xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Mascot Phobia cant understand why some are afraid of mascots

I am 20 years old and I have an extreme phobia of mascots. From the time I was little my mom could never put my on Santa's lap, never liked the Easter Bunny. The only characters in Disney World that I would approach were those without masks like the princesses. I understand that there is just a person in the suit, but it?s the suit that scares me. I do not like not being able to see someone?s eyes. I guess it?s more a fear of the mask then the actual mascot. I understand this fear is irrational but isn't that the exact definition of a phobia? As for your co-worker, cut her some slack. Phobias are uncontrollable. I would just like to say that people with phobias of spiders or insects are more ridiculous than a mascot fear because even the tiny bugs they freak out. You never know who is in the suit, or what their hiding. Being in close range to mascots, I get panic attacks, and if they continue to approach me, I will start crying. I'm sorry if this makes me seem stupid, but it?s a fear and I know there is nothing I can do, but try to avoid the mascots.

I am 20 years old and I have an extreme phobia of mascots. From the time I was little my mom could never put my on Santa's lap, never liked the Easter Bunny. The only characters in Disney World that I would approach were those without masks like the princesses. I understand that there is just a person in the suit, but its the suit that scares me. I do not like not being able to see someones eyes. I guess its more a fear of the mask then the actual mascot. I understand this fear is irrational but isn't that the exact definition of a phobia? As for your co-worker, cut her some slack. Phobias are uncontrollable. I would just like to say that people with phobias of spiders or insects are more ridiculous than a mascot fear because even the tiny bugs they freak out. You never know who is in the suit, or what their hiding. Being in close range to mascots, I get panic attacks, and if they continue to approach me, I will start crying. I'm sorry if this makes me seem stupid, but its a fear and I know there is nothing I can do, but try to avoid the mascots.

YES! I totally agree, it's so annoying when people constantly put you down because of our phobia. It isn't our fault. I react the same way you do!

i've been holding back on this topic in my mind for quite some time: why are some people so afraid of mascots? you know, like Ronald McDonald and his friends, etcetera. :D
i have this officemate who is so afraid of mascots, that she always tries to hide behind anybody walking along with her when she sees a mascot nearby. and she shrieks in fear when the mascot even remotely attempts to approach and get near her.

i don't understand how even after reaching way past adulthood (she's in her mid-20's), she could still not brush away her phobic reaction to mascots. i can understand kids still not in their teens harboring a natural fear of a huge mascot, but not adults. :D a traumatic past? but she insists she has none of such kind as a kid, it's just that she is afraid of them for no apparent reason. of course she knows a human/person is inside such mascot and it's just a costume, but she can't shake away her fear.

are you afraid of mascots? :D what's your explanation?

I am the same way and I am around 17 years old. I went to school and saw a mascot and freaked out! I started crying and running and I do not why I am so afraid of it I just have this deep fear of it. Like you said it is un explainable and I can not contain it.

I am 23 years old and I have an intense fear of mascots. Im trying to discover the source of this fear as I have never had any "bad" experiences with this sort of thing. I am shaking at the very thought of encountering a mascot, I avoid public places with children and even rugby games. If anyone has any info about this phobia please let me know as I would like to get to the bottom of this, I'm a factual and logical minded individual but this stirs a deep sense of fear within me... Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I have a fear with mascots and people dressed as characters for example mickey mouse and the Easter bunny, but not with Santa because I can see his face... however I was afraid of male clowns when I was younger but I am no longer afraid of them now... I cannot go to places like 6 flags because of my fear as soon as I see these kind of ppl I break down and cry... P.S im 22 ! ! I believe this started when I was a little girl and our babysitter's daughter dressed up like a bunny and my mom forced me to go near it ! ! When I was in high school I was fine because I knew who our mascot was but if I cannot see your face I get scared or really nervous ! ! but all in all my family and my close friends and loved ones know about my fear ! ! I have not really told anyone else ! ! except you lol

I have this phobia and I didn't really have it until a local radio station's rabbit mascot came to the Girl Scout camp I worked at and started hitting on all of the women there. then the realization set it that it could be a pedophile in the suit, or rapist. Anything. He was making the other counselors feel uncomfortable. Now I have the same fear for clowns and lately, masks. My dad got this plain white mask at a craft store that only has eye and mouth holes and anytime he gets it out, he sends me into a panic attack. I can't tolerate it. I cry and freak out and my heart races uncontrollably. I'm 18 and graduating soon. I'm not proud of this. My friends don't even know about this. I wish there was some way to get rid of it.

I've had this fear all my life and I'm 15 now. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I've probably annoyed my relatives because at amusement parks I have to go as far as it takes to avoid them, even if it means taking the long route. They swear that they won't look at me, but I still panic. Normally I'm just a quiet and nice girl. When a mascot (or clown) is around, I scream like crazy and get really bossy and stubborn. It's so embarassing. I even worry when there is a possibilty of being one.

..do i know you?? it seems you are talking about me..hehei do admit i have the phobia/fear of mascots..i feel the same with your friend, whenever i see a mascot i freeze and starts to panicked.. thou i tried to deal with it before by touching a mascot, but i think it only worsen the situation...it may seem funny or silly but it does create an unpleasant feeling..that there will be times, my friends would notice that i;m already crying without me noticing it at all..so maybe i wouldn't enjoy going to an amusement parks that has mascots...no big deal, than risking my life :D :XD:now im in mid 20's but i still fear mascots..but i like cosplaying <3

Ok, this is really a strange topic. I am surprised at how many people are and even admit to being afraid of mascots? Seriously, afraid of people in funny costums? Why on earth would anybody be afraid of something like that? Just seems way to silly to me. There are some phobias that make perfect sense. For example, fear of spiders. I can get that one. Spiders can bite you, and some are very poisonous, they can cause you to die even, or have great hunks of your flesh rot out of your body. So I can see a reason to be afraid of spiders. But seriously, when did Mickey Mouse ever kill anybody?

I thought I wasn't afraid of mascots because I would become so stressed out when i saw one that I literally would have to go hide somewhere because I literaly wanted to kill them. Then when I thought about it, I am having a fight or flight reaction and realised I was afraid. I am 25 now and I honestly haven't got a clue where it has come from and what has caused it. I've never had a traumatic experience as a child and I like masks and clowns. It literally is such a rage when I see them on tv and god forbid some poor soul is handing flyers out on the street. I haven't got a clue how to go about changing these feelings. I only have a few other fears of spiders and moths but I want to run away from them.