xisto Community
BooZker

Best Way To Back Up DVDs, CDs, Uploading, ect

Well i should make backups since i have a lot of info i need. First off i have 5 websites (only 3 online) that i should backup. I also have TONS of movies i made for my website ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) and ones i have downloaded. I want to know how i should go about this. Should i burn to DVD or CDs? Should i upload to the net like filefront. Or some other way. I have at least 100 GBs of stuff. The reason is i have my movies i make so it takes a lot of space. How can i back up that much stuff fast?

Use a partition on ur computer. Programs like partition magic will create stuff like that for you. Then all you need to do is drag and drop all the files into the new partition and it done. However this method wont save ur stuff if ur hard drive stops working.

With that much stuff to backup you're gonna get though a lot of DVDs each time. I'd advise an external HDD, which you can pick up relatively cheaply now. Get one larger than the current capacity you need so you've got room for new stuff in the future. Alternatively if you've got a home network you could get a network attached storage device (NAS). These normally come with software to automatically generate, save and organize backups. You can also often expand them with new HDDs like a PC.

I definately agree with rvalkass. Partitions aren't always reliable. If something happens to your hard drive and you have to completely format it, then the seperate partitions will also be formatted. And DVDs; you might as well try putting your hard drive in a cloning machine. That'd take forever, not to mention the amount of space. Plus the cost might add up if you really have as much as you say you do. An external hard drive is the way to go. Just plug it in, select all your files on your current hdd except the windows folder, and right click copy. Then go and paste, and go build a few models. It'll take some time, but if something ever happens to that hard drive, you'll be thankful you backed it all up.EDIT: And uploading would take beyond forever. Plus there are the possibilities of servers going down, your ISP going out for repairs, or something stupid.

Edited by jtxdriggers (see edit history)

Yes, I think external hard drives are wonderful things. I have an 80 gigs one here, and since I don't have all the video files, it's more than enough for me. Plus, the prices really have gone down now too, so if I were to ever need another, I'm be out buying one in a second. I think it's probably what would work best for you as well. You can do a little research into them first if you want, instead of just going out and buying one. Before I got mine, I looked around in a bunch of internet sites to see if any stores had any on sale, and I found some in my area that were, so I got a nice external hard drive, that was cheaper than it normally would be.

But you have to remember, price is NOT the only factor. Reliability, as much as durability, are also key factors. Don't go out and buy the biggest and cheapest hard drive you can find at Wal Mart. Do a little research and read some reviews. Get a nice hard drive that is made by a well-known and trusted company with a lot of capacity. Also look into speeds and such. They do matter, believe it or not.

Ok thanks. Yah i think i'll get that. They aren't that expensive either. There is lots of rebates now also. Yah uploading i knew wasn't a good idea i was just throwing it out there. I think i am going to get a laptop also so that could help. I like Pauls 230 GB HDD. I'll probably get that.

bACKUP

Best Way To Back Up

I'M GOING TO Install windows XP again and I need to back up all my documents where should I back them up. I think I need to buy an external hard disk?.