xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nhockhi

7-zip - A File Archiver With High Compression Ratio. (like Winrar & Winzip But Free)

7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL.

The main features of 7-Zip:

* High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression * 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL
* Supported formats:
o Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
o Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
* For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
* Self-extracting capability for 7z format
* Integration with Windows Shell
* Powerful File Manager
* Powerful command line version
* Plugin for FAR Manager
* Localizations for 63 language

7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP. There is port of command line version for Linux/Unix.

7-Zip is a free software distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License.

On 7-Zip's Source Forge Page you can find forum, bugs report and feature request systems.

Download here

Notice from mayank:
Copied the content from here : http://www.7-zip.org/
Warning issued.

Thanks for the application, I've been looking for an app which could open RAR files for ages and I'm probably the only person left on the planet who doesn't have it Thanks! :)

Yes, it is indeed a good freeware application.It supports all the possible compression formats. Yes, having rar in that belt is also good, because we actually needed a free software for that.However, the interface of the program is not at all good. It is so dull and can be difficult to use in starting. Winrar has a better interface than this.

Yea it looked good but I downloaded it for Mac and it was real buggy. It froze every time i tried to compress it, and another problem that the compressed files were not reconized by any application, including itself. Though I like to stuffit but if 7 zip was more stable i'd problbay be using it now! :)

Edited by Gem (see edit history)

I like this piece of software too. It is a freeware, but it is not under GPL, so I am still not too sure whether this is a software in the beta phase, and the author is intending to commercialize it in the future, or will be a piece of software that remains free for quite a long time. 7 zip is really better then WinRar, as far as compression rate is concerned. WinRAR is in turn better then Winzip. So 7 zip, i think, is one of the best of archivers. But its compression speed is a bit slow and the graphic user interface is still not very good. 7 zip and WinRAR both use LZH algorithm and so the difference in performance is actually not that great. Winrar now supports decompression of 7zip files. I will stick to Winrar cause it is more stable and more popular.

I ever use 7zip. but its dissapointing me, 'coz any some file that cannot be extracted troughly by this software. its much better use winrar and winzip.

That sounds pretty cool but WinRar I can still use even though the trial is over. It tells me to remove it from my computer or buy it but then I close that content box and it still works. I downloaded the trial and I haven't hacked it or anything it still seems to work fine so that's what I use until I need something else. I need something though that will unpack .UAG files into their separate .WAV files because Dragon Unpacker doesn't cut it for the files I'm trying to extract.

From my experience with this app I have found it to be one of the best archive utilities out there (certainly better than WinRar) in that it is fully featured and can be used to archive/extract a wide range of filetypes using either a command line or the included file manager, as well as being free. I would recommend this, although WinRar is good too and can certainly fulfill all of the requirments of a good archiving program. although having said that for zip archives I tend to use the built in Windows XP archiver (simply due to the fact that it is slightly quicker). a problem I have with 7zip is that it does not open the extracted folder once extract has comppleted (unless I didn't see an option somewhere) but despite this the program still offers many features that make it good for the job.

I don't like it that much. I still prefer Winrar over 7-zip. The only exception being that I use 7-zip to uncompress and extract 7z. files.7-zip tends to lag my computer and it uncompresses things slower than Winrar does for me.

I prefer ZipGenius over 7-Zip, WinZip and WinRAR.
ZipGenius is better than WinZip and WinRAR because it is a combination of the both programs and it is freeware, not shareware for 45 or 30 days (even though the program is accessible after that).
ZipGenius' interface is clean and simple, newbie friendly and easy to use.
7-Zip has a dull interface and very confusing to start out. I uninstalled it after a few hours.

ZipGenius can be found on SnapFiles, Download.com and at its website.

Give it a try and maybe you'll like it. :)

thnx for the information and i hope winrar is the best cause i use winrar which is the most userfriendly according to me i dunno abt u allbut then also hope my experience is not wrong but if then please inform me...........thank u