xisto Community
Plenoptic

Using Fingers Instead Of Credit Cards

this reminds me of in back to the future 2!
speaking of fingerprints, i've also seen the fingerprint-protected hard drives. not exactly sure how they work, but the idea is REALLY cool

I belive that these hard drives use some sort of "on-the-fly" encryption to decrypt data as it is requested by the computer when the proper fingerprint in presented. The fingerprint is likely stored in some sort of EPROM chip or the like.

Do you, by any chance, have a link to a retail page for these hard drives?

Back on topic, I'd only support the fingerprint-credit-card idea if the data about what you bought was kept for only a couple months and specificly off-limits to the government.

what if the information got mixed up and later you realized that someone has just charged everything into your account? these stuff should be fool-proof and 100% safe that nobody's going to use your identity for their own greedy needs.

I belive that these hard drives use some sort of "on-the-fly" encryption to decrypt data as it is requested by the computer when the proper fingerprint in presented. The fingerprint is likely stored in some sort of EPROM chip or the like.
Do you, by any chance, have a link to a retail page for these hard drives?

Back on topic, I'd only support the fingerprint-credit-card idea if the data about what you bought was kept for only a couple months and specificly off-limits to the government.

The link for a fingerprint hard drive (just did a google search) is here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. It's made by LaCie industries and is $200. This one seems to be the leading competitor, because a couple of links on google also sold this one.

Don?t know about fingerprints but I have seen that there are some pubs here in Spain (so I suppose that there must be lots of them in other countries) that insert you a microchip under the skin in the back or in the shoulder maybe, not sure. And you pay that way. I think people is stupid to have a chip implanted that is only used to pay drinks in a disco. And what if the next month the butchery starts using a different microchip, and so does the hairdresser... you?ll end filled with useless microchips in every part of your body. Ridiculous.

no way fingerprint that will never catch on peaple can esey copy ur fingerprint and BANG you have no money so Credit Card is best for now

Thousands of people already use it, maybe millions. They just started doing it in my area there is one store about a 20 minute drive. I might go check it out. It is used in many places around the U.S and more opening every week. I don't think many people recognize that it would be easy for people to steal something but you know I think they do have a PIN number of some sort or something to keep people from using your fingerprints.