xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grimreaper423

Work Experience ive got it on monday woot

a little information about Work experience

Work experience is the experience that a person has working, or working in a specific field or occupation.
The phrase is sometimes used to mean a type of volunteer work that is commonly intended for young people - often students - to get a feel for professional working environments. This usage is common in the United Kingdom (the American equivalent is intern). Though the placements are usually always unpaid, travel and food expenses are sometimes covered, and at the end of the appointment, a character reference is usually provided. The trainee usually has the opportunity to network and make contacts among the working personnel, and put themselves forward for any forthcoming opportunities for paid work.

However, in competitive freelance industries, the demand for placements can often be overwhelming. Though many people have professionally benefited from this type of experience, it’s advisable for persons to consider the financial implications of a placement -- there is a gentlemen’s agreement that it should never last more than one month -- and how exactly they would get their effort's worth once it’s over in the correct give and take relationship.

Work experience is compulsory for students in Year 10 in the United Kingdom and Australia. The majority of the students have to arrange the two week placement at the employer by themselves however help from the school or college is offered. Often, the students are given placements by the school without the student having a choice. If a student fails to find a placement then they are forced to attend school everyday aiding the caretaker. Recent regulations restricted the availability of locations as students are not prohibited from working at a company outside the conurbation of the city or abroad. Safety checks on the companies are now more thorough and students who arrange placements at failed companies are forced to find a new placement. Students are not permitted from working at companies with an employee count below 5 due to insurance problems. This often ruled out small shops which were run by the student's relatives or friends. It is not banned for the employee to pay the student however it is not encouraged. These regulations do not apply to people who take work experience when it is not compulsory.

what i think its not fair cuz you dont get paid :)

sorry i forgot the link i got it from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_experience
Edited by grimreaper423 (see edit history)

Yes I just did work experience last week from monday to friday at Toys 'r us! I will tell you, it was the hardest week of my LIFE! I guess it was becuase I am not used to being on my feet from 9 to 5 in very uncomfortable shoes.

a little information about Work experienceWork experience is the experience that a person has working, or working in a specific field or occupation.

The phrase is sometimes used to mean a type of volunteer work that is commonly intended for young people - often students - to get a feel for professional working environments. This usage is common in the United Kingdom (the American equivalent is intern). Though the placements are usually always unpaid, travel and food expenses are sometimes covered, and at the end of the appointment, a character reference is usually provided. The trainee usually has the opportunity to network and make contacts among the working personnel, and put themselves forward for any forthcoming opportunities for paid work.

However, in competitive freelance industries, the demand for placements can often be overwhelming. Though many people have professionally benefited from this type of experience, its advisable for persons to consider the financial implications of a placement -- there is a gentlemens agreement that it should never last more than one month -- and how exactly they would get their effort's worth once its over in the correct give and take relationship.

Work experience is compulsory for students in Year 10 in the United Kingdom and Australia. The majority of the students have to arrange the two week placement at the employer by themselves however help from the school or college is offered. Often, the students are given placements by the school without the student having a choice. If a student fails to find a placement then they are forced to attend school everyday aiding the caretaker. Recent regulations restricted the availability of locations as students are not prohibited from working at a company outside the conurbation of the city or abroad. Safety checks on the companies are now more thorough and students who arrange placements at failed companies are forced to find a new placement. Students are not permitted from working at companies with an employee count below 5 due to insurance problems. This often ruled out small shops which were run by the student's relatives or friends. It is not banned for the employee to pay the student however it is not encouraged. These regulations do not apply to people who take work experience when it is not compulsory.

what i think its not fair cuz you dont get paid :)

I work for a large company and we have had several students come through under work experience, usually only for 1 week at a time. I always thought the purpose was to give the student an idea of what working in that particular job would be like. I was also under the impression the student MUST be paid, (in Australia anyways) and the minimum payment is $5.00 per day, our company usually doubles that payment. Pretty low payment, but better than nothing.

We have had quite a few students return and apply for a full time position, some have been successful and some haven't. While doing the work experience doesn't guarantee a job, it does help. The reason is the employer sees it as interest from a prospective employee, an interested employee is always going to be a better employee. Anyone can be trained if they have the interest.

I wish you luck with your work experience.

I fully agree with Avalon. Interest is everything. A guy with interest will definately yield better results than the others.A person with interest would think more about having some uniqueness in his work and values appreciation more than money. He feels his job is completed when he is happy and not his boss :-)

I did my work experience a month or two ago at a shop fitting design and manufactoring company, they said i was the best work experince pupil they ever had and offered me a job and payed me ?100 for the week. They also said that nobody had ever (on workexperience) learned quickly enough to actually create any designs that they could actualy use. Next time any of you go into a new asda the watch was a genuine bkag design lol.Edit : this sounds very big headed sorry

Edited by Bkag (see edit history)

I've done work experience as a office admin at a racing course, and a marine centre.. didnt mind it but it wasnt what i wanted to do.. and my first two sites i did was pretty much an unpaid job, although the second one netted me an unexpected $200 for over 2 weeks work.