xisto Community
diJenerate

The Best Free Stuff Is The Best Os

The world's best O.S. is still the best free thing that is also available on the internet. That's right Linux (and I do not include the Warez versions of that commercial money making venture from Apple Computer Corp, Darwin Distro.) and the real Linux distros such as Fedora etc. The free OS, the non-commercial OS, the OS made by the people for the people and with one goal in mind - to provide an OS that works not to make some greedy businessman rich.

There is nothing MS Windows can do that Linux can't but there is plenty Linux can that MS Windows isn't even aware can be done. Then of course there is the tonne of freeware that works on it.

Anywayz enough promo, check out DistroWatch for current info, and if nothing more, consider this, the most sincere form of flattery is imitation - Windows Vista contains Monad, a Bash clone (or an attempt to make one)

Edited by diJenerate (see edit history)

I know linux is very good at a lot of things but it still isn't user friendly. It's for geeks not for so-so computer users who wouldn't know the first thing to do when he needs to install new hardware on his machine running on linux. hat's why I prefer to use Windows instead. It's more convinient and besides a lot of the applications I use run on Windows anywayz like Photoshop. You know what? I think unless Linux keeps up with Windows in terms of its being user friendly and in terms of having more applications run on it, it's never going to be used widely and a lot of people would have to think hard before making a switch.

I know linux is very good at a lot of things but it still isn't user friendly. It's for geeks not for so-so computer users who wouldn't know the first thing to do when he needs to install new hardware on his machine running on linux.

hat's why I prefer to use Windows instead. It's more convinient and besides a lot of the applications I use run on Windows anywayz like Photoshop.

You know what? I think unless Linux keeps up with Windows in terms of its being user friendly and in terms of having more applications run on it, it's never going to be used widely and a lot of people would have to think hard before making a switch.

If you have ever used a Nokia Mobile phone (symbian OS) or MacOS X, you have used a user friendly linux. My issue with MacOS is that apple has lost sight of the purpose of linux and has just used the linux community to help make their product stronger. The Symbian OS on a nokia phone is Linux based and they are several other things that are based on linux that you probably don't realize but use on a daily basis. Linux is just the kernel, everything else added on (like the GUI, window manager application software utilities etc) make it a distribution.

On the topic of userfriendly distros, try Mandriva or Ubuntu and on the topic of compatibility, there are ways to get every windows program to run in linux, it just takes reading, not geek skills <_<.

Did you know that you can get Windows DirectX games to run in linux and in some cases they run more smoothly and are much more stable on weaker hardware?

As for hardware, it's really the rare generic stuff that gives you trouble these days. Try it again, most of the distros have really come of age.

Everything you need to know is on the net, just read. After all knowledge is power and you can never know too much.
Edited by diJenerate (see edit history)

I'm currently in the process of getting Linux onto my laptop, but I have to keep Windows on it too. There are just too many programs I'm used to using and because of that, I'm quicker in Windows, but I am sure that gradually I will get used to the free Linux equivalents. I've chosen Kubuntu as my distro as it looks pretty easy to use, but still feature packed and as customizable as the more complex distros. I also prefer the look of KDE over Gnome, but I'm not entering that debate.

I always wanted to use Linux but I had many doubts about it and I am now so familiar with Windows that I never took the trouble to google it up and solve my doubts.Now I am getting more and more interested into using Linux.Now I have to concentrate on my studies as my exams are starting from 29th so I will think of installing Linux on my PC after that!If anyone has any cool links where I can solve many of my questions please post them here. <_<

Linux is just the kernel, everything else added on (like the GUI, window manager application software utilities etc) make it a distribution.

Ok but I have yet to see a linux release on PC where the GUI is as good or better than Windows. Maybe you could help me out. Do you know of any?

And what about photoshop? can I make it run on linux? So far, what I am getting in google are just articles about the possibility of photoshop running on linux.

I know linux is very good at a lot of things but it still isn't user friendly. It's for geeks not for so-so computer users who wouldn't know the first thing to do when he needs to install new hardware on his machine running on linux.

hat's why I prefer to use Windows instead. It's more convinient and besides a lot of the applications I use run on Windows anywayz like Photoshop.

You know what? I think unless Linux keeps up with Windows in terms of its being user friendly and in terms of having more applications run on it, it's never going to be used widely and a lot of people would have to think hard before making a switch.

That is SO not true. It used to be, but Linux has a LONG way since then. My guess is, if you aren't really stupid, you can get to know your way around Linux like the back of your hand in about the same time as it would take for XP. Not to mention it's 10x more secure, and 20x more powerful. (You can do ANYTHING from a command prompt.) Then there's the fact that nearly everything on it is FREE.

Including a program that easily rivals MS Office. (OpenOffice.org) Then there's always that it looks way cooler, and has tons more stock games. =D Ubuntu will even send you a free install disc. <3

And yes, this is all coming from a Windows user. And that's because my PC doesn't have room for Linux too, and my old one runs ME, which won't dual boot with Linux very easily. >.>

The world's best O.S. is still the best free thing that is also available on the internet. That's right Linux (and I do not include the Warez versions of that commercial money making venture from Apple Computer Corp, Darwin Distro.) and the real Linux distros such as Fedora etc. The free OS, the non-commercial OS, the OS made by the people for the people and with one goal in mind - to provide an OS that works not to make some greedy businessman rich.
There is nothing MS Windows can do that Linux can't but there is plenty Linux can that MS Windows isn't even aware can be done. Then of course there is the tonne of freeware that works on it.

Anywayz enough promo, check out DistroWatch for current info, and if nothing more, consider this, the most sincere form of flattery is imitation - Windows Vista contains Monad, a Bash clone (or an attempt to make one)

allright... yes linux is the *BLEEP* lol...

suse is what i use anyways... Linux is not for the simple minded just type up the hw paper and gammers... you have to know what your doing and its more towards the not so friendly if you do something bad...

on the other hand windows you can *BLEEP* it up alot and its still friendly (and easier to fix half the time...)
You also have to relize for gamers (me included) cant just install games into lets say vmware casue it wont run fast enough... and its just not the same in a emulator... so windows is better for the games...

Linux definatly has better security and you can change EVEYTHING... while windows has what like millions of viruses... and you cant change anything...

IMO windows is good but linux is definatly better for some things

My guess is, if you aren't really stupid, you can get to know your way around Linux like the back of your hand in about the same time as it would take for XP.

I'd disagree, it's hard enough trying to figure how to unmount my usb flash drive in Mandrake (unlike in xp where you just have to right-click and press "safely remove hardware"), why in the world should I bother doing more complicated things?

You can do ANYTHING from a command prompt.

For some people coding in the command prompt is just too abstract and besides that is so jurassic, it's the age of the GUI's everything has to be graphical not text-based. Command prompt is just too intimidating. And Computers are not my field anyway so why the in the world should I spend so much time learning how to unmount a usb flash drive in the terminal when I can just right-click and "safely remove hardware" in windows xP?

I agree on that first statement. I run Linux, and doing things that can be done in a few clicks in Windows can take many more steps in Linux (specifically SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional). Installing software in Windows is always a point and click process; installing RPMs from the terminal invloves memorizing those arcane parameters for the rpm command. Maybe I would have a more positive opinion is my computer was faster, but that's my problem.
And yes, Windows is convinient, and it's a bit more than universal. Almost any task can be accomplished rather quickly. And you can't beat the software selection.