xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
da96

Bionic Man May Soon Be A Reality

The London Guardian is reporting on the creation of replacement eyes and working hands in the race to build a $6bn human. Currently being worked on is everything from bionic eyes to an entire exoskeleton enabling the wearer to carry 200lbs. From the article: ‘The 1970s gave us the six-million-dollar man. Thirty years and quite a bit of inflation later we have the six-billion-dollar human: not a physical cyborg as such, instead an umbrella term for the latest developments in the growing field of technology for human enhancement.

For the full article, visit this https://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/apr/15/internationalnews.

Yes, this is not that interesting as we already have many smaller versions of things. The eyes would work like security cameras and all be connected to an artificial intelligence system. It would also need a boot-in mode where a person can control it.

To what ends is a man still a man? It can be seen that this person who undergoes surgery is no longer a man, but rather a machine with human parts. Then rises the question of ethics. Is it ethical to combine machine and man to this degree? Finally of course, the religious standpoint. Who are we to tinker with God's creations? Frankly, I'm opposed to altering the human body simply for enhancement. If you need a leg cause you lost it in the war? Sure, give the man a leg. But someone wants a mechanical leg so that he can outshine everyone else on the track field? Sounds like someone needs to introspect and see if they are looking at life through tthe right lenses.

If God cared whether or not we enhance and change our bodies he wouldn't have given us the ability to enhance and change our bodies.I believe that as long as a human remains with a human brain he will never become a machine. The mind makes the person.And lastly I definately think it is wrong for people to get these enhancements who do not need them. Blind people, deaf people, mute people, permanantely cripple people, paralyzed people, etc. They deserve replacement body parts.

wow that just sounds amazing, now the main problem before continue would be having a machine thinking their own things and think like a really automate device not only to create muscle wire and crazy things to build the human cyborg but first the main task, make think a bunch of wires and metal.... have you seen the Qrio robot from Sony? it is a little robot with a tons of good cappabilities and habilities that should be admired as a technology device and avoer all as a good example of human engineer....somehting robots are uncapable of doing

Robots developing minds of their own are an impossibility.Not even computers today can even compare to the brainpower of a human being. A smart person would never make a robot with the possibility of a conscience.

Robots can operate like humans, learning and developing, even respawning, by using their knowlege to find more parts to build children... therefore setting up communities.An artificial intelligence system to do just those things and nothing more would take years to make and around about 406,000 billion lines of code. It would not be the easy code like php, it would be Arti2 code... almost never used as there are other ways to make simpler artificial intelligence systems.A playstation 3 is 1% as strong as the human brain, so if we got 100 of those (expensive) and combined them together the circuits would blow! There would be so much energy and heat that they would need to be re-built with different materials. Now... thats just the brain power... a bit like RAM on a computer, next it needs a artificial intelligence system, then it needs to have all the joints in the body 360 degrees turns otherwise its impossible for no malfunction if the robot is going to learn different things, as it will be pre-programmed with the joints system, but if it see's someone or something doing something with their legs or arms it will kick in and try to learn it.It would also need to make use of the very expensive wireless power transportation system developped in 2002 in Canada, to be able to function properly.It would also need a tutor to show it how to do everything in lifeSpeaking of learning, the kids would need to either be able to learn off the parents or have data transfered to them when created.THEN LEARNING>>>> ANOTHER POINT it would need big supercomputers capable of holding millions of gigs of memory, with this the computer would be in a different place to the robot so it would need super fast Wi-Fi, nothing like what we have today.Just a few points... my fingers are sore now so buey

A few weeks ago i was at the local supermarket, and I was looking through the magazines when i saw the cover of Popular Science. On this cover was a hunam like robot. I thought it was something form the movie I Robot, but it wasn't. It said on the cover "the future of robots." I went to the magazines website and saw pictures of what you all are talking about. I give it about 15 years and they'll actually have humanliek robots walking about normally. Something like the characters from "Ghost in the Shell."

Making a robot look and move human-like isn't the difficulty - making it think and act human-like is. The way to create a human-like robot is to create a program that compiles senses into a learning matrix that is able to dispose of useless information and store/compile useful information, like a baby's brain does. Of course, then you'd end up with an artificial human - it would think like it was taught, just like any person would. A pointless endeavor, except it would have a longer lifespan than a human would, thus making it a monument of sorts. That way, we can carry on our disgusting culture and freakish habits to another generation of evolution.

Even if a robot COULD think and act like a human, would it BE a human or just a humoid computer? Scientifically, once we understand the human brain to a greater degree, we may be able to replicate it, but is what makes us human our BRAINS or our MINDS? And if, as we know, the root of our ability to have 'minds' and thus personality is in our brains, then if we were ever able to duplicate brains, wouldn't minds be a logical corrolary? I don't know the answers, but neither does anyone else. The forseeable consequences for humanity are bleak, however:-Each individual part will have an audience, serving as replacement pieces for humans and creating a class of 'cyborgs'. This will be good.-Religion as we know it will either have to accept robots into their faiths as part of 'God's family' in order to appear tolerant and not indulge in hypocritically condescending behavior, or will have to condemn them as a blasphemy to God, the Creator. If religion condemns robots, instead of welcoming them, clinging to the philosophy that life is only ever possible from a divine being, then a) humanity may become conceited and robots made slaves (I, Robot-ish) or :) religion will fall from the apparent contradiction between its teaching and the reality of the world.-Humans will have to learn to live with another sentient species. This would not be bad, except that individual races cannot avoid massacring each other, so it seems unlikely peace would be sustainable between selfish and ignorant humans and their (initially) helpless adversaries.-Espianage will become much more sleek, but also much more dangerous. -The potential for disguised robot martyrs and kamakazi pilots misled or misprogrammed by their radical jihad or otherwise hate-filled masters increases significantlyRobots, like clones, could be bad news, but as a sci-fi lover I eagerly await their coming.

Oh, this sounds really sci-fi. I would like to see it, but I suppose there will be a though struggle between scientists and other experts. I mean, this is similar to genetic engineering and involves a lot of ethical questions not easy to solve. I hope this won?t lead us to a catastrophic future like in most science fiction movies.

There is something wrong with the link. It took me to the W3C http protocol instead. Oh well, just copied and pasted it into the url bar and got it right. I think all of this is going to be great. Its going to be amazing how they are going the combine the organic with the inorganic. I have always used glasses and contact lenses, and I have always thought of how bad it must be to live blind. Now they are going to be able to put a chip in you that will enable you to see. This sounds way better than messing with cloning, and stem cells. Though I am not against it anyways. That will also create the need for less and more specialized military.