xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Moolkye

Microsoft Turns 2d Photos Into 3d

Well, for one, I think that it'll be real useful for the tourism industry. What better way than to take a whole bunch of snapshots of one area, reconstruct it in 3D to give potential tourists a walkaround of their potential vacation spot? I think it'll make for great advertising.Neat concept.

That is really cool. You know I saw something like that on a movie called "House of Cards" She took pictures of a card house and then put them on her computer and it made the house again and you were still able to see what was on the cards. It is a really neat idea you can revisit places you saw long ago and what not.

Like all technologies it has a place in our society. How large of a place depends on the depend and usefulness. I think this could be very interesting to fool around with and very profitable for the tourism and realistate industry. The only question i have about it is how detailed and exact it can make the 2d images into 3d ones.

This definitely seems to one of those things that I'm sure is cool but doesn't have a large application, sure you could use it for tourism, but what's wrong with videos (sure they lack the interaction but to be honest if you're going to visit somewhere do you care if you do or do not have an interactive 3D walk trough before hand or not). I figure like almost everything it could have a military application, all you need is some photographs (and with modern photographic equipment you don't have to be anywhere close to the target) and you could reconstruct them into a 3 dimensional representation, could offer an improved reconnaissance application. Although I doubt this application is targeted at me, so that's probably why I don't understand the need for it.

hello friends am gaggu from india punjab.am using microsoft picture it its great and very good and very fast and very cool i like it very much.its very perfect for making good photos..i advise to you too use this software too.hope u ll like my this advice....if any other info & other somthing so please pm me post here or replay me now.....Thank You.../\have a nice day to all my friends from your friend gaggu...

thats really good idea! this looks great.But i dont get that which thing is it. Is it any gadget or camera type thing,or its just software that matches the photo to give 3d look. Strange :S

I think it supposed to be like a virtual graphics web browser wrapped onto a regular browser. Kind of like looking at a photo that has the front of the building on one side and the back on the other side. then stitching those pics together to create a 2 Dimensional 3D Model of whatever the pictures are about.Example. You take a picture of the Washington monument. Someone else has taken the same picture but from the west side, and another person has a photo they took of it from one of the angle sides, etc. Then this app, finds all the pictures relating to the Washington monument and pastes them together to create the illusion of a 3d rendering of it. But it's interactive and you can click on the individual photos and go to whatever website it was originally was posted on. and it will also integrate close up shots and insides of building and whatever.

yes, that is how it works. It can find the pictures from around the web and then create a 3d enviornment of all those pictures.I am sure it will work without the web feature as well...but will need many pictures of the same location.Another live lab product, which will be incororated in photosynth is called SEA DRAGONit is a product which can drive you nuts....because it's hard to understand what is it's function...but if you look at the tour of photosynth and sea dragon..you will come to know what exactly SEA DRAGON will do!Atleast, I won't take pain to explain the software...he he

Actually that kind of software is EXTREMELY useful to Archaeologists and Historians. Think of it, you take a picture from a few hundred years ago and turn into a full Three Dimensional figure, you know how that coupld play for reconstruction or just for factual truth?Yeah I personally don't see much of a use outside of that industry but it does and will have a very good use later on in the future.

Industry is the primary reason most discoveries and advancements are made. Commercial use is most often an afterthought and secondary use of then-outdated technology.

I think it would be useful for inventors/innovators showing products to manufactorers, retailers, distributers etc. In my opinion it would be useful for many applications.

They do. If they didn't, most inventors wouldn't be able to afford the funding that their creation would need. I'm just saying that most research is based around private use, I didn't say anything about inventions themselves, although that may partially be the case as well.