xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brainless

Religions And Atheism ...atheism _is_ a religion

During the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that there are some people in this community who reply to posts dealing with religions that they are "not religious because they are atheists and don't believe in God".In my opinion, this argument is inconsistent in two points:1) By using the term "God", these people miss the point that there are not only monotheistic religions [Jews/Christians/Muslims - based on one and the same God. Read their holy scriptures before denying this and open a new thread if you want to discuss this...] but also polytheistic religions like most nature-bound religions [there are countless of them all over the world, the most well-known are the ancient greek and roman religions and Hinduism. I'm not sure about the existence of actual "Gods" in Buddhism right now].2) Atheists, though not as well-organized as most religious people, do the same as religious people do - claim to have evidence about one or more god's existence (which is supposed to proof the non-existence of any gods). Due to this behavior very similar to that of religious people, I suggest atheism should be considered 'some form' [sorry, I haven't thought this through yet either] of religion.well, what shall we do with those who want to keep on claiming to be not religious?There's still a way left to be able to express an opinion on religious matters which does not make it necessary to take a clear position on the existence of god(s):"I am not able to prove God(s)'s existence but I am also unable to prove its non-existence [, but I have an opinion to the matter being discussed, regardless of god's influence or non-influence on this...]"

Well, I do disagree that Atheism can be considered as a religion, being an athiest myself I have noticed that even though the person seated besides me is an athiest, he is probably having some different ideas and philosophies and there is just this one thing common that both of us don't believe in god.Well, yeah I cannot prove god is not there but don't I have the right to believe in what I want to?

you've got just as much of a right to believe in the non-existence of any gods as anyone has the right ton believe in its/their existence......and there's just about as much in common between a jew and a muslim as there is between to atheists - two of these four people believe in the same god, two of them deny its existence. All four of them believe in some obscure theories on e.g. how this world has been created (when there are way more important questions to answer...)

No matter if Atheism is concidered a religion or not it is still the belief that god does not exist and he has no power over the world as people claim he does

Oxford dictionary definition (theistic): "1 the belief in a superhuman controlling power, esp. in a personal God or gods entitled to obedience and worship. 2 the expression of this in worship. 3 a particular system of faith and worship.

judging by 1. it cannot be connot be concidered a religion because they do not believe that a superhuman controlls them or nayone else. and they dont believe that anyone who thinks that someone or somthing are entitled to worship, so that leaves that one out.

judgint by 2. hmm hard to tell with that small definition, but i dont think that athiests worship anyone?

judging by 3. hmm, i dont think they have faith in anyone but themselves? and they dont worship anyone, so

i dont think that being an athiest should/could be descirbed as a religion, more as a way to think....

I will try to explain why I, myself, think Christianity is actually the true religion and how it is true. This is not another "you've got to believe this because you have to have faith". These are actual reasons why God AND Jesus is real.First of all, how did we find out about history. In example, Roman history was mostly discovered because of old documents and architecture that has preserved itself throughout the 2,000 or more years. The documents were written during the time that something has really happened; so that is proof that Roman history is true.If this is how we base our history, why won't the Bible be true? It was written during old times which has been confirmed. It was actually written by many people -- not just one person; I don't think so many people would actually make this up. There were even eyewitnesses which was written within living memory of the historical document. You might now think to yourself, well, maybe these were a group of people that wanted to cause chaos and just randomly make up some information about God. Well, this is not true. There were actually outside sources, too. Josephus wrote an article about Jesus during Jesus' time. He, while writing, actually doubted that Jesus was really the "Son of God". This, itself, proves that the Bible's facts are real and authentic -- none of it were lies. Also, there were ancient architecture of history that is still preserved during Jesus' and God's time. Broken fragments of objects that have proved that the Bible is real. Why do you people still question the existance of God? If you are questioning the existance of God, you should be asking yourself, if you think Roman history is real, then the Bible is real due to the reasons I have listed above. Going back to Atheists. These are people who can not accept the fact that they are truely "reigned" over by a superior power (God). They will think that none of this is true and that all of it is rubbish. They believe Roman history, why not the Bible? It's the same thing except it teaches you to do good. It's even better than Roman history, it's even teaching you. I would love to see opinions on this -- and what are the evidence that God is not real? I really want to see that upclose because I have never heard absolutely any evidence that God is not real and would love to inspect this matter.

From Answers.com:

reˇliˇgion (rĭ-lĭj'ən) n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

I think #4 defines many people no matter what it is they are obsessed with, whether they be Atheists, Liberials, Conservatives, lovers, criminals....you get the idea...

i have to disagree with that. Atheism isn't a religon. An atheist is one that does that believe in existance of any supernatural being(s). Atheism isn't a cult, therefore it does not have to be organized like reglions. Also, i would like to point that that buddism isn't a reglion about supernatural beings that helped human through hard time, but instead, "buddha(s)" are teachers that teach moral to people. Through their good deeds, people decided to worship them as gods. And about you not being able to prove non-existacnce of god, maybe that is because god does not exist. I recently went to a Islam church for a field trip at my school (learning about civil liberties during wartime and stuff), there was a point that they pointed out that is very interesting. In christanity, they claim that Jesus is son of god. Jesus, however, claimed himself as god also. But as we know, God is not materialize, meaning he/she (or whatever) cannot be touch, feel, or seen. I'm not exactly sure that my information are correct, but if it is, then wouldn't there be a false in christanity?I'm not trying to make any reglion looks bad or prove it to be a fraud, but i'm just tired of people telling me that god exist and that i'm going to HELL if i don't believe in God. If god were that mericful, no matter if a person beleive in him/her(whatever) or not shouldn't be put to hell.

Atheism is a religion, no matter how one looks at it, since it falls under definition #6 for the word "religion" (straight from dictionary.com):

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

[hr=noshade]

Jesus, however, claimed himself as god

Jesus didn't claim to be God--maybe a god, or being one with God, but not God.

...and that i'm going to HELL if i don't believe in God.

Here's the main reason why they say that, one word: repentance. It is clearly stated throughout all Abrahamic religions that one must repent to God. Those who don't repent are destined to hell because they are not free of sin, and sin is the requirement to be sent to hell. Since one does not believe in God, they won't repent to Him. Repentance is just one requirement to enter Heaven. Another requirement that must be met is good deeds, in order to enter Heaven.

[/hr]

off topic.i was up in washington, and on a church's sign it said being a good person wont get you into heaven... that was the laughing joke on the way home :)

First of all, how did we find out about history. In example, Roman history was mostly discovered because of old documents and architecture that has preserved itself throughout the 2,000 or more years. The documents were written during the time that something has really happened; so that is proof that Roman history is true.

Well then, each and every religion is true and not only Christianity but even that self-floating bridge built by Rama and also all other religions are true.

Well, I am not saying that you tired to prove that Christianity is the only true religion its just that you said "Christianity is 'THE' only true religion" even if you would have said that "Christianity is 'A' true religion", I wouldn't have minded that.

And yeah so now why don't I believe in god, well, there maybe a god and as I said, I have the right to choose what I want to believe, well you call yourself a Muslim, Catholic or a Hindu as you have many things in common and its just not that you only believe in one god and thats the reason you all fall together. As for atheism we only have one belief in common.

And for examples, there are more than 24000+ gods in the religion I was born with "Hinduism" itself and people call themselves belonging to a single religion even though they have their own values and gods.
I am not saying that Hinduism is great but if I am forced to have a religion and I can't live without one, I would chose it as it allows you to modify some values and add your own, it accepts your denial to believe in god and still allows you to follow the Hindu literature, which I find quite boring by the way. :)

And I agree on what Chris has to say about atheism being considered as a religion.

I think that atheists people don't beleive in God because they are too lazy to search for real evidence prooving that God exists. From a couple of days I was writing a topic about all REAL physical evidences prooving the existence of God, and I wrote about a page then suddenely the power went down, because of difficult situations in my country so the whole thing just disappeared. I think I can proove to many people that God exists and they will be surprised with what God gave us [rooving that he exists. Maybe I should rewrite the whole thing but why to bother myself since some people won't be ever jgoing to heavan and they will stay in hell. No one think that terrorists, killers, stealers and all the injustice in this world will go unpunished, but in fact someone is there recording everything and one day every human being will punished for doing pain to others!!!You have been warned!! But evantually everyone is free, he or she can do whatever they want!

hadi: I'm sorry to hear that you lost that thing, I would have liked to have read what someone believing in the existence of a god wrote to prove its existence :/

DogEater008 wrote:

[...] Atheism isn't a religon. An atheist is one that does that believe in existance of any supernatural being(s). [...]

I assume you meant to write a "not" in the place of the second "that"?

...so 'they' believe in something - in exactly the opposite of theists believe: The not-existence of supernatural being(s)?

Believing in something is a main point of religions, as dictionary entries quoted by some people here point out...

[...] In Christanity, they claim that Jesus is son of god. Jesus, however, claimed himself as god also. But as we know, God is not materialize, meaning he/she (or whatever) cannot be touch, feel, or seen. [...]

well, on the first glance, this looks like a flaw in Christianity. They worship Jesus as "one with God" (_and_ as the son of God), they worship the Holy Spirit (as the thing which equals the biological father of Jesus; AFAIK Mary received her first son from the Holy Spirit) and they worship one single God. If my math is right, this sums up to three godlike entities, making Christianity not a monotheistic but a tritheistic religion.

But: This flaw has been solved by assuming that a) God equals the Holy Spirit and :) Jesus as the Holy Spirit's (= God's) son is at least half made of the Holy Spirit (= God), therefore is the Holy Spirit (= God) (and: Jesus is "one with God") - the Christian God therefore has appeared in at least three forms: "God", the "Holy Spirit" and "Jesus".

--note for further thinking--

Didn't I hear from someone telling me about the christian idea of "God" that there is no physical manifestation of "God"? This doesn't fit in with Jesus equalling God since Jesus is ...well... a physical manifestation. People were able to nail him to the cross, weren't they?

--/note for further thinking--

...[1]AFAIK Mary received her first son from the Holy Spirit)...
--note for further thinking--
[2]Didn't I hear from someone telling me about the christian idea of "God" that there is no physical manifestation of "God"? This doesn't fit in with Jesus equalling God since Jesus is ...well... a physical manifestation. [3]People were able to nail him to the cross, weren't they?
--/note for further thinking--

[1]This is debatable. Some believe that the Holy Spirit did not "defile" Mary, but rather God said "be", and Mary became pregnant (as it is stated in the Qur'an, and certain Apocrypha).

[2]Not every denomination thinks alike/believes the exact same things. There are two subcategories that fall under the category "Christianity". These two subcategories are: "Trinitarianism" and "Non-Trinitarianism". Trinitarianism states: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; however, they do not equal each other; example: the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father.

Some denominations state that Jesus is the reincarnation/manifestation of God.

Non-Trinitarians don't believe that the Three are co-equal. They believe God is above all, and the others (The Holy Spirit and Jesus) are two different, seperate beings.

[3]Such is also debatable. Some believe Christ was taken up beforehand (as it is stated in the Qur'an, and certain Apocrypha), but his body was the one that got crucified.

Atheism is probably becoming a religion in itself!

'Religion' is described as "A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny". It is this belief that makes many people going in this world. People started believing in different religions due to their faith in different forms of supernatural power. But still the definition of the religion remains the same even if the form of religion changes. Now once there are lot of religions people are confused on which religion to choose especially in this world where Science does not have any space for God and it can't prove any supernatural powers.

Religion itself gives courage and strength to oneself to be true to themselves and to their respective Gods. This is the right way of practising ones religion. But it so happens sadly that people start to compare their religion with other religions and try to prove that their religion is the best of all. This is where the war starts. This is when religions are labelled. This is the point where we destroy Humanity and Earth on the name of religion. If this is to follow and take roots then I would rather prefer to be an Atheist.

I believe that in today's Scientific world where people are more aware of things and realities and everyone seeks evidence of everything Religion and belief in God is fading out. More and more people are becoming atheists. It is sad in one way as people are probably losing on their resources of strength as I mentioned in the above paragraph. But I think people now-a-days are thinking in the direction of making a common religion where there is no idol to wordhip, no messenger, no formalities, no rituals and no God. This is the religion of the Atheists where people should believe in 'Nature' as the supernatural force. This will probably flourish soon and more and more people wil join this religion soon. I guess if such a concept is initiated then the world would be like heaven where humanity will be the platform.

Hope to see such a religion soon. Feeling great even by thinking such a concept!!

During the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that there are some people in this community who reply to posts dealing with religions that they are "not religious because they are atheists and don't believe in God".

In my opinion, this argument is inconsistent in two points:

1) By using the term "God", these people miss the point that there are not only monotheistic religions [Jews/Christians/Muslims - based on one and the same God. Read their holy scriptures before denying this and open a new thread if you want to discuss this...] but also polytheistic religions like most nature-bound religions [there are countless of them all over the world, the most well-known are the ancient greek and roman religions and Hinduism. I'm not sure about the existence of actual "Gods" in Buddhism right now].

2) Atheists, though not as well-organized as most religious people, do the same as religious people do - claim to have evidence about one or more god's existence (which is supposed to proof the non-existence of any gods).

Due to this behavior very similar to that of religious people, I suggest atheism should be considered 'some form' [sorry, I haven't thought this through yet either] of religion.

well, what shall we do with those who want to keep on claiming to be not religious?

There's still a way left to be able to express an opinion on religious matters which does not make it necessary to take a clear position on the existence of god(s):

"I am not able to prove God(s)'s existence but I am also unable to prove its non-existence [, but I have an opinion to the matter being discussed, regardless of god's influence or non-influence on this...]"

Models that view religion as a social construction include the "Dogma Selection Model," which holds that religions, although untrue in themselves, encode instructions or habits useful for survival, and that these ideas "mutate" periodically as they are passed on, and spread or die out in accord with their effectiveness at improving chances for survival. Karl Marx stated that "Religion is the opiate of the masses." This comment spawned a new model, in which, summarizes Bertrand Russel, "[r]eligion in any shape or form is regarded as a pernicious and deliberate falsehood, spread and encouraged by rulers and clerics in their own interests, since it is easier to exercise control over the ignorant"