xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedidog

Pluto No More Planet definition

So Pluto is no more! :D It appears (no pun intended) that Pluto has been ranked down to the status of dwarf planet. Can you imagine if you are inhabitant of Pluto, not to say that a Plutonian would call it's planet Pluto,but for this off beat discussion let's assume they are Plutonians and they call it Pluto. How would they feel? Hey guys, we thought you planet wasn't worthy so we're making you a dwarf planet! You're no longer on the board of the planets of the solar system.On a more serious angle, this will mean a rewriting of the encylopedias and science books - remember Pluto? Well - he left! This certainly isn't the first time the books have to be rewritten so in some ways it shouldn't come as a surpise. But the debate is still going on, Pluto is not out yet. :P Still, on a positive note Pluto can have its own 'club' along with the other dwarf planet - Ceres - A kind of fringe movement - rights for size-challenged planets! It seems the big planets are just trying to bully there way in again. Perhaps the smaller planets could have their own system? Still, if there's going to be any chunk of rock to blame it should be 2003 UB313 - being a few hundred km bigger than Pluto it caused all the problems.The debate continues <_<

So Pluto is no more! :D It appears (no pun intended) that Pluto has been ranked down to the status of dwarf planet. Can you imagine if you are inhabitant of Pluto, not to say that a Plutonian would call it's planet Pluto,but for this off beat discussion let's assume they are Plutonians and they call it Pluto. How would they feel? Hey guys, we thought you planet wasn't worthy so we're making you a dwarf planet! You're no longer on the board of the planets of the solar system.
On a more serious angle, this will mean a rewriting of the encylopedias and science books - remember Pluto? Well - he left! This certainly isn't the first time the books have to be rewritten so in some ways it shouldn't come as a surpise. But the debate is still going on, Pluto is not out yet. :P
Still, on a positive note Pluto can have its own 'club' along with the other dwarf planet - Ceres - A kind of fringe movement - rights for size-challenged planets! It seems the big planets are just trying to bully there way in again. Perhaps the smaller planets could have their own system? Still, if there's going to be any chunk of rock to blame it should be 2003 UB313 - being a few hundred km bigger than Pluto it caused all the problems.

The debate continues <_<

Yeah, it kinda sucks. But most people are still going to consider it a planet because that's how they learned it. That's how I learned it so I'm still going to consider it a planet. But it does suck. Poor Pluto.

I think that the astronauts are too lazy to try and land on it, or even research it anymore. I'm guessing that the distance is too much for them to handle.

Still, I will miss pluto. But, it would suck if you were a 'plutonian' and you just found out that your planet isn't going to even be called a planet. Nothing but a mere rock.

Well, I hope the story of pluto passes on to the next generation.

meh, who cares IMOschool books do not need to be re-written they just need to be updated...and since most schools are on a 7 year cycle where they get the most updated version of all books every 7 years. so its not like the schools will have to bother with buying brand new books right away.....next to the fact that there are sure to be more planets they will add or deduct from our planet list before they even bother with chaning the books around.... kinda like the world trade centers, and the war that almost the whole world is in against the israiles (whatever they are called) i am sure they will wait till the war is over, to even bother with putting it in schools history books, maybe in books in actual libraries are stories about 9/11 but not so much about the war...but oh well, its about time this boring world had a change.... in some way <_<

I hope they some how bring Pluto back. It's a great planet. It makes us happier because it makes all the other planets look larger. WE MUST SAVE PLUTO!!! All in favor of helping me build a rocket that goes light speed and can get us there in 1 day say "I"! We will go to the planet and make it larger. I got the air pump <_< . Pluto is a cool planet. They will have to modify The Magic School Bus which I used to think was a great show.

I think that the astronauts are too lazy to try and land on it, or even research it anymore. I'm guessing that the distance is too much for them to handle.

Still, I will miss pluto. But, it would suck if you were a 'plutonian' and you just found out that your planet isn't going to even be called a planet. Nothing but a mere rock.

Well, I hope the story of pluto passes on to the next generation.

Well they already have a mission to Pluto which will reach at 2015. The mission is actually bigger than before because of the new classification "Dwarf Planet" They will base the characteristics of Pluto for new Dwarf Planets they want to classify. It's a bigger deal than you might think. We now have in a way expanded our solar system. Sure they were always there but now they sort of have meaning and exploration will begin on the new dwarf planets.

An expanded solar system. Why have 1 when we can have 2 <_< when all the debate is over they sure should rename that 2003 UB313 planet. It definitley needs character you know, imagine a dwarf planet convention, hi pluto, this is ceres, charon you already know, oh...and 2003 ub313! :P

I was all for Pluto remaining a planet and the others being made planets too, I mean a solar system with 12 planets is more interesting than a solar system with 8 right. And there is still hope as alot of members of the IAU that were not there to vote have expressed concerns about the new definition especially the 'cleared the field around it's orbit' part, that excludes Pluto, so there may be hope. I find the proposed definition (that one that was to enlarge the solar system) to have been not right too, as eventually (in a really, really long time) that would have meant that Earth's Moon would have had to have been defined as a planet (it's actually larger than Pluto). This is what makes me see the sense in Pluto not being a planet, the fact that there are potentially hundereds of larger objects within the solar system that are not considered planets, the fact is that Pluto is itself not special, still it would have been nice of them to have named the new class (dwarf planet) after Pluto, in the form of the proposed Pluton (this is apperently taken by geologists though)

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

This shows how constantly the created(evolve, whatever) things in this world are evolving, especially those stuffs on the sky. Poor Pluto. It couldn't keep its place and history will not remember it anymore. But it will take much time to let Plato move away from the people who have already learned it as part of the solar system and a especially as a planet. But for the new generations it will also take time to introduce in school textbooks. I remember many textbooks are upgraded after a decade in many countries.

Plenoptic stole some of what I was going to say, but I have a little more:

1. Astronauts have nothing to do with the classification of planets and whatnot. This was done by the IAU.

2. It's way too far to send people there.

3. Research on planets is done by probes and observation from high-powered telescopes, not by sending people to them.

I've read a little about that! I didn't believe it at first like it'd be a joke or something, then I clicked a link leading to some Science on space.com and since it's coming from space.com, (never been to that site before but it looks like a serious and only true fact site) I didn't think it'd be a joke or anything. It also included that we don't have nine planets anymore, but eight.

Edited by AnGeL KiSS (see edit history)

What does it matter to us? Except for the fact that we have one less planet to learn about. I don't think Astronauts are too lazy to look for it. In my opinion, they might not have the technology to go that far but that's just me. I'm stupid so never listen to me :D.

A few things came to mind, some serious, some silly. Wasn't there some kind of way to remember the order of the planets? M.V.E.M.J.S.U.N.P. <= something like "My very * mother just * * * * pie" (someone fill this in for me. I never really used that before...) or whatever. Wouldn't taking Pluto out of the system totally kill that way of remembering the order of the planets? :DAlso, yeah, it sucks to be Pluto. I find Pluto to be one of the coolest planets in the Solar System. (yeah, even more than Earth << >> ) It's so small yet so mysterious. And then there's also the fact that it sometimes treads pass the path Neptune uses to revolve around the sun. It makes me think that what would happen if they suddenly collided one day. (yeah, i'll be dead by then.....)Also, I heard that they were going to add another planet into the solar system to take place of Pluto. The guy who discovered was going to name it "Xena" after the TV show "Xena warrior princess" or something...I find it insulting to Pluto that a random object is going to take its place. Sure, it's be bigger than it. But everyone knows that it's Quality over Quantity. And I find Pluto to be much more interesting than this Xena. I mean, how long will it take to reach it with a space ship? It'll probably be a few more decades until they try to launch until ship to Xena. (Wasn't there a ship heading to Pluto too? They better NOT change the course of the ship to head towards Xena or something...)

do any of you remeber this whole panet x and y thing that went on a few years back? Apparently two far away asteroids were classified as planets orbiting our sun?If pluto is a dwarf planet then what are they????