xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bounda

Life After Death? What do you think?

Is there life after death?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I was much younger I used to be religious and believe to believe in all of the 'be good and you'll go to heaven, if you sin you'll be sent to hell' stuffs. But when I got older I started questioning, because I wondered if it'll be really glorious to end up in heaven. Wouldn't it be boring (as hell :) ) if you live in an absolutely perfect place *forever*? So that brought me to the conclusion that I didn't want to go to heaven, but ofcourse I wouldn't want to be tortured in hell till the end of times. It got me confused, and after that I believed that the spirits of dead people would walk around on earth, to stay with their loved ones. But that thought also didn't appeal to me later, because what's so fun about seeing your lovely wife hooking up with a new dude after you died, for example. Nowadays, years later I prefer to believe that there's is really nothing at all after death. Your machine, your body, just quits working, and your spirit will *not* end up in a dark empty place, it will just stop existing. That's what I hope.. I must say that does outer body experiences do interest me a lot btw. Not that I think they make sense, but just because I'm curious to the tricks your brain might play on you, when it's deficient of oxygen for example.

I have similar personal feelings, Ink, but I don't base my opinions off of what I want it to be like, only what has been proven and/or what is most likely what really happens.There's nothing wrong with the concept of a neverending, thoughtless sleep upon dying. It would be a peaceful and restful (naturally) end to one's live (however long or short it may be).As Ink said, if one was able to live for an eternity and do anything, at a certain point, one would have done everything (literally) that there was to do many times over and would know everything (literally) that there was to know. At that point, what purpose would there be in existing? Life (or, more accurately, existance) would be without any goals or anything to look forward to. When that time would come, it would be best just to cease to exist (possibly thus is why humanity will never reach a point at which they know and have explored/done everything because if that point would come, the race as a whole would no longer have a reason to exist [save to spread like parasites, which we already do]). In order to avoid this outcome, humanity builds up to a certain point of understanding, then destroys themselves and forgets what they have learned (in other words, they reboot, so to speak). This keeps them from losing purpose and keeps them in check (at least until we are finally exterminated as a race, be it from the sun exploding, an asteroid, or some other unforeseen circumstance).

terminal2k, I'm not dead nor I think is there any need to be rude. I fully expect people to disagree and nobody has to believe me but that's no reason to be nasty.

I have died, I do remember it and there was no tunnel or light at the end. And yes I do agree the whole tunnel thing is probably random misfirings of neurons kicking up the daisies because of oxygen deprivation. I do remember being dead just as I am able to remember many of my past lives. There was no heaven hell or any of that sort of thing. No feelings, no sadness, no happiness as it were, just peaceful contentment (although I guess that's open for debate whether that is an amotion or not). I have come close to dying on two other occasions with similar experiences.

And once again, you cannot say no one knows without a shadow of a doubt. You are not all-knowing and you do not know what everyone else knows.

As for logic and realism. Many things in science are not as yet conclusively proven and yet because they are logical and have indicators towards their reliabilty they are taken as true. Nobody really knows what an atom's structure is but what we are taught in school is a given. Why? - because it's logical and because experiments have helped (only helped not proven) the validity of the theory.

As for science not being able to prove life after death, humans don't currently have the technology nor the know how to measure and quantify this aspect of the universe yet. You can't prove something if you don't know how to. Not to mention most scientists won't go near the 'paranormal' with a 10 foot barge pole because of the controversy and the potential for them to be labelled as quacks.

If you want logic then here: Evolution is all about a species learning and become better able to fits it's biological niche. The afterlife is the same. Living things have souls to store life experience and to take that experience to the next life to avoid making mistakes and the like. The soul is just another aspect of evolution and becoming better.

Seriously, when you die... where? does your body go? where do your ideas your thoughts your presence go.... Can you imagine what happens? You see you cant jsut die and thats it... you have to keep going. There is a life after death imo because according to Newton energy cant be created nor destroyed. IMO we are energy, we are life.. we cannot be destroyed.

80% of these topics end in flamewars...Just no... I can't force myself to believe in something like that, even if it's easier for everybody to "know" there's something after death. I understand them. It's just crappy to think that after your death you don't exist anymore and it's even crappier when you realize that you're just part of the chain of your species. I'm still having trouble accepting that lol.Let people believe what they want, they'll be happier. Or at least I was.Oh yeah, I don't believe in this "everyone has a soul" thing.

Here's my view on such things. the conciousness that you are is merely one of infinite that your physical body has been. when there is a choice between two(or more) outcomes i believe the unverse follows all of them concurrently. so in my estimation by the time your born you've died an infinite amount of times in every way imaginable already. as for what happens after all your conciousness' die, i believe that what you want/believe to happen will. if that means going to heaven, great, if you're to be reborn you will be etc.