xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasperIk

People Who Steal From You

This may not seem major, but it really put me in an extremely bad mood.

On another message board I am in a RPG. Well I created a second character, and as i was waiting for my other character [i had two already, so in order to get another one, i had to remove one of them, so i had to RP my other one leaving, but i had to wait for other people to post and stuff] to be accepted, i decided to make a graphic for her, for the character developement thread. For it i chose the song "B!tch" , because it fit my character so well. Well i showed the graphic to some people, and i was telling them that the song was perfect for her. So, then a thread is opened up to put down a song for your character, and i still couldn't post the song because my character's account wasn't created yet. So this girl chooses the song for her character, and i litterly beg her to choose a different song, because i already created a graphic, like atleast a week ago with the song on it. And she tells me its unfair, and that she probably wont change it, and that i should just choose a different song. I mean, am i being unreasonable here? Granted YES, she put the song down in the official thread first, but i would have if my account had been made I would have done that. [she put the song down, today]. So if she doesn't change it, i have to make a whole new graphic, and find a completley different song. And there are like 5 people, and one person especially that knows that i had that song long before she did. And, i can't say for sure, but I THINK i even sent the graphic to her, showing her...but i cant really remember, so i can't say that unless i know for sure. If i hadn't of made the graphic, the fact that she took the song, wouldn't be bad because then there would be really no proof, in me actually choosing the song, but i did, and so for her not to change it, i think is just in general messed up.

EDIT: She did, now give me the song... but it still pissed me off.

Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

Hmm...That must be a bit of a B!tch (Excuse the pun) :)But that's pretty annoying, to say you made a graphic aswell... Could you not tell a mod/admin on her? :PAnyways, she changed it thankfully...Hope it doesn't happen again :D

RPG sites are sometimes like that I guess..... I'm at a few HP ones but people still do that. Characters for avs and sigs and the such. At least she gave it back...

RPG sites are sometimes like that I guess..... I'm at a few HP ones but people still do that. Characters for avs and sigs and the such. At least she gave it back...

I think she only gave it back, because she realized i infact DID have it long before her. Plus a moderater had proof that i did have it before. So she probably got scared.

People will always steal ideas from one-another, no matter what. That's how everything, from games to books in one shape, form, or another share ideas. More severe cases of plagarism do tend to get annoying, yeah, and it's downright theft. Slight here and there with themes CAN be okay or satirical, but as I said earlier-- outright plagarism blows. There's no way around it, but the line between being outright or hinted can be blurred from time to time ( leading to arguments ), so I tend to avoid matters like that and just call it "plagarific".

Steal is probably not the correct word here. Once you put something on the net then unless you have registered some intellectual property then it is going to be fair game. Plagiarism is probably a more appropriate word - where a person takes quotes, ideas, passages or designs from another person without proper acknowledgement of the source and sometimes in an effort to pretend that they are the author.This is something that, as a teacher/lecturer, I see more of nowadays with sources like wiki and similar. It is something I have no mercy on. If a student copies a couple of paragraphs and doesn't cite it properly then that is a fail, no arguments or questions. That is the general rule in academia - plagiarism is really serious - it can cost you your career. A chap called Raj Persaud used to present a program on radio 4 called 'all in the mind' about psychiatry. He wrote a book and 'forgot' to acknowledge several passages copied from other sources. That was the end of his radio program and he was hauled-up before the General Medical Council and found guilty of dishonesty and bringing the profession into disrepute. He had asked the original author for permission to use the quotes - he just didn't acknowledge them. That is how serious it is treated in the academic and professional spheres.This is unlikely to impress the young lady in this case and there is little you can do except to console yourself that if she is a person who does this sort of thing routinely then sooner or later it will come home to bite her on the backside.