xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tailson

Simcity 4 ...Online?

I had an idea. how about SimCity 4 goes online?Ok, you pick a region to join, and you start to build up your city, as usual, but when you connect to the next city, things become more interesting. You have to formulate trade routes. You neighbour may have high tech industry, thus demanding electronic parts. And he/she can either pay you back through cash or other goods. These trade routes influence city growth.Now, if you own the Rush Hour expansion pack, you can do frieght U-Drive It missions, where you have to drive to a destination, in a neighbouring city! When you pass your city border, you then appear in the next city. You don't know where to go, except that there is a road map at the bottom. The other player can also see you flying about all over the place.Well, it's just an idea. So, what do you think? Good, or bad?

well it looks like a great idea but i guess the idea itself sounds too expensive to be implemeted.. a small map on simcity gets resource hungry once the whole map is zoned and populated.. i dont know what kindda server / infrastructure would be required to make it live online.. the ideas sounds god though.. Cheers, Forever

Wow, bring back a 1 year old topic...Anyway this would have some serious issues. You're talking about a whole region? that would have serious latency issues, and I don't think even 2 full sized racks full of blade servers will even handle this...There is something called simcity online, where there is a region. You build a little bit and put it online, someone else comes on and builds a little more. I would like this idea. Maybe EA make a game called Simcity Online? So my modified version of the original idea.So you get experience from doing missions (like maybe bringing a city's economy back online or something) and the person with the most experience does the most important parts of the city like th infrastructure so they have complete control of every part of the region and lay down the most important infrastructural pieces (i.e. Highways, Railways pipes) but they are to be of major importance, since the smaller infrastructure is to be built by the local mayor.So maybe region with 15 cities.Highest Rank = InfrastructureHigh Rank = CBD + Nearby Neighborhoods Med-High Rank = High tech Industry, Main Industrial AreasMed Rank = Wealthy Residential + Shopping CentresMed-Low Rank = Normal Residential Areas, low tech industryLow Rank = Agricultural, Rural Infrastructure Lowest Rank = Slums, repair wo/man for fallen parts of the city.As you probably have noticed the low rank also has 'Rural infrastructure' so the highest rank won't be doing all of the city. The Highest rank only goes out to the farest reaches of the main city, not agricultural.So yeah... As you get higher rank, you can move up the ladder to do better things...

A couple of major issues with such an idea... there are heaps of custom content out there from sc4devotion.com and simtropolis.com, like the NAM, CAM, SAM, RHW, Big Dig, Euro Roads Mod and also the large amount of towers out there... if someone made a city full of custom content, someone else who is new would not be able to use it as it simply wouldnt work and they would get brown boxes and all sorts of issues!

I think that your idea would be really fun, but why are we so used to receiving costly expasions to the game. Cant the company make a really fun and complete game on the first version? What they usually add to the updates is so little that even the end players end up adding more with their own mods.

Critiquing the ideaSimcity 4

I think this idea is a good one but the amount of programming required, the size, all would make this nearly impossible. Until the programming software improves (I found out that Game Maker 8.0 is just a step behind the current game software) they are never going to make it. Don't get me wrong I would love to play Sim City Online but its not gonna come for a while.

reply by Mario