xisto Community
michaelper22

Back From Camp And happy to be...

After a long and slightly boring two months away at camp, I am finally back home. I spent the summer at Camp Dora Golding (http://www.campdoragolding.com/), a religious camp in the Pocono mountains (in Pennsylvania, my second favorite state). In the books, I went there as a CIT (counselor in training), which is little more than a normal camper, but also worked at the zipline (at which campers climb up rock wall, or a wood wall, and zip across the lake; all of this involves various safety equipment, so that the camp doesn't get its rear-end sued off) to avoid complete boredom. Overall this was my best summer there (of the five that I was there, including this year).
Back to the real world. I am very happy to be back here at the Trap. Even though I am now using paid hosting, I will continue to post for as long as I can. If you notice that my writing style changed at all since I left, don't worry; I will still try to present my down-to-earth approach to posting (am I exhibiting that right now?).
I'd like to personally thank OpaQue for his outstanding work on keeping this forum going, and improving it in many ways, and especially for providing me with the super-cheap yet awesome paid hosting (only 1&1 can beat him <_< ).

Welcome back to civilization.Where the mosquitoes bad? How was the food? Tell us more...

Fortunately, I didn't get hit by mosquitoes too much. The food was good, but was given out in (mostly) large portions, so I think I gained a few pounds over the summer. The camp is pretty big (somewhere around 250 acres), so getting almost anywhere is a nice shlep, especially for about 2/3 of the campers, whose bunks are located in the somewhat far corners of the camp.
Here's something that will sound funny/cool: All of the bunks have air conditioners. Now get a load of this: they are on a timer in a locked box located on the front of a bunkhouse, and it's controlled by the care taker and maybe one or two other high level administrators. The A/c is only on at nights after hot days, visiting days, and a few other times. I think they were originally going to leyt us control them via a switch in the wall, as indicated by a junction box with some wiring but no switch, but obviously they changed their minds.
As a CIT, we got an old, and completely different bunk than the rest of the camp, with an air conditioner that we control (and are responsible for if it breaks from being on 24/7, which it wasn't; it still exhibited problems).
The camp is a luxury camp. one indication of that is the bringing in of a limo for color war breakout. They gave each bunk aa minute-long ride around the camp. You are laughing huh? That limo was pretty nice. It was a stretch Expedition, with comfy leather seats, a mini-bar with fancy lights around it (no drinks though <_< ) and a TV and fancy stereo. It also costs much less than other camps in the mountains, due to the fact that it is backed by a Federation, so they get lot of dough (aka $$$) from the board and everything.
I did have a good summer, but I don't particularly want to go back. If I had to go back though, I would probably either go with the Zipline job mentioned earlier (not so hard but tiring work = no cash, or at least until I hit 17 years) or being a waiter (quite hard work = lots of $$$ from tips).