xisto Community
Chatz

Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone cell/mobile phone as a modem

Want to know, how to browse internet on a MacBook through a GPRS enabled BSNL (Cell One) connection. Please help and try n reply to my email id. Thankx friends.-Samson

<b>bsnl gprs configurations for dual sim cards mobile phones</b><br>Hi,I am having dual sim cards mobile phone from korea. Can anybody tell me the gprs configurations for the above mobile phone. My network is BSNL Cellone.<br><br>-A.Balasubramaniam

I use my mobile phone as a modem with 3G network and connect it to my laptop, I have a nokia N73 and its work fine, sometimes I even forget that its a dial-up because the speed is not that bad at all, I guess its depending on your location...-reply by boris

Hey here everything is fine and this did not hold Good for me , i am using a korean mobile phone the phone model is Desay L608 , here in this mobile phone it is Gprs enabled , i subscribed GPRS with my service provider and i tried connecting it with on my mobile , and it worked succesfully ,next i connected it with the computer, when i plugged into my computer the mobile phone it said that MT6227 Driver required and i downloaded it and the i installed my phone as modem , now i went to the dial up network and i established a connection and then i gave the required dial number and i tried to Dial.It came like Verifying user name and password then Registring computer to Network and then i had an Error.Error 734 PPP link error then i tried following the instruction given in more info then still i had that error , can anyone help me. ?

Browse in laptop using mobile phone

Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

Hi, this is baseer I want to browse in my laptop using mobile phone but it gives a error message 628, I'm using Airtel mobile GPRS is activated in my mobile and I can browse in my mobile what is the dial up number iam using *99***1## or *99***2## help me to sort out

-reply by Baseer Ahmed

Motorola E8 Rokr - as a modem

Alright Guys... I need some advice on this.. Please feel free to contact me. I am in the USA ofcourse. I have a current account with T-Mobile on a family plan of 700 mins. At the end of the month I am left over with tons of minutes being that I basically use my phone for text messaging. I hardly use it for calling and when I do, I basically call a bunch of Tmobile customers so my calls are automatically free between mobile to mobile.

So now the interesting part is... A Tmobile user said that Tmobile had internet service and you could use you phone as a modem with a data plan with the provider (as an addon). But I already have Broadband super fast internet at home, why pay alot more for wireless addon for more of the cost than DSL or Cable as an extra.

My MotoRokr being a modem, with that being said. I searched the internet for answers since I couldn't get a clearer answer than that. I did some research, and found that I could use my phone as a modem, but I would need three basic things, 1. USB DATA Cable, which is what I use to put music on my phone, pictures, videos and so forth, plus to charge it. 2. I had to download two files. RSDLite 3.1 or higher but try to avoid 4.1!! install it, and 3. Handset USB Driver and install it.

Make sure your phone is charged. In your phone go to Settings, Connections, USB Cable settings (change to MODEM). Plain and simple! Meaning, the USB cable will be used to connect to my cell/modem, instead as a charger or transfer cable.

Now having youself dial up service... Earthlink, AOL, Local dial up ISP's. Go in there and change modem settings to the CELLPHONE as a modem. Put in your ISP username and pw and telephone number you usually dial to go online.

In your computer.. You can just open your IE Browser, go into tools, internet options then chose Connections, make sure you have your cell as a modem listed in there. Once its set.. Your are ready to go online...

To go online using your cell, go thru Start, Connect to, chose the provider you use (that you edited using your cell/modem settings). And your done.

Now my only question is... And Tmobile couldnt give me a straight answer is... Me using my PHONE as a modem to connect to a LOCAL ISP number (dialup) is it only gonna charge me the MINUTES I'm using thru my cell phone to call that local number? or will it charge me for KB's downloaded?

And since I have free nights and weekneds, will it be free to use my phone as a modem during that time? Tmobile wanted me to get the InternetData add on plan for like $20 or $30.00 more as a Contract of so long!

I hooked up to Earthlink earlier using my Moto Rokr cell, my connection said it was at 961.6 kbps. Thats nearly 1mb per second? I went into chat, I was web browsing, course it wasnt as fast as DSL, but it beat my speed of dial up from a house phone line!

So Basically, my question is... Using my cell phone as a modem to go online, thru my DIAL UP INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, will it charge me other than just the minutes I am online? or will it charge me for the DATA download, even tho I'm not using Tmobile wireless internet?

And Second question is.. During my free nights and weekend minutes, will it be free? I guess, I'll ill just have to check it out myself to see. I'll have to try a prepaid Tmobile now that they have Pay by the Day, 1.00 a day, plus 10 cents a minute for calls out of the Tmobile network, and free NIGHTS starting at 7pm to 7am. Ill try and let yall know.. Contact me if you wanna discuss this with me.

-reply by tabby

Motorola E8 Rokr - as a modem

Alright Guys... I need some advice on this.. Please feel free to contact me. I am in the USA ofcourse. I have a current account with T-Mobile on a family plan of 700 mins. At the end of the month I am left over with tons of minutes being that I basically use my phone for text messaging. I hardly use it for calling and when I do, I basically call a bunch of Tmobile customers so my calls are automatically free between mobile to mobile.

So now the interesting part is... A Tmobile user said that Tmobile had internet service and you could use you phone as a modem with a data plan with the provider (as an addon). But I already have Broadband super fast internet at home, why pay alot more for wireless addon for more of the cost than DSL or Cable as an extra.

My MotoRokr being a modem, with that being said. I searched the internet for answers since I couldn't get a clearer answer than that. I did some research, and found that I could use my phone as a modem, but I would need three basic things, 1. USB DATA Cable, which is what I use to put music on my phone, pictures, videos and so forth, plus to charge it. 2. I had to download two files. RSDLite 3.1 or higher but try to avoid 4.1!! install it, and 3. Handset USB Driver and install it.

Make sure your phone is charged. In your phone go to Settings, Connections, USB Cable settings (change to MODEM). Plain and simple! Meaning, the USB cable will be used to connect to my cell/modem, instead as a charger or transfer cable.

Now having youself dial up service... Earthlink, AOL, Local dial up ISP's. Go in there and change modem settings to the CELLPHONE as a modem. Put in your ISP username and pw and telephone number you usually dial to go online.

In your computer.. You can just open your IE Browser, go into tools, internet options then chose Connections, make sure you have your cell as a modem listed in there. Once its set.. Your are ready to go online...

To go online using your cell, go thru Start, Connect to, chose the provider you use (that you edited using your cell/modem settings). And your done.

Now my only question is... And Tmobile couldnt give me a straight answer is... Me using my PHONE as a modem to connect to a LOCAL ISP number (dialup) is it only gonna charge me the MINUTES I'm using thru my cell phone to call that local number? or will it charge me for KB's downloaded?

And since I have free nights and weekneds, will it be free to use my phone as a modem during that time? Tmobile wanted me to get the InternetData add on plan for like $20 or $30.00 more as a Contract of so long!

I hooked up to Earthlink earlier using my Moto Rokr cell, my connection said it was at 961.6 kbps. Thats nearly 1mb per second? I went into chat, I was web browsing, course it wasnt as fast as DSL, but it beat my speed of dial up from a house phone line!

So Basically, my question is... Using my cell phone as a modem to go online, thru my DIAL UP INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, will it charge me other than just the minutes I am online? or will it charge me for the DATA download, even tho I'm not using Tmobile wireless internet?

And Second question is.. During my free nights and weekend minutes, will it be free? I guess, I'll ill just have to check it out myself to see. I'll have to try a prepaid Tmobile now that they have Pay by the Day, 1.00 a day, plus 10 cents a minute for calls out of the Tmobile network, and free NIGHTS starting at 7pm to 7am. Ill try and let yall know.. Contact me if you wanna discuss this with me.

-reply by tabby

If you are calling an outside number with your phone - basically using your phone as a modem to dial a number and then connect to internet, you will be charged for the call to the number. The call charges would depend upon the plan you are using. It can be a local call/ inter-state call depending upon the location of the server you've called. Basically a modem dial-up is what you are using. Difference is that you are using a mobile phone instead of dial-up phone.

There is another option. If you use a GPRS/EDGE from your phone to surf the internet. The speed would be slow but then you won't be charged for the call. Because now the traffic is not routed through the Normal call channel. Its using the GPRS path for internet.

Anyways, In your case I guess you will be charged depending upon the plan you are using.

your Local ISP charges would be additional IFF it charges you. I guess you must be already having an account thats why you were able to log in :lol:

I couldn't understand one thing. You said its giving you a speed of ~950 kbps .. I dont think its possible .. bcoz wireless Modems have a limitation of I guess 115 kbps .. Kindly correct me if I am wrong .

btw. . If you are getting that much speed .. NJoy ^_^

remote dial up to home computer using laptop and cell phoneConnect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

OK I have a cell phone that I can connect to my laptop and use as a modem.

I do not have a data plan, but I do have lots of free minutes.

Next I have a desktop computer(always running) sitting in my home that has a dial up modem that's pluged into my telephone line(Fios Telephone) set up for sending and receiving faxes, and desktop also is connected to router with High speed Internet(Fios) internet access.

So now if I dial my home telephone number (xxx) xxx-xxxx from the laptop using the cell as a modem (free call) how do I get my home computer to answer call and connewhat do I need to do to connect to my desktop dial up modem, to use the desktops internet access.

Yea I am cheap I do not want to pay tmobile for thier data plan when I have unused minutes and I am already paying for high speed internet and telephone thats just sitting there not being used.

All I want is to check email and get on to a few web sites.

I am guessing I need some kind of software that allows the laptop to communicate with the desktop.

I know I can set up the desktop is it is a proxy server.

I can set cell phone to bluetooth to laptop use as a modem

I just need to figuire out how to get the two to shake hands and talk to each other.

I was able to use laptop and tmobile phone to connect to internet once I guess they had data port open but after second use they shut me off while connected so no more free data access on phone.

Dennis Ratcliffe

before buying anymobile check that whether the mobile has an inbulit modem to do this ,once i was into this problem, the mobile had a gprs/wap but it didnt have a inbuilt modem so i could not use that mobile as a modem and connect internet to my pc.

using a cell phone as modem with usb connection on routerConnect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

I'm useing my cell phone as my modem on my pc but would like to add a router so that my son can use his laptop,is there a router out there with a USB connection that I can plug my cable from my cell phone which has a USB connection that goes to my pc

Dude munimk first you have got the wrong impression that the cell phone gives 115 kbps speed.What you are stating is the max speed the phone modem can handle.That 115 kbps speed shown in the task bar at the lower right hand corner of your computer/laptop screen shows the maximum speed the phone modem can handle.It like local area connection showing 100 mbps speed but the actual case is not that(in case of dial up connection or broadband connection).Actual speed is very low.If it is a simple series 60 phone like nokia 6600 it will give speed of 4.0-5.3 kbps.If it is a series 60 3rd edition phone like nokia n73 (E-GPRS or EDGE) it will give the speed of 15.0-18.5 kbps.If it is E series(also E-GPRS or EDGE enabled) nokia phone then it will give 33-40 kbps.

Internet access via mobile phoneConnect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

I wanted to use this technique on my Acer netbook as an option for when wifi is not available; not for the main internet connection.

My Motorola Z9 can be used as a modem and I have a data cable for it.  I purchased an unlimited data plan from AT&T and have a program called Motorola Phone Tools which allows you to transfer contacts, pictures, etc. To and phone the phone from your pc.  MPT allow has a communication option for SMS, MMS and Internet.  I signed up for the free version of NetZero dial-up networking (10 free hours per month) which should be enough for "emergency" access to email.  Set up through MPT is fairly simple by running through a short set-up wizard.  The dial-up phone number was automatically set and in about 5 minutes I was able to access the internet using Firefox.  On additional, nice feature of Motorola Phone Tools is the ability to see how much time you were connected.  This is a plus since NetZero (free version) does not provide how much time you have used towards your free 10 hours per month. 

Now I haven't tried this yet, but I would assume you could create several NetZero accounts, with different usernames and passwords, and have 10 free hours of access per account.  Then, just set up the corresponding (separate) connections within MPT and when one connection is gettting close to the free alotted hours, connect under a different account to obtain maximum free # of hours.

-reply by mgmm1

How do I use a chinese phone as a modem for pc browsing?Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

I have an X750, china phone with MTN wap enabled how on earth can I use it as moderm for my laptop computer, and how can I also browse free of charge with the phone. Thanks

-question by Oni Olalekan