xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CarlU

Is There Much Demand For Web Designers/developers?

Hey,I am hoping to go for a diploma in web development at the Canberra Institute of Technology (Aus), however I'm not 100% sure of the demand for a Web Developer, any help?

I have no idea actually but here's what I can tell you: why not get a degree in Computer Science instead? That way you'll have more options in case the demand for web developers decline. Computer Science is a broader field as compared to Web Develop"ering" and you also have programming and much more.

Thanks, everything you said was right, a degree in Computer Science is the best option however, I don't think I'm qualified to enter a University, I do know that they do grant entry to students with a diploma so perhaps I could use a diploma in web development as a stepping stone to a degree in Computer Science?right now I'm just tossing up a few ideas.

Well in my country,Alot of people are like... oo I wana make a site for my bussiness but ooo I dont know what to do and things like that.I recon there is a huge demand, people need to find out that there is web developers out there.... there isnt at the moment.... well not much, i wood say go for it!

I don't know how things work in your country. But in here, as long as you're a high school graduate you can enter any university of your choice assuming you pass their entrance exam.

Yeah you could use that as a stepping stone but in my opinion you'd do a lot of memorizing -- specifically accepting a lot of facts.

In studying Java Script for instance, I don't think, in a diploma course, they would explain concepts as Object-Oriented programming or inheritance and polymorphism. They'd teach you how to create and manipulate objects but not how the whole thing works.

They'd teach you how to setup a network but the "science" behind it.

Get the picture?

They'd teach you how to setup a network but the "science" behind it.

I meant not the science behind it.

well what jeune said is completely right too.. But the fact is web designers are in great demand.For an instance say a new company comes into existance..Now they would want people to know about them. The best way would be by creating a web site and printing the name of their business cards. In modern technological each and every institute needs their website so that people can contact them easily. This can surely prove that web designers are in demand. And to tell you for 1 project you get a lot of money dear..

well what jeune said is completely right too.. But the fact is web designers are in great demand.For an instance say a new company comes into existance..Now they would want people to know about them. The best way would be by creating a web site and printing the name of their business cards. In modern technological each and every institute needs their website so that people can contact them easily. This can surely prove that web designers are in demand.
And to tell you for 1 project you get a lot of money dear..

i would have to agree with this, i spent about 2 days working on a website for an uncle for his insurance company, and he paid me about 450$ (US) and that was when i wasnt any good with anything lol...

learn html, css, and php, you could really pull in the cash with just those three... :)

Id say theres a reasonable demand but i think the problem is, how do you get known? With computer science you could be a technician at a school or something and just go to them and say "hey you guys want a technician?" and keep going untill someone says yes but as a webdesigner you cant. I think if you can get yourself known then you can earn a stable living providing you can get seen above the rest, i think tis a good area to go into as there arent many professional webdesigners around in comparison to other techy jobs.

Im sure there is a demand and it is going to keep growing. Supermarkets have gone to selling their stuff online and nearly every business ill need a business to keep up with the play.

There is a huge demand for web developers. I currently go to the university of delaware for a degree in computer science and recently a local bar / restaurant asked me to do there website. Now just from doing one, i have 3 - 5 other offers on the table if i have time to do them and so forth.

There are lots of people using computers and the internet, but not very many that actually seem to.. know what they're doing XDI get lots of people asking me to make them websites, troubleshoot things, or even make them a layout for MySpace.. I don't charge them, since they're my friends, but I imagine quite a few people would pay for services like this ^^

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add my two cents'. There's a huge demand for web developers, both designers and programmers. I make over 500 US dollars per day doing it, day in day out. I didn't study it formally; I just played around with my girlfriend's computer, got hooked into learning to write computer programs and after about a year got a job doing it.Mind you now I've been doing it for 13 years and am sick to the back teeth of the insides of offices. So I'm trying to start my own business (https://www.caveofprogramming.com/ is my new site - shameless plug!).If I was starting all over again, I'd be much more 'pro-active' from the start in setting up my own website and attempting to get pieces of business here and there rather than massive contracts or normal jobs. You'd get much more freedom that way. I once worked from a flat in Tuscany, Italy, which was great!!! Now I'm going to Budapest to try to make a living online from there. At the moment dealing with customers directly is pretty much a sealed book to me -- you get institutionalized in offices!Anyway before I start rambling ... basically just try to make websites or learn programming, whichever floats your boat, and keep trying to do it till you get good. Then either set up your own site and try to get customers via SEO, adverts etc, or else go to a job board like jobserve.com and apply for jobs like crazy on there. Eventually someone will hire you if you're any good at all. There are a lot of people in this business who are rubbish and they still get work. Demand is ferocious and scarcely dampened (yet!) by the economic crisis.