xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

Two Users On One Computer

Got a question, Again. I want to be able to have to monitors, Two keyboards, And two mouses. So that they can be all hooked up to one computer but I can have several users doing different things. But so that I can connect to the internet on the computer and all the users be able to share it at the same time. I have Dial-up. So the question is, If I get another monitor card so I can hook up two monitors will that work? Then there is this thing that you plug it into your computer, and it comes with software and it has several monitor, keyboard, and mouse ports on this thing. Which would work? Thanks.

Let me try to rephrase your question. Are you asking if one computer can have two users doing different things at the same time?With the current technology available for home usage, you can only have one command per user. Which means only one keyboard/mouse action per computer. Two keyboards and two MICE (correct grammar) that are attached to one computer cannot independently act simultaneously.

Are you thinking of a network, because this setup is the only way I know that can use one computer by differnt users. And to do this you need the software and hardware to support this. The operating system for a start must be one that supports multi users and set up for this purpose.

Edited by tonyused (see edit history)

Its hard to understand what he is exactly talking about but is he maybe thinking of trying to set it up as a server? Except with out other computers indirectly connecting to it? But instead the keyboards hooked directly to it?

I agree with BuffaloHELP. One CPU can't do those actions simultaneously. I've seen a CPU that can switch between Monitor A (primary OS) and Monitor B (secondary OS) via some switching command. I've never tried this myself because of the lack of RAM, but I do know that it's possible... But even if it does that, you can only do it one at a time. You can't have both running at once (and people working on them simultaneously) UNLESS you have another CPU (which is the most plausible way of doing what you meant in your post). You need 2 CPUs to run a "network" (no matter how small the number is, you can't do it with only one CPU!) and have people work on stuff simultaneously. You need to get another CPU.In the case of sharing your internet connection with another computer, you need a router. Connect it to your modem and to both computers. Your router's manual should provide more in-depth information.

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Hai, there is a software called beTwin (similar to PC cloning), we could have 5 monitor (with five video card on mainboard) and (keyboard and mice) connected using USB...you can buy it.

I could not tell you the specifics behind it but I had some tech sauvy friends that did the two monitors and two mice thing on the same computer before. Its very interesting. You have to have a computer that has alot of ram. I don't know what software you need or anything like that but I do know its possible.

'beTwin' looks nice software.Since there are (modern) CPU's with dual-core (2 CPU in one component).even the (older) Intel CPU's have the Hyperthreading feature with means you can split up 1 CPU in 2 parts.And the CPU spreads the CPU dynamic over the 2 parts.So most of the modern CPU's have enough CPU power for several users.So I think that the CPU is not the bloking factor.As long they don't do CPU intensive jobs at the same time like photo editing, movie edits , ...

I know it is possible to do this I just need to know how. If you go to here: http://usera.imagecave.com/Disturbed/dual-ual-station.jpg
You can see what I am talking about. That is basicly what I want. So that i can have two people on seperate monitors, with seperate keyboards and MICE(grammer correction) running off of one computer. So that I can connect to the Internet using my dial-up, and the person sitting next to me can pull up another browser and tap into my connection. And i want to be able to do this without haveing to set up a network or use two computers. Understand now? So, anybody have a solution?

I know it is possible to do this I just need to know how. If you go to here: http://usera.imagecave.com/Disturbed/dual-ual-station.jpgYou can see what I am talking about. That is basicly what I want. So that i can have two people on seperate monitors, with seperate keyboards and MICE(grammer correction) running off of one computer. So that I can connect to the Internet using my dial-up, and the person sitting next to me can pull up another browser and tap into my connection. And i want to be able to do this without haveing to set up a network or use two computers. Understand now? So, anybody have a solution?

If you look this link you see almost the same picture as you have :
http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_pc_sharing_betwin.aspx
There is also a link for a 7 day trail version, so you can try if you have the hardware.

That is exactly what i need! Thank you so much. Now all I need is a PCI VGA Card, And a USB hub, and I'm ready to rumble! Thanks again every for all your help.

Okay guys, I found what I needed. And for all those who dont know how to do this or would even want to, I am going to tell you how. First of all, if you dont already have am extra VGA port, you need one of those. Also you need either a PS/2 to USB converter hub for mouse and keyboard or a mouse and keyboard that are both USB and then you just need a USB hub. Once you have those there is a software for windows that costs a hundred dollars(not bad considering) to buy. Now the way this software works is that you can have two to five other computers running off your base computer. But for all the other computers you need enough VGA ports and either PS/2 to USB or a big USB hub with keyboards and mice to go with them. Then once you have them all plugged in and everything, the software has those other computers log in with their own user name and password. But once you do, you can share stuff on the computer, the other computers can do different things simultaneously, and you can share the internet, all with one phone line, and one modem. So it is like having all your computers browsing the web but on one line. So you can have dial-up! Now they also have a package that comes with all the hardware and software you need to hook up two computers, but it is two hundred and fifty dollars. So for the price conscious, the hundred buck one is the best, then you just go get the other parts if you need them. But if you dont know squat about computers the two hundred fifty isnt a bad thing to consider.

Here is the web site to get the software. http://www.thinsoftinc.com/index.aspx
The one without hardware is called BeTwin 2000/XP
Then there is one that is just like it but you can choose between two different packages.
It is called Buddy B-680 Premium/ Lite

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Replying to JC05Hi, I have a copy of Betwin on my Computer which I got from thinsoft. After installing and using it for a couple of months it started mulfunctioning. I was later told I needed to upgrade it and thinsoft gave a link and I did download. But after installi ng it I still cant have the other 'twin' working properly on startup both screen come on and am requested to choose keyboard and mouse for each but soon after that, one of them goes off. Can somebody please help?-reply by Yese Bwalya