xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Stupid Things You've Done While Making Or Fixing A Pc

I thought this might be interesting, a thread where you can share your *BLEEP*ups concerning hardware, as I've got a few that would cast doubt over the fact I claim to know what I'm doing. First one is the most recent one, I was repairing my mums computer, a P4 system with a minor Windows problem, which was easily fixed. So once I'd fixed the Windows problem, I decided to open up the case and see if I could do anything about the ridiculous temperature the P4 was running at. So I decided to remove the stock cooler and replace the existing TIM with some Arctic Silver 5, so I unclip the cooler, and while trying to remove it from the CPU, I end up pulling it out with the CPU still attached to the bottom. Needless to say this wasn't a good move, so I remove the CPU, replace the TIM and try to reinstall it, but nothing. So after 20 minutes wondering what the *BLEEP* had gone wrong when I pulled out the CPU, I realised I'd bent one of the pins in the process. *BLEEP*, not good. So it took me a few minutes with a precision screwdriver, needle nose pliers and a hell of a lot of very gentle pressure to bend it back into place, god only knows how it didn't snap off. Anyway, everything worked once the pin was back in place and the system works fine now. Next up would be a stupidly simple mistake, while building my brand new behemoth system back in January, I installed the CPU, heatsink and memory on the motherboard, and then installed the motherboard into the case. I then connected the power cable and everything else, but after turning it on, the power led on the motherboard came on, but nothing happened, no usual beep or anything. My first thought was that a BIOS update was needed to recognise my X2 CPU, but this wasn't the case. After maybe half an hour of wondering what was wrong, I realised what it was. I forgot about the extra 4 pin power connection the motherboard needed, which was hidden behind the heatsink/fan out of view, so I connected it up and everything worked as it should. God did I feel stupid, I now always check the simple things first when trying to find out what the problem is, as otherwise you feel like a complete fool when you realise it's something simple. I'm sure I'll think of some more stupid things I've done when working with hardware, but these 2 are the most recent ones.

When i got my new computer (Second hand) my Dad and i opened it up to clean all the fans and parts out with the compressed air spray. We found 7 screws at the bottom of the case...Whoever put the computer together forgot something.

When I put my first computer together, I used the ENTIRE tube of thermal paste. Nothing bad happened, but it was still a rather stupid move of mine.About the P4 bent pin, that's about the worst thing that I can imagine happening to a PC. The stuff of nightmares... That's why I like the new sockets (775 I belive), they're pinless.

well when i first got into computers. i wanted to but a new vid card. so i go and i order from my provider. i w8 for like a week and when the card gets there i got it way to big for ma comp. so i send it back and order another one. then this one gets there i got the right size but the worng slot. lol i was so pissed i called them and i spent like 30 mins talking to them so they can send me the right one. then when it gets here, its the right slot but the wrong size. ma mom calls them and yells at them so bad that we got the right chip i wanted for free. true story lol

My first PC build I forgot to place the risers on the case before mounting the mother board on the rest when fine, except it blew the board dont know if it blew the chip though was my face red and I dont think my mate was too impressed.Also when doin none essesintal maintence on one PC I left it running opened the side up looked into it and my beard got caught in the graphics card fan, on tug it hurt like hell and it killed the fan lolEatting whilst attching bits and pieces is not an idea pizza hardens up quick

I have to admit... I have been working on computers for WHILE, and I have never had something stupid happenmaybe I'm just lucky.Since i just said this.. i guess ill prolly be back here posting again in a few days because I just screwed my chances of keeping this record by saying that.