xisto Community
ProtoMan

Forum Url Help

If you want your own dot com name

You need to purchase a domain name and change your hosting account to your domain name. This involves nameserver changing and domain hosting name changing. Both are well covered under Hosting Members Area and quick links at Xisto Readme.

Second and easiest way is to get URL redirect service such as co.nr or uni.cc. If you don't mind uni.cc (something.uni.cc) you can use it like a top level domain name (such as .net .com etc) as long as uni.cc is still providing nameserver changes. Co.nr is mere redirect which is very useful when you have long domain name. It can me short.co.nr as your domain name that redirects to somethinglong.trap17.com

Purchasing a domain name isn't hard these days. Visit https://xisto.com/ for domain prices or Yahoo is currently doing a special price on first year domain pricing.

After obtaining a domain name, go to the process page and select option number 2 to "tie" the domain name to your hosting. Before you do this it is important that you access your domain control and change nameserver to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com.

To see the different aspect of your forum location

You can write index page to redirect to your forum FOLDER. This method has been discussed in Hosted Members Area under the title How to redirect from one page to another. This topic covers using redirect script or cPanel redirect method.

Basically this means that when someone types your-site.trap17.com it will redirect to your-site.trap17.com/forum folder. Co.nr can be used to redirect to your forum folder by pointing your-site.co.nr --> your-site.trap17.com/forum. This also can be used for uni.cc domain name.

IF you cant pay for your own domain name like I can't becuase I dont have a credit card, there are sites such as ezyrewards where you can earn rewards including free domain names. I got my domain name from there.

Those free websites arent that reliable and good as they are sometimes insecure sites that only want you to join... And most offers only last a year and they will terminate after the due date and you've to either pay for the domain or get another free domain and find other free domain site if the current one you are using has closed down...And perhaps you got get yourself an easier subdomain name @ Xisto.com where your members can remember it easier and maybe put your forum in a subfolder name "forum" (without the quotation)...

IF you cant pay for your own domain name like I can't becuase I dont have a credit card, there are sites such as ezyrewards where you can earn rewards including free domain names. I got my domain name from there.

Whoa , free damain ? I haven't know about that before. But will I be able to use it permanently , I really need a domain for my site , please answer me , rldowling03 . And can you give the lick lead to that ezyrewards site ? Thank you.
I'm worry about what hype said , too ? I don't know if I should trust that site.
Edited by ProtoMan (see edit history)

Hi Protoman, except hosting I haven't heard of free domain from any company. However, some forums give away some domains free if a member post cross certain posts. One such forum was driftingwa dot com. But they don't offer anymore now. When they did, the number of post require was around 1,500 posts if Icould recall correctly. And you don't have any right over that kind of domain because they are the ones who paid. It must be paid annually. So, I don't think others can pay for you yearly that way. Domain names are not costly. If you visit yahoo small business site they offer very low. Godadd dot com too offers quite affordable domain registration fee. Both are less than US $10 a year which is quite cheap. If you are able to browse internet like this and participate in a forum like this I know you can definitely buy one domain which you have to pay only once a year and you can host here for free. So, why ponder and run about searching for free domain. You could buy it and own it on your own. I hope this helps.

Hi Protoman, except hosting I haven't heard of free domain from any company. However, some forums give away some domains free if a member post cross certain posts. One such forum was driftingwa dot com. But they don't offer anymore now. When they did, the number of post require was around 1,500 posts if Icould recall correctly. And you don't have any right over that kind of domain because they are the ones who paid. It must be paid annually. So, I don't think others can pay for you yearly that way.

Domain names are not costly. If you visit yahoo small business site they offer very low. Godadd dot com too offers quite affordable domain registration fee. Both are less than US $10 a year which is quite cheap. If you are able to browse internet like this and participate in a forum like this I know you can definitely buy one domain which you have to pay only once a year and you can host here for free.

So, why ponder and run about searching for free domain. You could buy it and own it on your own.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.I won't hesitate anymore. I thought that I have to pay for a domain around 15 Dollars each month so I tried to find free domain but I don't know a domain is that cheap. Thank you very much , I will go get it as soon as I can.

Hi dear rldowling03 Do you win Domain name at ezyrewards ?i have ezyrewards Account but i can not find where i can order domainAnd for Hosting i agree BuffaloHELP , dear ProtoMan You can park your domain at your account in cpanel or addon sorry my en is not very good