xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
braitt

All About Hair! if you want to know facts about your hair maybe this will help you.

hair is very important to some people, maybe because it can dictate what we look like and what other's will think of us. Actually some people base our personality with the way we style our hair. So maybe it is just right if we could know more something about our hair.If you're wondering on what the hair is made up, well, based on my research, the chemical composition of hair is : **Carbon 45%, Oxygen 27%, Nitrogen15%, Hydrogen 6%, Sulphur 5%.****Each hair on your body grows from its own individual hair follicle. Inside the follicle, new hair cells form at the root of the hair shaft. As the cells form, they push older cells out of the follicle. As they are pushed out, the cells die and become the hair we see. A "follicle" will make new cells for a certain period of time depending on where it is located on your body. This period is called the growth phase. Then it will stop for a period of time (the rest phase-- this is why sometimes, it seems that our hair grows too slow unlike some years. and here in the philippines they usually blame it on the barber, thinking that the barber did something wrong while cutting their hair.), and then restart the growth phase again. When the hair follicle enters the rest phase, the hair shaft breaks, so the existing hair falls out and a new hair takes its place. Therefore, the length of time that the hair is able to spend growing during the growth phase controls the maximum length of the hair. The cells that make the hairs on your arms are programmed to stop growing every couple of months, so the hair on your arms stays short, thankfully! The hair follicles on your head, on the other hand, are programmed to let hair grow for years at a time, so the hair can grow very long. i also learned that the growth of our hair varies in different races. in what i read, the asian hair is the fastest growing hair among the races. it can grow about 1.5cm a month while the caucasian hair is the second ranging about 1.2cms a month and the slowest growthrate of hair is the african hair that usually grows 0.8cm a month.

Do you know the effect of Gels, Shampoos etx on hair ? And can you guide us further in how to take good care of hair ?

There is a an old wives tale which says that if hair is left alone, it will become self cleaning. Is there any truth in that, or is it another urban myth.?Another one says that for every grey hair you pull out, you get between 2-6 grey hairs in place of it. (I hope that isn't true.! <_< )Going back to shampoos, there are differnet types of shampoo for different hair types. Now I wash mine with whatever is handy, but does the type of shampoo make a difference?

Well I kind of know how shampoos and conditions work. Shampoos basically work like soap for your hair, just it more gental to prevent stripping on the hair follicle. Shampoos for diffent types of hair do behave differntly on the hair its self, just because of various ingredients in the shampoo and how the effect the hair. For instance, for Fine hair shampoo, the ingredients in the shampoo are mostly to prevent build up on the hair.Conditions on the other hand work like lotion for your hair. Improving the Texture and helping repair damage. Differnt types of conditions for differnt types of hair (and uses) do effect the hair differntly. Such as a condition for Frizzy hair would normally have heavier moisturizers to prevent flyways. I got all my information at Wikipedia and a friend of mine's cosmopolgy (Excuse my Spelling) textbook. I hope I help alittle. <_<

Here are some basic hair care tips that you can use to improve the health and look of your hair. **Okay, in my research, i make sure that i put in some of the basics and not make it look like i'm selling hair products.**First and Foremost, the most basic of all----A healthy lifestyle will mean healthier hair for you. Excessive stress, smoking, not exercising and not eating nutritiously are not healthy for your hair. And of course get enough sleep. About hair products (Gel, mouse, hair spary...)--Avoid using hair styling products with alcohol which dries out hair. Avoid puting hair styling products directly on your scalp, if you put it on your scalp you'll clog the pores on your head. While swimming,--Before entering a pool, wet your hair so your hair will soak up the initial water instead of the chlorinated water. When swimming where a cap to protect your hair from chlorinated water, if you choose not to wear a cap make sure you shampoo and condition your hair right after you are done swimming. Do this so that you will not make your hair super dry even after shower.Drying--As we all know, hot air can be damaging to your hair so when using a hair dryer use the cool setting. Don't leave the blowdryer in one spot for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and at a good distance away from your hair. But here in the Philippines, we have the things caleed "electric fans" so we use them instead.--To speed up the drying process, pat your hair dry with a towell and let the remaining moisture in your hair dry naturally. Never ever dry your hair using the towel as if your rubbing it in your body. Remember, just tap the towel to your hair gently.--Gently use your fingers or a pick to untangle any knots while your hair is drying. Never get wild with your comb in untangling your hair.

also a tip is that many people tighten their hair in a ponytail after swimming/bathing. Don't do this! You will damage your hair also if you do it too tight. Air-dry is thebest way to dry your hair really!Also, if you have dry hair, mayonaise or eggs helps. If you don't like does nature things, you should put in a leave in coniditioner. Whatever you do in your hair , that you want your hair to soak it up real good so it has actually an effect, wrap around your hair a warmt towel! This will help your hair to soak the conditioning or whatever better. Steaming is also good for your dry hair. Especially for frizzy and afrohair. You just wash your hair with a shampoo which makes your hair gentle and something for dry and damages hair will do. You leave the wet hair wrap around a plastic sac orsomething around. bathing cap will do probably. Then you go under the dryingcap (like in the barbershop, easy if you have one at home) for as half hour orso. Result? Amazing. Frizzy curls becomes nice exactly the way as on the tv commercial with that gliss gurl girl, just really works.

Drying--As we all know, hot air can be damaging to your hair so when using a hair dryer use the cool setting. Don't leave the blowdryer in one spot for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and at a good distance away from your hair. But here in the Philippines, we have the things caleed "electric fans" so we use them instead.

--To speed up the drying process, pat your hair dry with a towell and let the remaining moisture in your hair dry naturally. Never ever dry your hair using the towel as if your rubbing it in your body. Remember, just tap the towel to your hair gently.

--Gently use your fingers or a pick to untangle any knots while your hair is drying. Never get wild with your comb in untangling your hair.

All I can say is "Crap. Crap. Crap."

I did all the things you're told NOT to <_< No wonder my hair was going like hay...Oh well, i've had it cut short. No more hard work with my hair :ph34r:

All I can say is "Crap. Crap. Crap."
I did all the things you're told NOT to <_< No wonder my hair was going like hay...Oh well, i've had it cut short. No more hard work with my hair :ph34r:

No offence but maybe you were born with hay like hair? because i do all these things and my hair looks really great. i wonder what went wrong with yours?

Well, there is one thing about hair that I have discovered by myself and I'm certainly not going to forget. Hair burns! I know this may seem logical due to its chemical composition, or maybe many of you didn't know, but it's something that you normally wouldn't do for the sake of experimenting.NEVER try to light a lighter near to your hear. But why would you want to do that? you ask yourself. Well, in my case, I stupidly wanted to know how was the sound of the lighter when lightened up close to the ear, and the only sound I heard was the sound of a flamethrower. After that the right side of my hair was smelling like a barbecue!Never underestimate the power of your hair. Someday it can kill you! :ph34r: By the way, nice advices <_<

You lighted a lighter near your hair? Eh, smart. :)Well anyways, just another tip. For those who want lighter/blonder hair, don't use Sun-in.Many of you are probably wondering what Sun-in is, and that's great. If you see it anywhere and feel tempted to try it out, don't.Sun-in is basically a so called ''natural'' hair lightener, but in fact it is bleach. If you use it once, you're going to have to keep using it because your roots will grow, and eventually your hair will become orange white (like those popsicles!). This happened to my friend, and unfortunatly, she had to chop off most of her hair and wait about a year for it to go back to it's original color. Lemon juice and peroxide work much better, and they won't kill your hair, though they may dry it out a little. Just use a deep conditioner and you'll be fine. :P

Wow, that is great!! I have always wanted to know why the length of the hair in my arms stops growing at a certain length, that is so interesting, and even more that a Xisto member has done this type of research.I was told by a hair stylist that using gel and stuff like that isnt something that will make you loose your hair in a couple of years, and I guess its true because Im 22 and I still have a lot of hair on my head, besides, she said that they usually have vitamins that help it out a bit, the only problem, just as you said is when you get it on the scalp and clog up the pores. The other thing she said that causes damage to your head is scratching or cleaning your head to hard when you are showering, and also wearing a cap all the time. Well thats about all the advice I can remember, what do you think about it?

I have a lot off daNDRUFF IN MY HAIR DO YOU HAVE A REMEDY FOR THAT :lol:You can also put yougurt in your hair for a wile then wash it it will make you hair silky and soft

Notice from jlhaslip:
Use the edit button, please.Avoid back to back or double posting. Thanks