xisto Community
Juhae

System Wars, Will They Ever End?

The System Wars have been around for many years. So long, that the war is older than me and my parent too for that matter. Currently there are 3 main powers: Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. These 3 companies have been in a huge "System War" to see who's system is the best of them all. Nintendo brought in the Gamecube a few years ago into the ring, Microsoft; the xbox, and Sony with the PS2. But, once that war was over and all three companies still thrived in the end, a new war comes into the saga. This year and next year, Microsoft has unleashed the Xbox360, Nintendo will be introducing the Wii, and Sony will let loose the amazingly powerful PS3. How long will this System War last? Until PS9 comes out? For all we now, it might never end.

The last intresting fact that i would like to say was a quote by Nintendo:

The Wii will not be in the System War, because it is not an upgraded sytem. We are bringing in a whole new way to play video games.

Is this a plead for ending the System War? Or just another weapon?

I think your topic is in the wrong section, try to PM a mod to put it in the right section.What I prefer is the PS3, it has awesome graphics so you could replace PS2 in your topic with PS3.

Simply put, it never will end.It all started with Atari, Collecovision and the like. Their not around now because of Nintendo. Nintendo beat them out with the price vs. performance of the original NES.Then along came Sega. Sega and Nintendo butted heads for years, both sides claiming they had the better systems. This lasted through the late 80s and early 90s.Then Sony dropped the bomb with the PS1. Unlike the SegaCD system that was extremely pricey, the PS1 allowed the expanded world of CD based games for a lot cheaper. Plus, Sony got in good with all the top developers.Sega eventually made a last stab with the Dreamcast which flopped horribly. I bought one and thought it rocked, but apparently sales weren't that great on the unit. This loss caused Sega to withdraw from the console market and start developing only software.Towards the end of that Microsoft threw it's hat in the ring, but honestly, they've approached it all wrong in my opinion. To this day they are still working out the kinks in their business model. They may straighten out or they might belly up... either or is still possible.I don't see Nintendo going anywhere soon. They are trying to shift the gaming industry to a more interactive world. Sony has found deep roots in their line. They could have said the PS3 was going to be $1500 and people would still snap them up. Microsoft, as long as they don't piss any more customers off, might still make it. Too many recalls though in my opinion. Either way, the market will only support 2-3 main console vendors. Anything more than that and the weaker systems won't even hit the radar of most people. (Neo-Geo & TurboGraphix 16 for example) Give it another 10 years and you'll probably see another player enter the mix and try and muscle someone out. Either way, the war will never be over... not as long as people have $$$ to spend.

Well, that history bit was surely a refresher :)As technology is constantly evolving, there'll always be a newer, 'flashier', 'better' product on the market. And since we can never keep up, we'll keep shelling out our hard earned dollars to get our hands on these devices."Will the system wars end?" parallels asking the question "Will we suddenly come to a halt and say, 'Hey, you know what, I think we're done. Technology and scientific advancement has reached it's peak and we can go no further'?"...Yeah right.

lol I really don't think it matters about the System War. I could care less who is better and what not. I have a Playstation 2 and don't plan on buying anything else. I might buy future Playstations because I like their system but I am not gonna buy the best just to have it. They are having this war to make money and I have no problem with that. We aren't really effected by it that much except for advertising on the TV. It isn't like we have to buy them. They can war all they wan't and it won't end until they go out of business.

Unfortunately, the system wars will go on forever. Each system has it's own unique special qualties that will have people arguing that this system is better than all the others. Each team will continue to compete, and I think we'll see a few new ones along the way. Just like when Microsoft came on the spot, I think we could see other companies doing the same (Apple perhaps?). Anyways, I think this will only get worse and worse as the years go on and competition will be tougher than every.

system wars will never end. there will always be console fanboys who will stick with their system. in my opinion i think microsoft is the best because they have PC's. so in my opinion, even though i have a PS2, xbox will always be better. that is why xbox 360 is my choice for my nexgen console.

The system wars all come about in the first place because companies are more worried about selling their system and keeping people there than making the games.Honeslty why do you think so many games nowadays just suck? Because companies are trying to pump them out as fast as they can so they can say they have the better system for people to play on. Sewriously if you game companies make their games up to what they really want them to be people will I think stay on a particular system just because a certain company makes good games. Take Polyhony Digital they take a bout a billion years to make each installment of the Gran Turismo series. You know why they can get away with that? Because companies know that if you let that team take their time they will put a visually stunning game that everyone will buy. (Honestly they add more to it if you ask me yeah putting a bunch of new options is great now if only those new options weren't so limited)If there was only one console manufacturer making a system they could really focus on making it great then just not let them make first party games. But that won't happen because America and Japan have become to Corporate for their own good.

System Wars? I think this is over-rated word.I mean they are companies working on same product type.From this point of view, there are "Chocalete Wars", "Car Wars", "Vacum Cleaner Wars"...I meant of course there will be different companies producing same product type. This isnt war, this is economy.The real system war is between PCs and Game Consoles. Not between companies but between ideas, stlyes, habits etc...I ask you, will game conseles win the war, take over gaming habits? This should be the real question about "System Wars".There will be always different game consele manufactors. It's the way of ecomicy works :)

I think we could see other companies doing the same (Apple perhaps?)

They actually did enter the system wars. They made an absolutely horrible game console called the pippin that was released under bandai's name with Mac OS software. It flopped horribly.

I find system wars kind of pointless. Mainly because, well, systems are just peices of plastic that are made to play games. The only diffrance between new systems (to me) are the games you can play, the whole you can play DVDs and CDs on them, and graphics. Graphics are awesome, but the greatest graphics arent really needed, and sometimes the graphics just depend on the game. The DVD and CD thing, I find slightly pointless, too. I dont know one person who actually uses their Xbox, or PS2 to play DVDs, or CDs really. Although, the festure for xbox for putting your songs on the xbox is pretty cool. Oh, and another differance is the controllers. The Wii controller is a bit insane...and the PS3 and 360 ones..are..well...not so insane. System wars will never end...but to me, their a bit pointless.

Honestly in the end I think the Consoles will win out over PC's in this game. I say this with confidence because yes the computer is actually more powerful than the game consoles but it cost way more money to stay up on the edge of things to have the best experience because Computer game are made to their own specifications rather to the system. A console game is designed to work perfectly on the game console it's running on meaning you will get great video quality, sound, no choppyness because the game won't ask more from the console's videocard than is there like a computer game will. Pretty much PC games are better normall than a console game but a console game will always run better than a computer game. And it's very much easier to buy a console and not have to worry about hardware than to go and buy specific pieces for a computer and then hope it works with no bugs. And most people wouldn't know what anything does inside a computer so why would they try and replace something just for a game?

My prediction is that it will never end. Even after Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are done competing, I am sure that there will be other companies that will build video gaming systems. The video gaming industry is growing larger every day and it seems only logical that more companies will try and build more systems that outdo the competitor. So, it will never end.