xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Internet Connection Problems

This problem never occured to me until just recently. Now this is the third time that this is happening in less than a week. Basically what happens is that the internet connection gradually starts to slow down over a period of 10 mins or so and eventually it becomes extremely slow, to the point that it becomes almost useless. At that point, a message pops up at the bottom of the screen saying "Network Connection Unplugged", eventhough everything is plugged up just fine according to my inspection. Than after 10-20 seconds, that message disappears and the internet pops back up to my normal speed. Than eventually the same "gradual slow down" thing starts to happen again, as in a regulated cycle. Than after a while this cycle stops and internet connection becomes normal for a long period of time. I have no clue what the reason for all of this is, though I do think it might be worth mentioning that my bro, whose computer is also hooked on to the network (the main connection cable is hooked up to my computer btw, and the other two comps get it through a wireless router connected to my comp naturally) recently bought a 250 gb harddrive and because of that, downloads a lot of stuff of the internet. Might this have anything to do with the problem at hand?

Although I may have been in a similar situation (Although not as exact as that), I'm thinking it might be something to do with your network connection, but then again, it was a change in the settings (IPs) for me that made it work fully without the (dc & rc) probs.

The downloads could be one problem i think. Also what speed connection do you have. If i read it right there are 3 computer on a wireless network then that could also be another problem. Tell me more about you system set up and i might be able to help a bit more.

This may help depending on your type of internet. Try reseting the router. Try reapairing you internet connection. If you have wireless try switching to pluging it in. Or this could be because you router is to old. And your computer is going to fast for it. Try geting a new one.(Not recommended) Or you could try to get proffesional help.(Probably will cost)

Have you done any troubleshooting? Try Removing the WiFi Broadcaster or whatever you use to distribute the connection the the rest of the network.. See if you still get the slowdown. Or try connecting directly to one of the other machines in your home. again, check for slowdown. Do you have more than one Network card installed on your machine. (Windows Cannot Handle 2 nics)Powercycle the broadband router. (unplug it from the wall and wait about a 60 seconds, plug it back in.) Watch the lights as it boots up (WAN; LAN; etc..) do they all light up. Check Router manual or the web to find the normal led ilumination.If you are on a windows machine you probably have a torrent of viruses. (Format and Reinstall Windopes)If all these steps fail GET A MAC and never again worry about the core components of your OS going out to lunch.Good Luck

since Monday i have beem having a similar problem. Its happened to me onece before. I waited it out for a few days and it went back to normal. I just hope it will be the same this time. But i would really like to know what is causing it.