xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Webber

Teach Yourself Martial Arts? Is It Really Possible?

I would have to say that even though it was created by someone or even a group of ppl, the art was not invented by chance, it happened due to the fact that people needed self defense and/or a way to correctly defeat an opponent. I do know that everyone has the natural ability to learn how to fight, and the original martial arts didn't care about the point system, or even if they could get that leg up to the right angle. It all was dependent on the ability to win the battle, and most of the time the moves that worked where thought about and named so they wouldn't be forgotten.Just so you don't think I'm full of ****, I have learned a little combat art form used to disable your opponent. Besides being in the military and trying to improve on my core abilities witch instinctively improve my fighting talents. I have to portray the fact that martial arts can be learned by anyone, even the most humble cheapest hermet could actually learn it, and if used, get quite good at it by the time he dies.-GronkJuice

Well, Yes I beleive it is possible, but Learning it from a Teacher Ect, is MUCH MUCH MUCH better, I taught myself Ninjistu (6 years ago) and ive been practicing for 6 years! But to learn it by yourself you must be very Determined and willing to put ALOT OF YOUR TIME IN!~~~~Tweek~~~~

I guess it is not feasible to learn from books or self taught however what we can do is the conditioning part. We can better concentrate on the strength flexibility aspect and know what you will be picking up martial easiler if you have the foundation rights. Books and video are merely for revision and tell you what is in detail and become a good tool only when after learning from master. That what I think

I agree with you, it is not possible. With the help of another person it would still be hard.If someone is serious about learning to do martial arts, or anything, then they should seek professional help.

I want to a good martial artist...

Teach Yourself Martial Arts?

Replying to Webber

I just want to asc you that how can I b a good martial artist.What I want from you is just to advise me and send me some important images that can fulfill my desire.I am waiting for your reply.

Thank you Verry Much

Alexander

-question by Alexander Berhane

RE: Is it possible to teach One

Teach Yourself Martial Arts?

The will of a warrior's heart is stronger than the speeding bullet of a gun. If one has the will fight he will fight, if one has the courage to teach himself flawlessly he will learn. Just the same as if one would want to rid themselves of a dirty habit like smoking tobacco, or if one that is extremely ill and is bound to die would want to live, with will, courage, intelligence to know what best for yourself and heart, the ill shall live. One can let destiny decide how their lives shall be lead, or one can write his own destiny.

-reply by M. Scanzano

no i dont think it's impossible, maybe you haven't had the determination to learn by yourself but i'm sure as hell someone out there has done it before. But if you're determined to learn martial arts, you could probably learn the moves yourself and then msater the techniques with a partner or buddy.

I think to lean in a proper way you have to have at least a few months with an instructor. After that you can learn yourself. The first few months are important because they teach you stuff like breathing, your stances, the way you make your fist. The way your leg should bend when you kick. These basics cannot be learnt without an instructor as you don't know your mistakes. Someone has to overlook you.

The best way is to learn with a teacher, and a class. Then you get the feel of ambition and conquest. That feel helps you try to get better, by competing with your fellow learners. Its rather hard to learn on your own, but its possible to practice on your own. Its simple to think that its easy to learn on your own, because its there is a couple of kicks and punches, but the combination can never truly be reproduced from a book. If you really are determined to learn on your own, start by learning a couple of kicks and punches from a friend and then do them over, and think about the flow. If the flow really does go in a certain direction play on your strengths and go in the same direction. The snap in any kick is important, and that goes for all strokes. The snap determines the force and length. You really need to know one thing that you can't learn from a book is to limit the length appearance. Any attack is less than a second long, and you should pull back to defense right away, or risk being attacked or counterattacked.

Interesting question but here's something to think about, how did the original Shaolin monks learn martial arts before there were any teachers? They would have had to teach themselves. I know it seems contradictory to say you can teach yourself to do something when you don't know how to it, but the first generation of kung fu practicing monks did precisely that. It's like if you dropped someone with no survival skills in the wilderness. They'd struggle at first, but eventually they'd learn even though they didn't have a clue how to survive in the wild before they were dropped there. Knowledge does not necessarily have to come from another person. You can learn a lot from within your own mind if you put it to work. 

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, Mike

I agree. If you understand the underlying principles and apply them and do your best, you can go far. I didn't understand what people meant by "rotating the hips" when doing the muay thai roundhouse, but I stumbled upon it and noticed an immediate change in the way my shin made contact with the heavy bag.I've practiced it over and over again and made sure that the underlying principles of proper footwork, timing, and made sure my overall form did not suffer. Now I can kick hard. Of course, it took a lot of practice and I've watched so many fighters over the years that I can name most of the famous ones by now... so it takes a lot of practice. You do learn bad habits, true.also, you don't need to master a martial art. You just need to be able to apply the very basics well. I don't need to know the ins and outs of all the major guards in bjj, but being able to apply the closed guard and butterfly guard quickly in a fight is what counts.

my replyTeach Yourself Martial Arts?

to a certan degree yes. I did karate and kickboxing for about a year and have made up moves using the little knowledge I know to K.O thugs walking around my Sh**hole of a town.If you purchase a dvd or get yourself a boxing bag u can teach yourself a certain amount which will stand up in a street fight but u wouldn't compare to someone who was being taught professionally.

-reply by alfie