xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Panzer

Windows System Restore Leads To System Crash

I use windows XP Pro SP2I was using system restore to get my computer back the way it was 6 days ago. ( I accidently deleted some VERY important files).It restarted as normal, went through the black start up screen, the Windows XP screen with the loading bar down the bottom and then..A droning noise, like something powering down.It continued to do that in an endless cycle. I have tried starting it in safe mode, and the "Last known working configuration" but the same thing happens. Today my Dad is bringing the back-up we made on his external hard disk but does anyone know what might have caused this?

What type of important files were you deleting? If they were system files, then that could very well be the cause of your problem. Other than that, I have no idea what caused it. It could be a problem with your hardware, too.

Well the guy who i bought the computer off had partioned the hard drive into 2. C drive was FAT32 and D drive was NTFS. I think XP was installed on C but i can'b be sure.(Luckily) with the backup i can get it to boot off the floppy, unfortunetly the comp didnt come with the disks (yes. illegal... i know...) and for it to go back to the backup, you need the Windows XP disk in there. So mums trying to get a LEGAL copy from the IT guy at the school she works at.Anyway.. just getting more and more confusing.

Try booting into Safe Mode Command Prompt Only (or something similar).Are you able to do that?If so, check the C:\WINDOWS\FONTS folder. Do this:1. C:2. cd windows\fonts3. dirIf you find no files in there, copy some from a CD, another computer or somewhere else. That is likely the problem. The files that need to be extracted are *.ttf and *.fon.Hope that helps.

That same thing happened to me about a month ago.What caused my problem is that i had a backup of my Registry, and cause i was messing around with it i decided to restore it, as known, computer needs to restart to make the changes done, but it happened what you said above. On the Windows loading screen, it reboot by itself making strange noises on the motherboard. I left my PC repeating that cycle for about an hour and nothing different happened.I wasnt able to boot it, even in safe mode, or anything.I had to format (oh well...) booting my PC from my windows CD, but it was a little tricky cause the PC wasnt booting from the CD!! it went to the HDD over an over, so my uncle had to modify the BIOS and tell to start the BIOS first than the system.. (or something like that)I could not find any other reason than a wrong line on registry that made it loss WINDOWS files and keep rebooting over an over.. well thats my theory and i could not find other solution than formatt.Good luck with it, hope you fix it.

Thanks alot, i understand every bit of it! Im using my old computer at the moment. Unfortunately i won't be able to get the disks for another week.Mayby i should go and buy Windows 98 or something...

System Restore also restores virus and when system restoring it to an earlier time also restores viruses and most viruses prominent in windows resides in system restore's folder. Better to always turn it off and then turn it on every now and then because turning it off deletes the entire system restore cache/folder. Turn it on if you want.File systems can be a problem too. XP is better in an NTFS Files System.Or maybe your using an illegal copy of Windows XP. Microsoft has this new thing called Genuine Validation Tool automatically downloaded in Automatic Updates of Windows. If using an illegal copy, always turn automatic updates off. Or better, buy a genuine MS XP. :D

I have had a similiar experience as to the one you are in right now. Unfortunately, what I had to do is something I'm sure you don't want to do.Like a joke, I failed to make a recovery disk. So when I went through an issue very similar to yours, where I tried to do a restore and my computer failed to start up again, I had to do a complete system recovery and start from scratch. I would contact support with your computer company, hopefully you are still in coverage so it's free.Don't have much advice, only hope you don't have to go down the same road I had to, because I lost everything :D.

EDITIts back up and running. I decided to wipe the hard drive altogether and install a fresh legal copy of windows XP. It boots up in about 10 seconds and takes the same amount of time to shut down again.

Edited by Panzer (see edit history)

When delete some important files from windows dir. only solution is to boot PC with original bootable win CDand from second screen choose recovery/you must select partition with installed Windows /Blue screen,boot time restart ,freezing and not working safe mode are usually symptom,s

What files did you delete?Important files to you, or the computer it self?

system restore simply doesn't work. i tried it, and it failed. it's just microsoft trick to get ppl to think windows are smarter. if you delete file from disk no one can restore that file couse it is deleted!Only thing that you can use system restore for is if you updated some drivers and they were bad or corrupted system restore can then use old versions of drivers instead of new ones..If you, for example, deleted ntldr file from your C drive not even god himself can help you restore your computer! so again i repeat, if you deleted some crucial file from windows or C drive (if your windows are installed on C) system restore cant help you couse it's stupid like the rest of windows ;) turn it off and help your computer to get a bit faster..also, @firefoxrocks, your sig is funny, couse it shows my IP, OS, and Browser which is, guess what, firefox.. It's not big thing, couse even noob like me knows PHP code used to get that information. At least delete that thing "Use firefox" and put "Learn using Proxy", couse what i learned so far it is the only way to stop somebody to get your "vital information". even using Linux, BSD or any other "cool" os's without using proxy you can view that information..