xisto Community
Johnny

Video/computer Game Cliches

[Let's slide this back on topic. No worries though Yume, you're good. Or evil, whatever floats your boat.]

Everybody but you knows you're gonna save the world - Why is it that everyone and their momma is somehow equipped to help you in some way shape or form? And not only that, you usually have to do one [or several] of the aforementioned Over-complicated Sidequests in order to receive whatever item/ability/service you need from them.

"Yeah, I know the world is going to blow up if I don't give you this packet of ex-lax, but could you run over to my grandma's and feed her chickens first? I mean...I'm against dying as much as the next guy, but she'll be kinda pissed at me if the chickens don't get fed."

Like your grandma won't be seriously peeved when she finds out she and her chickens are dead because you didn't fork over a packet of laxatives.

Too many reagents needed - Let's say your inventory can hold only up to a hundred of all item types. Suppose you need a hundred phoenix feathers to create a small jar of firepowder. Now imagine needing a hundred jars of firepowder to create a smal vial of nitro and a hundred vials of nitro to split apart the boulder that stands between you and the world's one-step salvation. Oh, might I add that phoenix feather's aren't obtained as easily as buying them from stores, hell no! You'd have to hunt for the rare phoenixes who may or may not even drop their feathers.

Double jump - Quite common on 2d scrolling game. Would you really honestly expect me to believe you can actually kick in midair and jump higher? :lol:

Overworld - not exactly objectionable but not exactly un-cliche. Look, it took me three minutes (or 300 steps) to reach the front gate of this school from my dormitory. However, it only takes 30 seconds (or 30 steps) to reach the nearest town? Wow, your character sure have large steps when you "stretch your legs in the great outdoors" :lol:

No weather - This is understandable although it does seem odd when it's always bright and sunny in your world. I may or may not be talking of the Sims :( Some games found a way around this, though. Zelda: A Link to the Past had a particlar weather for every screenful (rain and, well, not rain) The skies of FFVIII, on the other hand, change color depending on wherever in the planet you are.

There will allways be games with features from your list which might seem retarded, but creating something already made is much more easy than thinking of something original. If you play a game like Battlefield you will see it? s entirely different than a game like Call of Duty 2 (which is kinda the same as the original Call of Duty and the upcomming Call of Duty 3 besides some graphical changes) or Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory... I like 2nd world war games as long as they have original features...

Hidden Rare Items: There will be a super rare item or summon in a nearby cave that some elder has divulged to you. This item will sometimes be incredibly easy to obtain. Why then, does nobody else go and get it? It's as if it's reserved for you, and nobody else can touch it.

overused cliche

Video/computer Game Cliches

ONE MAN ARMY: Come on, it gets really boring when only one man can kill everything. Plus, if that one man really kills that many people by himself, then why did humanity get wipped out so fast.

Escoring missions: Annoying, painfully boring, and tense due to stupid A.I.

Hidden power to save the world: nuff said, sorry if someone else said it.

-reply by matt