xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blacklaser

Google Launches Picasa Web Albums

Google has recently launched Picasa Web albums with 250 MB of free and ad-less space for pictures. The Upload throuh picasa is easy as it can get and also the web interface for organizing and modifying is easy to understand and use. Even though Google's album format is not a design-miracle it does the trick and looks good enough for private photo collections. I've used flickr (the free version) before and I must say Picasa Web beats it by far. Overall I think Google did an awesome job with Picasa and Picasa Web both form an great package to organise and share pictures. 2 thumbs up from me. Link: picasaweb.google.com

Addendum: I foud this great comparison between flickr and Picasa Web Albums:

cam2009.googlepages.com/photos I agree almost 100% with the author.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

well, nice compairson there! He has taken up all the issues one by one.Anyway, Picasa webalbum seems to be good however, it has static 250 mb however, Flickr has 20 mb every month. So that is where it gets good but yet again I think out of all these photo sharing services Slide.Com is the best...the reason : Unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth & nice slideshows :rolleyes:

Well, aslong as this doesn't turn into a "piczo website builder" >.<It's good to know of a few decent image uploaders, although I'm not that much a cheap skate, so I use my own hosting :rolleyes:

Picasa looks really good, but I agree with Mayank, Slide.com gives you alot more features and space. I'm going to check out Picasa though, thanks for the heads up. :)

From what I have just seen I think that they did a good job creating the Albums, I myself use my own person home server albums for all my needs in pictures I have. Though I may choose to use Picase since I have not gave my server a good style in the way it all looks.

The basic service is ok, nothing that hasn't been done before (just this time its got that classic Google shine applied to it, hell the name alone will sell it to most people), plus that fact that Picasa itself ain't half bad will help too. I do have one big problem with it though (and a smaller one too). I'll start with the smaller one, the fact that it stretches smaller images to fit into the viewer.Now the far bigger (and I might add quite evil, if its intentional) the service appears to block Opera from viewing images. If you click a link (to view an image, the rest of the service is fine) you (well I am) are treated to a 500 internal server error, But click the same link with Opera set to mask itself as Firefox and the image loads up fine. Now I'm not accusing Google of anything its just clear that this is not a problem with the browser.Note: refreshing the error page with the ua set to Firefox returns an error message too, so it's porbably unintentional.

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

Does anyone know just how private "Unlisted" albums are?Unlisted albums are given a hard-to-guess URL, to me this seems like a creative but quite insecure way of making something private.

I am disappointed in one aspect in particular. The preview thumbnails for picasa on the desktop doesn't function. Therefore, I have to open the entire picasa program. However, the uploads are really smooth. The sharing functioning could be refined some.