting Biology actually is.