xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jdizzleonline

Internet At Home Wireless or Network Cable?

Hi again! I need everyone's help (again)!!I have broadband, but only for one computer. I have recently bought a HP Desktop PC, and I would like it also to go online. Should I use wireless or should I have a network cable installed.Any thoughts would be greatly apprieciated! :)

This depends how far away the two are and whether you intend to move them about. It also depends on what sort of modem you have. For example, if you have a USB broadband modem then you can connect the two PCs directly without the need for a router. If you have an ethernet modem or a router anyway then I'd advise conecting each computer via a wire to a router. Wired networking is much faster, much more secure and more reliable. Wireless is OK for a laptop or if it would be difficult to wire the other PC in, but I'd avoid it if possible, especially if you live in a built up area.

Yep, if your new PC is not too far from your other PC, it would be way better using the wired network. It has more advantages than wireless, you will avoid disconections, speed slowdown and Packetloss (yeah those are really annoying XD )Also if you use wireless, you gotta configure it correctly so other people dont get into your network, otherwise, any person with a laptop and an inalambric netcard would get access to your router and steal your internet speed.

Hi again! I need everyone's help (again)!!
I have broadband, but only for one computer. I have recently bought a HP Desktop PC, and I would like it also to go online. Should I use wireless or should I have a network cable installed.

Any thoughts would be greatly apprieciated! :)

all you need is pc cards and network cables!(if computers are in close distance)
:):P:D:D:D

My advice would be to go for the wired connection between PC's... As people said, much faster, much more secure, since anyone with a laptop can tap into your home network, and do 100 of things, either delete your files, steal them, or just use your internet connection for malicious operations... With cable, it's much more comlicated :)I have at home the following layout... One, old PC, Pentium II, is being used as a server, with Linux installed on it... ADSL modem is connected to this computer... Server has 2 LAN cards, one is used to connect PC with ADSL modem, and the second connects the PC with the rest of the network... I have a 4-channel switch, that connects to a server, and remaining 3 computers are connected with wires, to that switch, and in turn, all having internet access via server... Not complicated at all... And if you do the wioring nicely, you can coneal it, so no one knows the cables are there :)

I beg to differ from the posts saying that wired is better. Though they may be right on certain aspects of wired internet such as the security and such and also the reliability of the connection whilst using it. I am using wireless internet because I have 2 desktop and 2 notebooks seperated into 3 rooms. Wireless is working very well for me, and it definitely looks neater in my room. The only wires I need is to connect my desktop to the router and vice versa. And the rest of the computers which needs internet access, they just need a network adapter, but all laptops nowadays are equipped with that, so it should not be a problem at all. In regards to security, you can always take up 1 of the encryption schemes (WPA or WEP) and on top of that, you can allow how many you want to access your connection in your router settings. But then again, it is all up to your needs. If there are more than 2 users, like the rest of your family, then wireless is the way to go. If not, wired could be your best choice

westell modem and Belkin routerInternet At HomeI have dsl modem, westell e90 dsl2+router which connects my computer to the modem with a USB cabel and not a ethernet cable. I purchased a laptop and wireless belkin router. I connect the router and have a wireless signal with internet access on the laptop but NOT my desktop. If I unhook router and reboot computer, I have internet access on the desktop but NOT the laptop. I've tried everything and the setup disk that came with router will not work since its not seeing my modem even though I am getting wireless connection on the laptop. CRAZY HUH?