xisto Community
Dawiss

Smilies At Forum do you use smilies

Smilies at forum  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do on occasions on the many forums I regularly visit (and the few I mod), but when I write out long essays/statements/replies to debates, I tend not to use it as much.But yeah, there are the odd chatty threads in other forums which tend to use emotes a lot, but I tend to stay out of then considering the post-w^%ring nature. Although its a good thing that many forums tend to have the no-post-count setting enforced to some chatty-like forums.

I use smilies, they help me get a point across. It's impossible to project sarcasm in text, so you just put a smiley at the end, like so.I hate you all! :DSee? It works at least.

I use them an aweful lot, mostly because they show that I'm not serious though. On the net, and really in any writing, it's often hard to see if someone means what they're saying or not. They're best for that, and other things in my case. That and mood.

I use them when my words can't really express my meaning or facial expression, although there have been many times when i just can't find the right smile... then i get frustrated... and curse the heavens, then i go get a coke. :unsure:edit: I can't spell worth crap...

Edited by hotchick2121 (see edit history)

Ok I have mentioned only few people who uses smilies ( :(:(:(:D:P:D:D:(:o:(:unsure::D;)B) ).. My question is why you use smilies and why you use/don't use them?

I use them just because I like to! It kind of helps to express what you are tryign to get out and they are just really fun to use haha. Pretty much all of my posts have some sort of smilie in it :( Whether it is from the Xisto selection or just ones that I like to use :P.

As you might have guessed by the content of this post, I sometimes use smilies whenever I want to emphasize my comments a bit further...if I can't find the right words to express my feelings at the time of typing.BTW...check out the new avatar! :unsure: (There you go...you'll probably won't see another smilie from me for a while now.)

Edited by shigajet (see edit history)

Well I think it is ok to use smilies sparingly. just as long as it is not obnoxious. Using to many smilies in my opinion is very distastful, and extremely distracting. A simple :unsure: is ok every now and then, as long as your uses are spaced out!

I don't use them very often myself. When I do use them, it's usually just a :), :), or :) smiley to indicate sarcasm. They can be nice additions to posts, but it's extremely annoying when people use them every second sentence, it crowds the post and makes it more difficult to read.

I don't use the emote smilies, I use text smilies though.^^, <.<, >.<. xDThey seem a lot more fun to me. I personally can't stand the picture smilies, I'm not sure why. It's probably a secondary characterestic or a subconscious thing, n00bs generally tend to abuse those smilies so some part of my mentality tends to dislike them. (A n00b and a newb are different, just to clarify)

I don't use smilies in forum posts or twitter posts. I mostly use them in IRC and IM. Smilies are useful for sarcasm and jokes, as mentioned before.
I've met people that make it a habit to punctuate every sentence with a smilie.

That kinda looks like this.

Person that uses smilies: I like smilies. :)Person that uses smilies: Smilies are essential to speaking on the Internet. :)
Person that uses smilies: There are so many of them! ;)
Person that uses smilies: Downloading smilies for apps is dangerous. :)
Person that uses smilies: They can contain viruses. ;)
Person that hates smilies: Be quiet already.

and so on like that. This can annoy some people. I am sort of neutral with smilies, as long as they are not overused.
I sometimes use them in sigs of forums that I visit though.

The use of smilies really depends on the person and what they are talking about. A technical tutorial might not have a whole lot of smilies,
but a list of one-liners probably would be riddled with them.

If a person that likes to be funny is writing the technical tutorial, there might be more smilies than a person that really
just wants to write the tutorial and code.

People shouldn't use a whole lot of different types of smilies. Even though some people can come up with thousands of smilies,
only about twenty should be used.

That's all just my opinion, of course.
Edited by possible123 (see edit history)

I don't use the emote smilies, I use text smilies though.

Yar, most of the time I use text smilies. Text smilies don't have any noticable effect on load time or CPU usage, haven't had their reputations ruined because of spammers, can express just as much, if not more emotion then image smileys, and can be slipped into posts more often without getting annoying.

I like smilies! :) They can be quite helpful in many instances. When you converse with someone with text only, and the person cannot hear the "tone" of your voice, it happens often that statements can be taken the wrong way. Think of a simple statement like, "What are you talking about?" Said in a hateful tone, one would understand that the person saying it is implying that you are an idiot and haven't a clue what you are talking about. Or said in a questioning tone, you can assume that someone may of just not understood something or missed a bit of converstation. Quite a bit of difference there.

I use them sometimes, but not going too overboard. I think if you use them too often in the same post, especially on a forum like this it can just look silly and childish when you are trying to be mature. Though when you use them in the right place they work just like they should, to display emotions. Like if you were trying to have a joke with another member and you didn't use a smiley then they might not see it as a joke then you end in a flame war but using the correct smiley means they will have a better chance of understanding that you were only joking and don't hate them really :)So yeh, use them in the right place and they are effective and pretty useful at times.