xisto Community
darran

Desktops Obsolete? Will it happen?

There is no way that a desktop is obsolete. First of all, from a business it perspective, a desktop is the best thing in the world. I know most business men tend to use laptops but for anyone who has no reason for one, a desktop is much easier to secure and such because you dont have to worry about it being stolen or even it being lost and not having to worry about having to create a vpn. Desktops also are cheaper and much more powerful than a laptop of equal value. As for the home user, it depends what you use it for. If you just go online in your spare time and dont have a wireless connection, why spend more on a laptop. If you travel a lot or have a wireless network and like to surf or play games while watching tv, then a laptop definitely is the way to go.

Desktops will eventually die outDesktops Obsolete?

You have to really consider that laptops are becoming very powerful.

And they are getting much and much cheaper.

Currently, I am running a Core 2 Duo (T5750), 3GB RAM, 250GBHDD in an HP Pavillion notebook. I got this machine for around $600 andit trumps most desktops in daily tasks, or at least keeps up with them.I am pretty sure desktops will die out, because they are too big,cumbersome, and very inefficient.

And if you like the comfort of a desktop, you can always hookthe laptop up to an external keyboard and wireless mouse with someexternal speakers. But you can have the convieniece and portability ofa laptop when you need it. I am almost positive that desktops willbecome obsolete, because notebook computers can do anything a desktopcan and more.