xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Webber

Meditation - How Does It Work? Key to Meditation and Spirituality

I first learned to meditate using a book on tape. At the time, I also was training to run a marathon. Later I joined a group of zen buddhists who were more impressed with my marathon training than with my self taught meditation.They were impressed with the discipline.This is the thread I see running through this thread. Everyone finds their own discipline - be it martial arts or regular attendance on a forum.I like to think that particular kinds of meditation are suited for particular kinds of people.In my work as a therapist, I saw people who had been traumatized. They couldn't do relaxation meditation because it brought them back to the point at which they were abused. Instead, I recommended to them focusing meditation, which can be done with eyes open, and which trains the mind to stay in a specific course. It worked for many of the clients to whom I recommended it.I went to a conference and bought a computer run meditation program. It combined biofeedback with meditation. I enjoyed it a great deal, but it was too much technology for me and I couldn't really incorporate it into a regular practice. But it was a lot of fun...My current meditation practice is best described as undisciplined. I have a lot on my plate at the moment. But I hope and expect to redevelop a regular practice.

When I was depressed my therapist suggested it. But it doesn't really work usually because for me I was never thinking about it I was just pretending to while I was thinking about killing someone.I think it is all mental not anything that meditation actually does.

Hey there, well, this is something that is often overlooked as being something that doesn't work. Similiar to the martial arts, unless you've tried it you tend to be sceptical, and you can not describe how it feels unless you have actually taken part in it.

Well, over the past year I have been incredibly stressed ,and the past 7/10 weeks have been the worse. My parents have seperated in a really nasty divorce, my final exam year has just started at school, I have personal relationship issues and desires (I'm 15 by the way),I have a job that is very time consuming and I train in 6 martial arts, so I have had very little time to my self, and over the last couple of weeks it's really overwelmed me. I was getting to the end of my tether.. I was starting to become aggressive and started loosing it over very petty things, so this morning, before school (something I find incredibly dull, physically taiming and frustrating, I don't get on with many of my teachers, It isn't the nicest of schools, the sort of place you have to look after yourself, because the staff will not help out, and I haven't done aswell as I hoped in my previous years exams), so I decided to meditate before school. I used a 20 minute meditation technique I had picked up about a year and a half earlier. I found when I used it orginally it didn't really work, but perhaps I didn't really need it then? All I know is that the process does all the usual steps, the relaxation and the deep sensation, and the healing etc, and I really felt as if I went deeper than ever, and after it had finished, when I opened my eyes, I felt nearly paraylised in the bliss sensation of being totally relaxed, it was so beauitful, and all day I have been so gentle, patient and calm. Nothing has overwelmed me, annoyed me to a great exstent, made me act immature, made me 'fly off the feeling' and so on. In short - it worked perfectly. I can't describe the process of meditation, the perfect relaxtion you feel as you hit your centre.. I can't describe it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what happens, either physically, mentally or spirtually. Has anyone else ever had this sort of experience, or does anybody else meditate regulary?

Thanks, Sean.

Meditation? ok well in my own point of view i would like to know your religeon because it some times matters but to me before one can meditate you must be relaxed and not in a noisy place, here Goes
if you are still attending some classes make sure you will pay urgent attention, allow the lecture to sink in
then when you reach home try to revise what you are being taught then think about it, its implications, importances, how to and other aspect of the related subjects, then finally off you Go! you are meditating, but if that dosen work out then relaxed try
have a shower after all try to ask yourself some reasonable questions think about it. thats meditation for me but if you have another way better for you but for me thats how i meditates
thank you :)

Hey there, well, this is something that is often overlooked as being something that doesn't work. Similiar to the martial arts, unless you've tried it you tend to be sceptical, and you can not describe how it feels unless you have actually taken part in it.

Well, over the past year I have been incredibly stressed ,and the past 7/10 weeks have been the worse. My parents have seperated in a really nasty divorce, my final exam year has just started at school, I have personal relationship issues and desires (I'm 15 by the way),I have a job that is very time consuming and I train in 6 martial arts, so I have had very little time to my self, and over the last couple of weeks it's really overwelmed me. I was getting to the end of my tether.. I was starting to become aggressive and started loosing it over very petty things, so this morning, before school (something I find incredibly dull, physically taiming and frustrating, I don't get on with many of my teachers, It isn't the nicest of schools, the sort of place you have to look after yourself, because the staff will not help out, and I haven't done aswell as I hoped in my previous years exams), so I decided to meditate before school. I used a 20 minute meditation technique I had picked up about a year and a half earlier. I found when I used it orginally it didn't really work, but perhaps I didn't really need it then? All I know is that the process does all the usual steps, the relaxation and the deep sensation, and the healing etc, and I really felt as if I went deeper than ever, and after it had finished, when I opened my eyes, I felt nearly paraylised in the bliss sensation of being totally relaxed, it was so beauitful, and all day I have been so gentle, patient and calm. Nothing has overwelmed me, annoyed me to a great exstent, made me act immature, made me 'fly off the feeling' and so on. In short - it worked perfectly. I can't describe the process of meditation, the perfect relaxtion you feel as you hit your centre.. I can't describe it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what happens, either physically, mentally or spirtually. Has anyone else ever had this sort of experience, or does anybody else meditate regulary?

Thanks, Sean.

Well as you can see when you wish to meditate it depends in the type of religeon you are into. for me i think that meditatetion is based of a very good background. here Goes
when evr you wish to meditae make sure you are in a cool and less noisy are for instance
you cants be dancing or ebven watching movies and you will tell me that you are trying to meditates? yes it wont work instated you will be carried away so agai even if you are with your friends discussiong the meditation can not flwo finally make sure you will ahve a raon to meditae not just staying and latter you would say " i want to maditate" you must have a reason and the reasons depends on your emosions if you are depress you migth maybe not reason f\well but some times your condition can agitate you in to thinking about the past
before i close i would like to point out that meditation is a part of thinhking but not actuall a whole thinking! you can meditate on important things you saw or even bring forward your opinio through m,editation, yes its through meditaion that innovations come in, when you start thinking about importancy of an object and how it can be .....

I've done this in school sometimes, its helps calm me down, here is a brief instruction:1. Close your eyes, imagine yourself in a dark black room with nobody inside2. Just keep repeating a key phrase, and don't think just say.3. Soon it will be 20 minutes and you will be feeling greatThis method works great, It works because it relaxes your mind, clears stress and helps you concentrate. I suggest you try it sometime soon

:rolleyes: Meditation is Good for anyone to perform as a Daily routine in their lives .
I should perform it more in my own Life ,but sometimes get to busy to actually Take the Time which is really excuse I use for forgetting .
Tuning into your Higher Self is Important Part of your Own Life
May be Try This ,fitting it as part of your day to day Life.

Find a comfortable place and position yourself comfortably, either sitting up, or lying down (if you can meditate lying down without falling asleep).Place your thumb and one of your fingers together; this will become your body's "cue" to help you "get into state" in the future.Relax your body and breathe…focus on your breath, feeling your breath entering your body, filling you, and as you release your breath at a natural pace, let any tensions, concerns, worries, slip away…as you relax, feel your tongue lying loose and limp on the floor of your mouth, and you begin to feel a floating sensation in your body.
Breathe this way, and begin counting from 1 to 21…1, 2, 3,4…going deeper, feeling in your mind's eye that you are moving through a tunnel of loving light…5, 6, 7, 8, going deeper still, conscious, calm, aware, fully in control…9, 10, 11, 12…traveling through this tunnel of light, deeper still, aware and in complete control, yet there is nothing in the environment which can distract you…12, 14, 15,16…nearing the perfect state for doing the work you've come to do, you feel clear, aware only in your mind's awareness, your body completely limp…17, 18, 19, 20…and 21.
If you are willing, by the time you've reached 21, you will be deeply relaxed and ready to do the work you've come to do. You will remain in control. Your "inner wisdom" will guide the choices you make while in this state.
Know that while you are in this state you may access, if you wish, whatever information, insight, or assistance for whatever loving purpose you desire from those operating in the highest levels of Light and Love.
Now, say to yourself, "Connecting with my Higher Self".Imagine that appearing in front of you, is your Higher Self. Take a moment to notice what this person looks like. If you see an image of anything which appears to represent an issue you are working on at present, acknowledge that this is where your Higher Self wishes to begin the conversation, and ask to see Him or Her in "true form"…see yourself in full beauty and power. Take in your Higher Self in detail…what are they wearing? What is conveyed about their personality and character in their dress or appearance? Be open to your Higher Self taking any form it might take, and know that you will understand what the message is.

Now, you may ask, if you wish, any question you like. Spend as much time as you wish with your Higher Self, communing, receiving guidance and support.
When you are ready to return, thank your Higher Self and bid them goodbye, knowing that you can return to this place any time you choose, simply by placing your thumb and fingers together and counting…begin counting back now, from 21 to 1 in a slow and gradual manner. 21, 20, 19…departing now…18, 17, 16, 15, moving back through the tunnel now…14,13, 12, 11…feeling your consciousness shifting now, slowly…10, 9, 8…feel the energies in your bodies balancing…7, 6, 5, 4…becoming aware of your surroundings, and feeling completely relaxed and refreshed, as if you have taken a wonderful long nap…3, 2…coming aware, now, gently move your fingers and toes as you reawaken into normal consciousness‘…and open your eyes, feeling revitalized, peaceful, and remembering in detail your conversation with your Higher Self

Should Feel High Energy ,Peace Flow Through out your Body .
Very Relaxing . ;)

Notice from rvalkass:

Another copied post. Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
You're hosted so you should know the rules - anything you copy needs to be in QUOTE tags.

A very good book about meditation is "The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind.", by Alan Wallce. It explains with some depth a milinar technique called Shamatha in sanscrit.Perhaps some of you would like to visit his website. Just google his name an you can't miss it. I believe this is a book that anyone interested in meditation should read, whether beginning or having some years of practice.

When I first tried meditation, I expected the end result to be total relaxation. What happened instead was frustration. I could not "empty my mind!" It seemed the quieter I got, the more things would rush into my head. Every little noise I heard made me a little cranky. I couldn't get comfortable in any of the positions recommended in the book I had purchased to help me learn to meditate. I was really on edge - which was the reason I wanted to try meditation to begin with...Thanks to sheer tenacity, I did not give up, as I truly wanted to experience the benefits of meditation. I talked to a few friends who practiced yoga and regularly meditated, bought a few more books, and dug in. Since I had such an active mind, I couldn't expect to "empty it" right away. I was putting pressure on myself for this to happen and it was only making matters worse. So instead of getting empty, I tried getting full. What I mean is that I used imagery to fill my head with an alternative to everything else that was distracting me. In one book, I found a sort of story... I am sitting in front of a mirror. Behind me in the mirror is a beautiful forest and as I look into the forest, I see myself standing up and walking to the trees, inhaling the lovely scent of nature. At that point, I begin to breath in a very regulated way, inhaling the forest smells and looking up to see sunlight through the trees as I exhale. As I continued to do this, I found myself focused on my breathing, which is something else that is recommended in most books on meditation. Eventually, I got better at getting this focus and after much practice, I can now get into a meditative state with relative ease. The key, like with anything, is to keep practicing.I also used to have a hard time falling asleep. Something I found in one of the meditation books really helped. I would close my eyes and instead of fighting the sounds I heard, I would welcome them into my mind. I'd wait and listen for a car to pass, rather than being distracted by it. The little sounds in the house - the refrigerator, the heater, etc. - I would treat at "background" music. It may sound a little crazy, but it totally worked. This technique, along with slow, steady breathing, still helps to lull me to sleep at night when I have trouble.My only problem with meditation is that I don't make enough time for it in my life. I do try to use some form of it for at least a few minutes a day, which doesn't get you into a deeply relaxed state, but can still help. I recently bought a book called "Five Minute Meditations," which teaches you ways and places that you can meditate during a normal busy day. For example - at the gym while waiting for the next machine or while taking a walk (yes, your eyes are open for that one!). I belong to an amatuer bowling league and before my turns, I close my eyes and just breath for a few minutes. My average has gone up because I'm more relaxed and focused! I need to do a lot more of these things - because the benefits are so worth it.So my advice to anyone that has tried meditation and given up? Try again. And keep trying. Eventually, you'll be rewarded with the ability to stay calm in hectic situations and find peace inside yourself.

Well Sean it's been 3 years since you posted this and I hope all is well with you now. I just joined this forum recently and this post interested me. You see, one of the many important things related to meditation, is the heart. Since you're training in martial arts, you know how to train your body, but you would need to train your mind and heart to understand meditation. What you went through is something that hit hard on your heart and you would've reacted just the way someone your age and in your place would've, so I'd not really worry about being "immature" at 15. However, since your'e 18 now, I hope things have progressed and you've got a good meditation technique to hold on to and are enjoying life. If not, well its never too late to start! Good luck :lol:

Thanks, Sean.

In fact, meditation works fine if you keep thinking, about everything, about the way you live, you act, about the life in general and about lots of things this world shares with us. So have a great time in meditation.