xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grnjd

Video Card, Asus Geforce upgrade

Ok, I think my pc is fast enough to handle a video upgrade. Here are the spec

P4 3.0ghz HT

Motherboard: ASUS P4SD-LA with Intel 848P chipset <--got no idea what that means but it supports agp and pci

1.5 gig of ram

160gig harddrive

radeon 9200

My computer is like 2 years old

My main concern is if my computer has enough power to supply video cards such as the nivida 6800 or the radeon x800. I believe my computer has like 200 watts powersupply. So is it possible for me to upgrade my graphic card? What do i need to look into in order for my newly about to be bought video card to work? Upgrade my powersupply (and how?) or get a new motherboard (possible?). This is my first time trying to do this so I'm totally lost, any help will be appericated.

And do I have to install a new powersupply? Can i use an external powersupply (is that possible?).

Oh yea, how is this card

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

is it any good?

Your computer will handle the card fairly well I believe. I wouldn't go much higher than a 6800GS with that CPU though. 200 Watts is rather low though. I believe for warranty purposes and just for reliability you will need a better power supply. Most computers these days are fitted with at least a 400 watt one if they've got a dedicated graphics card (although the actual number really depends on brand).A new motherboard may help, as the old AGP slot is getting on, and most new cards run on PCI-e which is faster and the equivalent cards made for it are cheaper. I'm not familiar with the Intel slots, but you'll have to tell us what kind of CPU you have (slot wise) before anyone can advise you on if a motherboard upgrade is possible.Yes. I personally wouldn't upgrade without a new PSU, and I have no heard of any viable external powersupplies (though I may be corrected)I would not recommend the vanilla 6800. Whilst the Radeon 9200 you have is rather basic, I would say at least upgrade to a 6600GT while you're at it :) (reasonable performance for games), unless you're into overclocking.

Since your board is a P4 from asus you gor a socket 478 processor.
With socket 478 I think there are no mainboards with a PCI-e slot.

I can't find your mainboard on the asus site, so i'm not quite sure.

Mainboards with a 775 socket from Asus starts with P5 ...

Found your mainbord it's a mainboard made by Asus for HP.
So I think your computer maybe a HP and it has only an AGP 8x slot , you can find the layout of your board here (comments are in Dutch)
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1044537

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

You may need to get a new Power Supply if you want to stick a more modern video card in there.Cards like the 6800GS and/or X800/X850 probably won't be able to make-do with only a 200 Watt PSU...

No signal

Video Card, Asus Geforce

I have a K8 upgrade NF3 ,motherboard and am using a Radeon 9250 graphics card. I have been having problems that the computer shuts down and I get the nessage no signal on the black screen, Have bought a new grahics card a Radeon x 1650pro and would like to know if the motherboard will take it. Can anyone please help.

-question by Jean Kendell