xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tempest

Common Problems In Home Page

Hello! Since I have started to read your forum, at best I like chapter about home pages! I can see just 2 goob home pages from 10 home pages! That sound bad, but that`s true! So I will write down common problems, which you shouldn`t connive in your gome page! Let`s start!

At first let`s start with that, what`s most importmant, to make good web-site!

1)You have to add title for your homepage!

2)You have to choose acute font for your homepage!

3)You have to add some pictures to your homepage!

4)You can`t add to much pictures to your homepage!

5)You can`t use too much colors!

6)Use at max. two colors for your text!

7)Don`t use too much tables, contect areas!

8)Don`t make everything in one big muck-up!

Those are main things that you have to know! Now let`s start more for each of them!

1)Title is one of main things for your homepage, that ugly, if in top of your browser you see - untitled page - Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer! You can add some running text, clock in your status bar too!

So here you go code for page`s title!

<title>Your title goes here</title>

Here you go code for ex. status bar clock! Place this code between <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags.

<script Language="JavaScript"><!-- // Navigation - Stop// Netscapes Clock - Start// this code was taken from Netscapes JavaScript documentation at netscape.aol.com on Jan.25.96
var timerID = null;var timerRunning = false;function stopclock (){if(timerRunning)clearTimeout(timerID);timerRunning = false;}function showtime () {var now = new Date();var hours = now.getHours();var minutes = now.getMinutes();var seconds = now.getSeconds()var timeValue = "" + ((hours >12) ? hours -12 :hours)timeValue += ((minutes < 10) ? ":0" : ":") + minutestimeValue += ((seconds < 10) ? ":0" : ":") + secondstimeValue += (hours >= 12) ? " P.M." : " A.M."window.status = timeValue;// you could replace the above with this// and have a clock on the status bar://timerID = setTimeout("showtime()",1000);timerRunning = true;}function startclock () {// Make sure the clock is stoppedstopclock();showtime();}// --></script>

Place this code within your <BODY> tag

<BODY onLoad="startclock()">

Place this code below your <BODY> tag

<form name="clock" onSubmit="0">

2)Don`t choose fon`t like Verdana 12 pixel for your homepage! That`s really bad! You know, if you have got navigation bar with little size fon`t then write contect with little size font too! and reverse too! But, if you choose to write navigation bar with large font choose medium size font for contect and reverse! Ofcourse you can go and search for new fonts in http://www.dafont.com/de/ or somewhere else!

3)Add some pictures to your homepage! They can`t be too colored, but they have to be in same theme as your page contect, so if you`re writting page about soccer you can`t put there picture with spider-man! It always looks nice, if you use picture with sky, grass and woman:) Sometime you can change it to grayscale!

4)Don`t add too much pictures, it looks too colored and doltish. About 1-3 pictures in each navigation!

5)Colors is the bigest problem for everyone! Everyone like to use - black, white with nice green color! That normal, but if you add some more colors that goes too mud!

6)Use just one color for text! Change Active Link, Link colors to same color! Hover links color you can change to same as head-background or something bit darker! Don`t color out just single letters... Don`t start each sentence with each color!

7)Don`t use tables and contect bars! It enought with 3 contect bars! Head contect, guestbook and something else! If you use tables for your hoem page tur borders off, just change Borders to 0, or if you want to use them, then put on bigger Cell-pending!

8)Don`t place everything in same place! Try to partition each contect with horizontal line or something else! Don`t put menu atop contect, if you don`t use table for contect!

++++

Don`t you light red color with black color!

Don`t use any garish color with black!

At better try to even don`t use garish colors!

Change your scroll bar colors!

i do not think it is a good idea to use custom fonts, like the ones to download at dafont.com because not all the visitors wil have that font and therefore they will not be able to see the content. I suggesting using the ones that come inyour computer, just find one that looks good.

As boring as they may be, you are far better off with "web-safe" fonts, such as Times, Arial, Verdana and Tahoma as they are easy to read and every computer has them. Also, the clock in the status bar is not necessarily a good idea, as they annoy a lot of people and don't work in many browsers.

i do not think it is a good idea to use custom fonts, like the ones to download at dafont.com because not all the visitors wil have that font and therefore they will not be able to see the content. I suggesting using the ones that come inyour computer, just find one that looks good.

Yeah, fonts from dafont.com you can use as image, then everyone see them!

for the font issue you could set it up to use several fonts incase one or two do not work, to do this you can use CSS

in an external css file simply put

p {font-family : veranda, Comic sans ms, times new roman}

What this does is says "right anything between the <P> tags has to have a font of veranda...uhoh i cant use veranda ill try comic, uhoh i cant use that either, better try Times new roman, aha! i can use that" and so the font uses times new roman

incase anyone doesnt know you simply put the following into the head of the HTML

<link rel=stylesheet type=text/css href="location/filename.CSS">

:) in my opinion the best and easiest way to ensure a smooth font system for everyone
Edited by shadowx (see edit history)