xisto Community
mahesh2k

Need Help With Design Of Site?

I'm in the process of signup with Xisto - Web Hosting and my site will be up and running in few days.I want to know how can i make wordpress blog as my default site and also how to install wordpress in cpanel? How to make it my default website?How to add new themes to it?Anyone with realtime expreince please help me with the steps.I tried the official docs of wordpress but they are not helpful atall,over technical language.Please help me,is it good to choose wordpress or b2evolution or anyohter if im signed up for adsense.

Ok, here are some steps that you can follow.

Making Wordpress (WP) your default site.

Login to your Xisto cPanel (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

Once you are logged in, scroll down to the 'preinstalled scripts' box

Then, click on Fantastico

In Fantastico, click on Wordpress, under the blogs section.

In the box on the right, Click on 'New Installation (2.0.2)'

Select the domain/subdomain you want to install Wordpress on.

Since you want your default site to be the Wordpress blog system, leave 'Install in directory' blank

Under the 'Admin access data' section, enter the administrative details.

Under 'Base configuration' enter the required details (Admin nickname, Admin e-mail, Site name,

Description - you can edit all these details later on!)

Enter the 'E-mail account configuration' details as provided by Xisto

After filling all the required information, click on the 'Install WordPress' button

If there are any errors, you will see a message like 'The installation can not be completed:'

If you already installed another script via Fantastico in the root of the website, you will see an error message saying: 'You cannot install more than one script in the root directory of a domain.' To solve this problem, you will have to delete the previously installed script from the website.

I all the information is correct, you should see a message similar to:

Install WordPress (2/3)

The MySQL database and MySQL user yourUsername_wrdp1 will be created and used for this installation.

- You chose to install in the domain DomainName.trap17.com, in a subdirectory called.

- The access URL will be: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Click on Finish installation to continue.

Now, click on the Finish Installation button and you are done! :)

These steps will set your default site as the WordPress blogging system!

For installing new themes, follow these simple steps

Download your desired theme (for this example, I will use Connections - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

Unzip the file and you will see a folder that says Connections

Minimize this folder window and connect to your site via FTP (SmartFTP recommended - use this wonderful tutorial if you need help with SmartFTP: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/37247-smartftp-ftp-using-smartftp/)

First, go to public_html.

Then, go to wp-content (assuming you installed the Wordpress blog system in your root directory).

Then open up the themes folder.

Now, drag the WordPress theme folder (Connections in this case) and drop it in the themes folder of your site (via FTP)

After the folder has been uploaded, login to your WordPress Administration Panel.

In the menu located at the top, click in the 'Presentations' link

Once the page loads, you should see the newly uploaded theme under the 'Available Themes' title.

Now, click on the *new* theme that you want to use

You will see a message on the top of the page, that says "New theme activated. View site ť"

Click on View Site ť to view your new theme in action

Hope this helps :(
Edited by Paul (see edit history)

I currently run my own Wordpress blog and have set quite a few up for friends. If you want any help then email me or get me on MSN messenger and I will be glad to help you.Theme installation is very simple. Download a theme (there are thousands listed all over the web) and if it is a .ZIP archive then extract it. Upload the folder into the /wp-content/themes/ directory. Then go into your Wordpress admin panel and enable the new theme.

I can help you with pretty much anything, just pm me what exactly you need and I will walk you through the steps to making an excellent eye catching webpage witch is also fun to look through(graphix). If you have a professional looking layout people will be more attracted hence you will have more hits for your website.Let me know.

Thanks savage i will certailny need your help,as i m looking for cool log design for my site.anyway back to the problem,PAUL the procedure is for Xisto hosted site is it same method if you have your own domain i.e http yourdomain .com etc.Consider that i'm hosted with Xisto - Web Hosting and my domain is top level i.e myname.net so how can i add wordpress as default.Once again thanks in advace.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)