xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kafka11

Senior Citizens Discount why i think they shouldnt get them

I dont think senior citizens should get any discount to anything becus most of the proprty in the usa is owned more by people over 65 and and most of them are rich yet the people how need it 18+ dont get anything i just think the souldnt get the discount and yonger people sould

Maybe when you have worked hard for 45 years to pay for the property you have, you will feel differently. I don't know where you have gathered your information, but I can tell you that MOST of the senior citizens today in the USA are NOT rich. They are barely getting by with their social security income, a tax that was taken out of their earnings to be set aside for them in retirement. These monies have proven to be sorely insufficient to support anybody because of the rate of inflation over the years. Yet if they work to suppliment their social security benefits, not only do they pay income tax and have more social security taxes taken on their earnings, their social security benefits are also taxed. Hmm, taxes on taxes. I thought this was illegal. From my point of view, anybody under 18 has had a free ride on their parents' shirt tails. Those between 18 and 65 must EARN their discounts the same way the retirees have. Work hard and you too will be rewarded in your old age.

I agree that the discount for seniors is a good thing. It is Sociey's way of saying Thank You for getting us to where we are today. And no, I am not eligible for the benefits. Yet.

I dont think senior citizens should get any discount to anything becus most of the proprty in the usa is owned more by people over 65 and and most of them are rich yet the people how need it 18+ dont get anything i just think the souldnt get the discount and yonger people sould

I do doubt it's most of them. Of course there will be a select few who are rather well off, then again, couldn't you say that about young people too? Those who have been spectacuarly successful, early in life, either through innovation or inheritance. I know where there is a pensioner/seniors discount there usually is a Student discount also (though usually the discount is a little less); it's probably sufficient seeing younger people have the capacity to work and support themselves, for some older people working is just not an option no matter how much they want to.

Of course, when you see some senior citizens (female) clad with expensive jewellery come and claim their free coffee/tea at McDonalds ( :D worked there for a spell), you do give them the :D look. I'm not sure exactly how senior discounts are calculated or whatever, perhaps a better thing to do would be to issue discounts to seniors who really need them (i.e. those who fall below a certain bracket in terms of assets would be eligible for a discount card), those rich enough to support themselves just wouldn't get one.

I agree with seniors getting discount on about everything because they can't work anymore to earn their money and most of them get almost nothing from the social security (as my grandparents :D ). But you do get a little pissed off because the rich ones are also getting the same discount the poor ones get... like Cool Freaker said lol :D

Well first off, I think senior citizens do deserve a discount for one reason. Most senior citizens don't work and/or retired and if they do get a steady income still, then it normally isn't that much (unless they didn't retire). So the discount allows them to use there money for other things other then basic needs and be able to enjoy the last few years of there lives. Com'on I woudln't think you would work hard for 65 years of your life and then have to keep working because you can't afford to retire.

I believe that you have to be 65-70 to start getting that kind of stuff. You get the social security half that you've saved and they double it because you're an American citizen. At least, that's what they do in Missouri and Connecticut. Along with that you get the retirement plan and stuff so it may seem like some are richer than others and it could be that they just saved more when they were younger. If you want to complain about it you should head to the bank right after you type it or speak it and put money into your savings account for later. Along with that, these people have worked for many years to improve our lifestyle today, I think that the least we can do for them improving America is giving them a $5 discount at some major restaurants and $2 off a movie ticket.