xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
red_dragon_here

What Is Google Upto ? google

I just saw a topic named Life before Google. In this context I just thought that we can take a look at what google is aiming for. OK their main aim is to make all the information on the planet available to you in searchable form. But if you are closely following google - the applications they are developing in Google labs, the companies they are buying out - you can see a trendGoogle Spreadsheets, Calendar, WritelyNow compare this with Microsoft Excel, Outlook,Word,Google has an internet Office suite ready. The only thing left is to aggressively market it. And also make an offline version available for these applications. A version that can run on your intranet. No hassles such as individual licenses for Office, Windows etc. Use Linux with Firefox. The Office suite will stay on a server in the network. Brilliant.After that God help Microsoft.

You are right. GTalk, it is better than MSN Messenger accept it.MSNSpace, try Google Pages, it rocks and Blogger!The next thing that will break through Googles success will be an browser but I doubt about it.Anyways, M$ sucks and I deeply regret I am using their OS but I don't know Linux but I will try it in this October/November.

It would appear that you are right, although I wouldn't really say that Google Office (Spreadsheets, Writely and to a lesser extent Calendar) was ready for 'prime time' just yet, these applications still have very few features compared to Microsoft Office, and they are still riddled with browser compatibility issues (namely with Opera, now that is hardly universally accessible), however the main core of these technologies are in place.I would also encourage people to look at the steps they have made in making your information universally accessible, i.e. Google Desktop search across computers feature (the core of what I believe will eventually become Platypus, most likely under the name of GDrive). Add to this certain factors as Google Browser Sync, Gmail's don't throw anything away mantra, Google Search History and to some extent the office application named previously, and Picasa Web Albums (people always tend to forget about that) it would appear that Google are readying something of a Google Everything (I'm sure it will yet a better name than this, and be in Beta for ever)Of course all of this will be handily tied to your Google Account making it easy for Google to build a profile of you, which will ultimately be used to target advertisements specifically to each individual, netting Google massive profits, because at the end of the day Google is an advertisement company (something which is nearly always overlooked when discussing the merits and future of Google services)

Cool I am suprised that google is expanding themselves. I always thought they were just going to stay the top search site. Well I am happ for them. When will this be available?

as for all the new stuff google brings out, I don't think they market it enough. they pretty much just put a link to it on their homepage and then they get 100000000 visitors to it. <_< I guess they don't think they need to market them...