xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

The "recovery" After The Storm After the Typhoon Milenyos destructive visit to Manila...

Okay... as you may or may not know, Manila and some other parts of the Philippines had a storm (called "Milenyo" here) visit it. It caused most of Manila (the capital city of the Philippines) to lose electricity, so the city was plunged into darkness... The winds were very strong that it knocked down or ripped some billboards to shreds and quite a number of trees either got uprooted or neared collapse. Some telephone or electricity posts also collapsed. It was quite a sight... The storm left as quickly as it came. The very next day, it was a beautiful sunny day that one wouldn't think there was a storm the day before. The storm left a rather groutesque scene... Billboards, signs, trees, posts and various other things were destroyed. There was a street I remember passing by that had all trees in the area lying on their sides. There were also trees "co-existing" XD amongst the cables... They actually let those trees grow where electric cables are! It made my dad and I rant a bit... but that's not the point.It has already been a week or so since the incident and yet I still see trees scattered all over the place. When do they plan on removing them from the road? Some of those trees already have their leaves withered for Pete's sake! I still see telephone posts leaning like the Tower of Pisa by the roadside. That's really a hazard and they don't seem to be taking action. Why do they have to wait for the government employees to do it? Why don't the local residents do something about it? The telephone post I saw had a really shaky foundation and it looked like it could fall down anytime... Do they even care for the safety of the people?Anyway, I know there are some guys here who live in the Philippines too... I wonder if the situation is the same where you live. I live in Malate near Taft (A landmark would be DLSU) and it was hit pretty hard... We had a nearby tree collapse here and a tree leaning on the electric cables O_o. How'd you guys fare and do you also have something to add/rant/comment about?

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Icemarle,Glad you are okay. Bless the stars that we would lose our favourite sig-maker.Natural disasters strike everywhere. When they are near, protect yourself and others. Assist them as they require because it creates some good karma for you.I hope no other storms come to visit around you. Let us know if any other Trap members are in the same predicament.

Glad you're not hurt as well. I don't know too much about the country itself, so who actually is in charge of that kind of stuf? Is it a private company or a public one? The government or just regular citizens? That would be who you'd need to contact. Maybe you could write a letter or something about it? Sorry, I'm not too good with that kind of stuff.

Edited by Sinari (see edit history)

The local government (the city government) is supposed to take care of the clean-up operation for the trees. The companies that own the posts are supposed to take care of their posts. I know that they can't monitor every post in Metro, Manila, but I'm also wondering when the local citizens in that area will do something about it. I was expecting to see something like a barrier to prevent people from crossing the street where the "Tower of Pisa" post is or something. They just leave it like that... They didn't to anything to make it lean less either. :/ Those are the things they can do while waiting for it to be repaired I guess... Instead of having them loom ominously there and letting people pass by as if there's no problem.

Waaaa. Too many barangays are battered here in the Southern Part of Luzon. Hopefully, some of them managed to have their Electricity back on line. But, MERALCO, the Philippines' energy provider had a policy of not reconnecting some power lines if the components of the said power lines are looted by civilians. Sadly, many barangays had their power lines severely battered and looted. "Milenyo is sure to a hell of storm like Katrina. God Save Philippines from Polticians and National Disaster."

yes you are. my GF lives in Ormac, and seems as every day they have a typhoon. "hurricane in the western pac" Myself as a weather buff. I just wish we here in the states could get more news and info from there when there is a storm.I have spent hours here on the net looking, and always find very little about any storm over in the phils unless it is a major storm.