xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jtxdriggers

Firefox + Gmail = :) Use Gmail as an FTP-type server in Firefox

This extension allows you to use your Gmail Space (2 GB) for file storage. It acts as a remote machine. You can transfer files between your hard drive and gmail. This is similar to "Gmail Drive" on windows platform. Your gmail account looks like a FTP host and you can upload and download your files. After you install, you get an option called "GSpace" in your "tools" menu clicking on which opens the window for transfer of files/folders

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This extension for Firefox is simply amazing to use as a small online hard drive for backing up important things. You can upload anything and store it all on more than 2 gigs of free space! I use it for programs I've worked long and hard on. Along with other files, like music, videos, flash files. It's incredible!

That sounds pretty cool. I would like to try it although I don't really use Gmail because I don't have a need for it. My current email provider is more user friendly for my needs and I don't really need 2 GB of space but I guess if I ever need to start mass email that would work. I thnk it's nice to have though just in case.

You know, you could just manually do what the extention does: email an attachment to yourself.

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

Yea, but it's much easier to have the FTP-type interface :-\

This extension was an old extention, and i used it, but after uploading any file to Gmail Drive, all files you uploaded to Gmail drive will look like an atachment of Email, If you upload 3 file on it, than it will show 3 different emails with attachments.

Do you know that this extension is buggy and doesn't work in all environments.Moreover, if you upload files from your PC and then try to access those files using same pluging on other computer, it might not dsplay all the files properly. You can see the list of bugs on the linked page or homepage of this extension.

Oh. Well I'm impressed simply because I didn't have to pay for an external hdd when I formatted my current hdd. I don't have much that I absolutely needed, so the 2 gigs on Gmail was enough to store it. And I got the files back just as I uploaded them after I formatted.

Very usefull, thanks, but i already knew it, and personaly, i still prefer gmail drive shell extension, i don't usually use firefox that often.I prefer to use gmail drive shell extension instead of this extension because when you open "My Computer" window, you just have to double click to get inside your gmail account to upload or download files, in any computer.With this extension, first you need to install firefox, then open firefox which takes a lot of time, depending on your cpu processing speed and how much ram you have, so if you have an old pc, it is not the best choice for you, instead, use the gmail drive shell extension.So you can "see" the reasons why i prefer one and not the other, anyway, i have it installed to use it when i test my websites with different browsers.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)