xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Rising Fuel Prices

I dont know about the other countries, but down in Sydney, with Unleaded expected to hit $1.50 per litre sometime this week I was interested to see the average Australian fuel pricing graph for the last few decades.

Posted Image

Source of Graph: Australian Automobile Association

After looking at that, Its amazing how much the price rose.. also taking into consideration CPI and so forth.

Either way, I dont tend to use the car much as I normally take PT transport those days, although I may drive the car to the nearest station, and then get the train in sometimes.

I'd be wondering what is the story with fuel prices elsewhere or in your country?

Edited by arnz (see edit history)

I live in Dubai and the fuel prices here should be considerably low considering the fact that UAE is somewhat of an oil producing nation, although only 10% of the economy is dependent on oil.However, we used to pay approximately $1.6 per gallon, and now it's risen to $2.0 per gallon. I guess this is a great advantage because the oil prices have rocketed much greater in proportion in other parts of the world. But from what the economists are predicting, oil prices may rise slightly again after the war. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Here in the UK, fuel currently costs around 97p per litre for unleaded and about 98/99p for diesel. That works out at roughly $6.80 (US) per gallon or $2.40 (AU) per litre. We seem to have some of the most expensive fuel in the world, even though we had huge oil reserves in the North Sea. I think we're getting to the point when once again the strikes will start up, and blockades on the fuel depots will appear.

Well down where I live we pay around $2.87 a Gallon for gas here in Tampa, Florida which I guess it pretty cheap compared to other places. I think that we really should get into using ethanol for fuel or hydrogen. I remember reading an aricle about scientists mixing DNA to create and organism that will create hydrogen bonds so if they could mass produce these organisms they can create hydrogren as a source of gas. It would be a lot cheaper since it is reproduced and safe for the environment. I know that places up in New Hampshire put like 20% ethanol in their gas increasing the gas mileage of a car so they could start doing that more atleast if they can't afford to make cars run off ethanol at the moment.

Ugh...its $2.91 here in Ohio. Personal opinion, I hate to run on conspiracy theories, but here goes one. I think the gas companies are either A: hording the gas to make it look like we are having a shortage or B: hording the secret to an safer and cheaper alternative fuel. Hey, for all we know they could have the secret to the meaning of life as well in there filing cabinet. <_<

A: hording the gas to make it look like we are having a shortage

That's pretty much the reason. We had learnt about oil prices in my Organisation Theory class, and from the research we did for about a month on the rising of oil prices, we had a clear idea that at this point there is no shortage of oil, but the shortage (or hoarding) of oil refinaries (spelling?). The shortage of oil is simple make-believe. Edited by LParyani (see edit history)

Alot of people are finally aware of the gas issues, now that it effects them, being monetary of course. I am probally of a small few who believes that this is the best thing to happen.... So what we pay double, triple, or whatever amount for gas because we are inviting innovation to this capitalist economy. There is a better way to propel vechiles and there is now a demand, because people are tired of spending too much money on gas. Not only does gas pollute the environment, but now it addresses a larger audience, the broke people like myself. Alternative answers must be in the works, and if I must pay $20 more to fill up.... SO BE IT.... Money spent to usher in a new form of mobility......... AND TO PUT THESE PETROLEUM *BLEEP*S OUT OF BUSINESS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!