xisto Community
husker

Pick Your Own Channels

Heck, all I really care about is the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, maybe National Geographic, a news channel, and maybe G4.

Heh, I though it was just me, but yeah, that's my most watched channels of all time. Most everything else is commercial-filled crap.

hey nice, post , o i use the sky network ,, and really dont watch half of the channels . i requested those guys to come up with some good packages, out here in india , but they jus reduce some channals and about a Dollar , and offer various packages, its quite not fair ,. i live in the worlds most democratic country , and i m not able to choose my own channels ,, this is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakd!!! :D:P

i already have this with foxtel au. i just rang up and said i'd like this channel, this channel, this channel and this channel and they charge me and extra $1 per month. pretty sweet ay

Its about worthless tv stationsPick Your Own Channels

I was just thinking about how nice it would be to be able to pick your own channels and found this site.  So here goes.  I am pretty accustomed to what channels I watch all the time and thats about 50 channels out of 200 I get.  It boils down to the worthless channels that nobody watches would not be on the air if it wasnt made mandatory by being included into the package.  Every time I turn around a channel I may have watched has been removed and replaced with a worthless channel that I would rather turn off the TV than watch.  Now I understand that maybe my taste in TV may be different than somebody elses but why should I pay for channels that I never watch.  I would just about guarantee half the channels in your package wouldn't be there much longer if people could choose. For example, I have Dish Network, which in order for them to give you a selection they could make custom Dish Cards for each individual. If DISH for instance would do something to this effect their customer satisfaction and the actual number of people signing up would increase. Like another guy posted above make the public announcement channels mandatory but far as the leisure channels go that should be your choice.  Americans love choice.  Now WHY have the Providers not figured this out.  HMMM...Makes you wonder.

-reply by Clint

I think it would be cool if you could pick your own channels. For example, your television provider says that you can choose 50 of your own channels, any channels you want. You would have to have one main channel so if there was a weather alert, you could see it. I think it would be nice though because maybe I don't want Animal Planet but instead I choose National Geographic. I think this would be a pretty cool idea and would be very sucessful

Hey there!

My name is Alicia and I am with DISH Network. That sounds like a great idea! I would be happy to pass that over to our programming department. We love getting feedback from our customers that will allow us to better assist them and provide better customer assistance. If you have any other feedback, suggestions, concerns please feel free to email me directly. Alicia.Brink@Dishnetwork.com

I have always wished they would do something like that! I hate the way the packages are set up. The way it is set up now, we have to pay a lot more than we should because of one lousy station. I love the Sci Fi channel, and it comes with the cheapest package, but Hubby loves Fox News, and it's on the next more expensive program up. I really hate that. When times get lean, I really wish we had it down to $30 a month, cause one of these days, we will probably have to have it shut off. We actually watch very few channels. Neither of us give a hoot about sports. Shopping? You gotta be kidding! Since they don't sell dog food, who cares about shopping networks. It would be great if they would just let you pick your own package content, say they took the most popular channels and said you can pick so many from this group, and then so many from this group of the less popular ones, and we will give you all of these free (they are about going to have to give away those shopping programs or nobody would buy them and then they would loose advertising money) Every family is different and it would be a lot easier to budget for entertainment and keep everybody happy if you just had more choise of your channels.

I have always wished they would do something like that! I hate the way the packages are set up. The way it is set up now, we have to pay a lot more than we should because of one lousy station. I love the Sci Fi channel, and it comes with the cheapest package, but Hubby loves Fox News, and it's on the next more expensive program up. I really hate that. When times get lean, I really wish we had it down to $30 a month, cause one of these days, we will probably have to have it shut off.
We actually watch very few channels. Neither of us give a hoot about sports. Shopping? You gotta be kidding! Since they don't sell dog food, who cares about shopping networks. It would be great if they would just let you pick your own package content, say they took the most popular channels and said you can pick so many from this group, and then so many from this group of the less popular ones, and we will give you all of these free (they are about going to have to give away those shopping programs or nobody would buy them and then they would loose advertising money) Every family is different and it would be a lot easier to budget for entertainment and keep everybody happy if you just had more choise of your channels.

Sheepdog,

It sounds like a great idea for many reasons. Keep in mind however that channels such as shopping are included in the package at no additional cost, in fact most the time paid programming and infomercials keep programming cost lower. If a package was created for individual channels the network providers would have sufficiently lower subscribers resulting in them require an increase in cost per subscriber. It is still however a great idea and I am happy to pass it forward. Keep all your great ideas coming!

Well, that makes perfect sense, but there isn't any reason why you couldn't have say, a "base" with all the free stuff, and then let people choose the additional channels they want to go with it. Say for example break up the most popular channels into 4-5 different groups. Then say, for $25 per month you can pick 3 channels from group one, 5 channels from group 2 and 20 channels from group 3, and so on, and then go up in incriments, for $35 let them pick 5 channels from group one and 10 from group 2 and 25 from group 3, and so on. You could still have all your paid for special event and new movies that people can buy like they do now. You would want to have the groups put together with some serious thought, not only in popularity, but so people could get the ones they really wanted for not so much money. Like you would want to let them pick a fair size number of channels from the group that you put all the cartoon channels in, for familys with lots of kids and not much money. Keep the educational channels like History and Discover, and Nova in an affordable grouping too. Actually, you'd just make my day if you would put fox news and the Sci Fi Channel all in the lowest price package. :D