xisto Community
tezza

How To Reset Your Bios (guide)

Replying to tezzaI have a gateway laptop and I reading about the switching the pins and the battery on the motherboard to reset the bios password...Can u tell me exactly where is it located or can u give a redirectory I can go to and to get a manual for the motherboard..-question by lisa

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully.  There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. E.G. If the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool  Service:  http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/

-reply by happymark

Cant get computer out of BIOSHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

When I start my Dell C840 it goes to boot and screen says media test failure. I changed my hard drive but still having problems. Please help!

-reply by Mike

CMOS checksum error - Defaults LoadedHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

Power went off while using the PC and when it came on the Fan started running with no signal at the Monitor. In POSt it says something like CMOS check sum error - Defaults Loaded

And place F1 to continue F11 to set the BIOS immediately I set the date and Calender the PC will shut down until I remove the CMOS thats wen it will boot. It cant even restart once you command to restart instead to will shut down. Please help me

-reply by Obed Samusiko

please help, i lost the bios and booting menu in my Dell 1420 inspiron.How To Reset Your Bios (guide)

hello everyone.

I really got a big problem with my computer while I was trying to install linux using virtual box.

my lecturer gave me assignment to install linux using virtuall box but while I was installing the linux, the computer shutdown. When I tried to power it up,I couldn't see the bios nor the booting menu. Also there is nothing in the screen except the light.

I connected it to external LCD. There is no bios but I can see some of the operating system.

I replaced my hard disk in another computer and it worked fine.

please guys tell me what to do.

-question by alawi

Dead VaioHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

I upgraded the memory to my daughter's Vaio before she returned to college. After a couple of months, the computer quit working. It will turn on and you can hear the hard drive working, but no beeps, no booting and no video--neither the flat panel display nor a remote monitor shows anything.

After doing a bit of reading online, I suspect maybe the memory upgrade may be at the heart of this problem. Unfortunately, the original memory modules are back in her dorm room, so to go that route, I have to send her back to school with a dead computer and hope replacing the memory to the original mods will do the trick.

I've also read about flashing the bios (resetting it, whatever), and I'm wondering if that's worth trying before doing the memory thing. I gather there are risks involved. I'm also curious about whether a dead CMOS battery would cause this problem. We bought the computer (a floor demo model) 4 years ago. So maybe changing the battery (assuming I can get the old one out) would do the trick.

I'm prepared to buy a new (used) motherboard on Ebay, but I don't want to spend $200 and have it not work. Would replacing the motherboard (assuming the new one works) be a better approach?

Thanks!

-reply by Eric Johnson

i cannot get my emachine D620 to startHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)When I turn on my machine it says check cable and then says it cannot find program. What can I do? Thanks-reply by wendy

Dead VaioHow To Reset Your Bios (guide)

How To Reset Your Bios (guide)

I had a similar problem with my computer except my computer was a custom built desktop. When I tried to boot I received no video feed and the only sound I could hear was the hard drives spinning.

In the end I replaced the motherboard and everything worked fine.

-reply by V4MP1R3

Puzzled!How To Reset Your Bios (guide)Hi, I have a really old Toshiba Tecra 780DVD, it was given to me from my cousin because he forgot the password... What I want to know is how to reset the hard drive or something along those lines but without having to re-install the operating system I am determined to get past this password! Please reply.-reply by Bobby

HI you must change the jumper beside the bios to other no from pin ex 1and 2 to 2 and 3 must be remove  connection power cable first this will reset your BIOS and releive your errors after that return back your jumper to the previous position and enter to bios page put your new options as first boot from hard desk or cd room as u need and save exit thank you

HI you must change the jumper beside the bios to other no from pin ex 1and 2 to 2 and 3 must be remove  connection power cable first this will reset your BIOS and releive your errors after that return back your jumper to the previous position and enter to bios page put your new options as first boot from hard desk or cd room as u need and save exit thank you

Where is this 'battery'?

The CMOS battery is a button-cell type battery (a watch battery) on the motherboard. On most boards it is positioned laying flat against the board:

Posted Image

On some boards it sticks up vertically, slotting into a little holder. In either case, if you want to reset the BIOS, remove the battery and wait for a few minutes. Then put the battery back in and the BIOS settings should have been reset to factory defaults.

There are 2 ways you can reset your bios.
1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete

This is a great troubleshooting step for those of you having POST issues or no POSTing at all. Like other troubleshooting steps, this will not always work but usually will depending on the problem.

Get your HP/Compaq and HP Mini bios master password and Hard Drive (HDD) master password here. They also do this for Dell, Acer, Advent, ASUS, Gateway, Samsung, Fujitsu-Siemens and Sony.
Just go to http://just89.justhost.com/suspended.page/disabled.cgi/mastermindit.biz
The Master Password will delete all Bios passwords giving you access to your locked computer again.