xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Amd Or Intel?

Another question...

I have been trying to choose between an AMD (left one) processor or an Intel (right one). I have been customizing both of them to find the lowest price.

If I choose an Intel, I will have the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 Video Card.

If I choose an AMD, I will have the 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory Video Card.

What will the difference be if I choose the AMD over the Intel? Is this a good idea or not? I have never had an AMD computer so I am not sure. Basically, will it effect me if I choose the AMD, I'm not doing any kind of heavy-duty work on this laptop, the most I will be doing is playing games and working on Photoshop and Microsoft Office, that kind of stuff. Will the 128mb Video Card make my gaming experience suffer, or should I get the 256mb with the Intel PC?

You probably won't notice any difference between an AMD and Intel PC for general use (especially if they're of comparable specs). The thing is, the Intel Laptop has a Dual-Core CPU and has a faster memory speed. It is a lot better to have Dual-Core, especially for Photoshop work. Intel is proven to be better for PS. Gaming wise, the GeForce Go 7600 is a decent mobile card, whereas I dont believe the Radeon Xpress is.For your purpose, most likely you will be served better by the Intel.

Alright thanks guys,

I read your responses and did a little research myself and decided that multitasking is important, but in a laptop especially since my old one overheated so much, cooling is the key. I am going to stick with the Intel one, and I have it customized on hp.com for $1488.94 right now.

HP Pavilion dv8000t customizable Notebook PC

So after all of the rebates and stuff, I end up getting a free printer, a case that I need, and all this other *BLEEP* for only $1488.94 (plus tax).

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

See In my opinion I wouldn't be playing hardcore graphic intensive games on a Laptop in the first place because in order to get really good quality (Like Desktop Quality) you have to shell out a lot of money. If I had to pick between those two I would go with the Intel not because the processor but because the Motherboard on the Intel computer supports DDR2 RAM. Yes it may be 533 as oposed to 333MHZ but even if both sets of RAM were the same speed the DDR2 would beat out the DDR because it's designed a lot better.And as for the video cards that Geforce is nice because it's a 7000 series Geforce which would beat out any 6000 series almost but it only has 128MB of dedicated video RAM, the rest is shared with the system so there will be time when you DON'T get to use ANY of that extra 128MB.

I am currently using Intel. I think they are best if you don't use 64bit applications. AMD is only better once you get to 64 bit operating systems and applications. Intel is supposed to be "more compatible" with programs because the architecture of the AMD chips are slightly different than that of the intel chips. Though, most of the time, it's poor software design that causes incompatibility issues.. never the less, it is slightly better with intel chips.