xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gpinvest

Have Counter Strike Version For Linux Paltforms?

I'm not sure if a version was released for Linux, but you could always run it user Wine to emulate Windows. This page tells you which distros work and how well, and also any problems they have encountered running it.
If you want to download it this page lists downloads for most Linux distros.

Well to my limited knowledge about linux and steam there is no version of steam which can run on linux. Steam is the program which allows you to run Half Life 1 Half Life 2 and source games, and seeing Counter-Strike is a "mod" for Half Life 1 I don't think you will be able to run it on default linux, you could try the emulating with wine but they will cause you major drops in gaming performance most of the time.

Well to my limited knowledge about linux and steam there is no version of steam which can run on linux. Steam is the program which allows you to run Half Life 1 Half Life 2 and source games, and seeing Counter-Strike is a "mod" for Half Life 1 I don't think you will be able to run it on default linux, you could try the emulating with wine but they will cause you major drops in gaming performance most of the time.

I have found a tutorial about installing steam and counter strike under linux wine. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
You may have a look on it.

There are linux dedicated server files for both Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike:Source.

Wine Is andot an Emulator. That's how it gets it's name.  I frequently play CS:S on linux with WINE and I have much better frame rates than on Vista or XP, because Linux uses much less resources to run. Programs through wine run natively, and suffer no performance loss.