xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

How To Study Knowledge And Remember It Long Term

Ok so many of us study on and on for hours especially at the last minute to try and remember things for the test. Most of the time this doesn't work and we don't remember half of what we studied. Well in history class we were talking about study tools and what not and he brought up something I've never known and would like to share. So basically our brains are computers, they have a short term and long term memory. When we study, we put the knowledge in our short term memory and for most people after 15 minutes or so our short term is full. Well in order to get that information to long term what do you have to do? Well the answer is something that a lot of people like...SLEEP. If you sleep for about 20 minutes or so after you study it works your brain to put what you just read into long term memory. It is like defragging the computer. It takes all the little bit of knowledge you just learned and puts it all together in the brain. If you do this everyday you can lengthen the time of studying to like 45 minutes or more and then sleep I guess that amount of time atleast to get it in your head. Of course you can only do this for one subject at a time but if you think about it, you study one subject a day or maybe two depending on when the tests are you should be ready for the test. I don't really know if it works but I'm going to try it.

Yeah good theory i like it but im affraid my studying days are well and truly over, sort of anyway, i mean i always want to learn so who knows. Thanks for sharing this ill let you know how i get on if i ever need to study for anything.

lol.. good theory.. but then... training yourself to just sleep for 20 minutes at a time is even tougher.. lol. For some people like myself take around an hour or 2 to fall asleep when i don't want to sleep.This might be a good way to study if you don't have any deadline, but if you're studying for a test two days away from now, that would be a little bit impossible. lolThere are things that might help you learn quicker like try to study in a quiet enivorment because when there is sound around while you're studying, your brain has to process the sound also. So to maximaize your learning ability, it's better to turn off any kind of music.There are also "focus factor" pills that you can buy to enhance your foucing ablity. It works very well and fast.Also, there are books that teach you how to remember things easier. It might have worked for some people, but not myself. The books are meant for a more visual learners.

We were told to do the same sort of thing for our GCSEs we've just done. Study for about half an hour and then do a complete no-brainer (like watch TV) or sleep for about quarter of an hour, so the information sinks in and you remember it. The alternative was to study maybe 3 or 4 subjects, 1 topic in each, for about 40 mins each, then the next day study the same things for 20 mins, then 10 mins the next day and 5 the next, which tells your brain it's something useful to remember, as you're using it so much, so it is stored in your 'long term' memory.

I hav heard that theory before but when i tried it out it never helped me the slightist bit! The only way that helped me to study was listening to music! The music that helped the most was motzart and bethoven! I also tried some newer music but that never helped! I think that the old music stimulates your brain!! :)

Ya I do believe that the music must work pretty well as well. I use it to work, not study, but it really helps me get through a worksheet or a project faster. I really don't think though that there really is that much time in the day for me to study and sleep or whatever for that period of time. You can use an alarm to wake up but that still would be sort of tough.